Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 9:32:22 AM EDT
So, PCA is opening a store in Jeff City. What can we expect?

And yeah, I'm in the business so part of this is professional, but I'm a gun guy, too, so I like more local options.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
They carry a lot of inventory. I haven't been in for a while but they had over 20 AR's, some AR pistols, nice selection of handguns, the last time I was in. Didn't have much in the way of accessories. Prices fairly close to retail on handguns and maybe a tish under on AR's. They seem to do a fair business. They also seem to run it like a business. No regular's standing or sitting  around bullshitting. No chairs for customers which is a good idea unless you want to visit and not do business.

Kind of set up for today's customers and not yesterday's.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time I was in there an employee was whining on the phone with a distributor. He was saying in a condescending voice to send him another Henry Arms rifle because the customer was upset when he got the rifle there was a large scratch on the receiver.

Staff isn't very helpful at all. I have walked in with a wallet full of money, had trouble getting assistance and walked out after awhile.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
They suck.

The first time I went in I could not tell who worked there and who didn't. About 6-7 people walking behind and in front of the counter handling weapons and forms. One guy went on and on about hookers and cocaine.

I transferred two rifles through them. First one they bragged about how much cheaper they could have got the lower for me. When they looked at my invoice they stopped show boating.

Second transfer they nearly lost the paperwork for it. They told me no paperwork came with the rifle. Coming from out of state and from another FFL I could not see how that was possible. When I asked to see the box it came it we found the paperwork...Tapes in full layout in a clear envelope...to the box...just under the shipping label.

They have the stuff yes. But their prices are highway robbery. $240 for a 8# jug of IMR 4064? All of their reloading stuff, what little they have, is marked way up.

A co-worker of mine's FIL had a very bad experience with a flash light they sold. Didn't work fresh out of the box. They claimed all sales final on lights and optics. He pulled the "I buy a lot of stuff here" card and they exchanged it. Same thing with that one. And the next one. And the next one.

Another people I know was in there about a year to year and a half ago. One of the employees was on the phone with a distributor or a manufacturer. A person had bought a pistol or revolved, don't remember which. It came in brand new. It had a scratch on the finish. The customer declined it and asked for another one. The employee was on the phone with whoever saying how picky the customer was.

I am in search of a new FFL.

If I had $50k I would open my own store and put my money where my mouth is. Problem is I don't have $50k.

My $0.02, take it for what it is.

*edit* See above post for confirmed story I wrote about the scratched weapon.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, I was a little surprised that somebody was opening another gun shop in Jeff City. Not counting home-based FFL's there are at least eight places to buy handguns in Jeff and another four that just carry long guns. (This is a town of 40,000 people). Maybe none of us have a clue what we're doing and these boys from Rolla are going to show us how it's done. I've always heard the smart people were from Rolla, so it's possible.

Peaking in the window the other day (their new location is right across from where I was eating dinner), I saw a room full of brand new showcases and display racks. They looked to have a good supply of new long guns and a bunch of handguns. They had some fancy displays of scope rings and other do-dads. Looks like somebody dropped some serious coin. I wish them well. I really do. But I have to think that somebody with a really sharp pencil would have looked for a market that wasn't so saturated and maybe would have trimmed a bit more fat.

We'll see. If they're reading this I'd offer this advice: Jeff CIty customers are TIGHT! They want stuff priced down the line. We have the Internet here and our gun shoppers aren't afraid to use it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
When I transferred a Mega arms lower there they couldn't figure out why I didn't just buy an Anderson from them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to add, even with the crummy reviews of PCA they stay in business and their parking lot is always full. People gripe about gun shows and stupid prices, but they still keep having gun shows full of vendors so somebody is making money.

I think Cabelas had high gun prices, and their gun counter is always a long wait due to all the people buying guns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]

PCA?  Never heard of them.  Where are they setting up shop?

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

In the plaza behind Habachi Grill . . . over by the Stadium Walmart.  (I think Slackers is located in the same strip mall).
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In the plaza behind Habachi Grill . . . over by the Stadium Walmart.  (I think Slackers is located in the same strip mall).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ha!  Then there are almost guaranteed to fail.    I don't think there has ever been a successful business in that plaza.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ha!  Then there are almost guaranteed to fail.    I don't think there has ever been a successful business in that plaza.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A gun shop could be the exception. Gun people will go out of their way . . . witness Bob's Guns all out by his own self in St. Martins. Bogg's Creek ain't exactly on the beaten path either. Or Ammo Alley (look for the billboard and turn on the gravel road) . . . and, oh yeah, there's one delusional dude at a gas station way out on the east of town . . .
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I've seen countless businesses come and go out of there. There used to be a great audio install place there.

Slackers is now at the capital mall.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree. I've seen countless businesses come and go out of there. There used to be a great audio install place there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, there's a Tupperware store there. That's got to bring in the peoples.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe the owner is based in Licking. They originally had several stores and then closed the Licking one I believe. Hard to believe they are opening a new store but who knows...I've not had great luck with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top