Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 9:02:52 PM EDT
I'm in talks with Bruce Piatt to give a 5 day build class in the KC metro, probably at the Mill Creek Rifle range.  The class would be $1500 and you must supply all of the parts for the gun you build.  You must use a Caspian slide and frame and you get a discount at Caspian and Bar-sto.  

I'm looking at October/November for dates.   It will require a $500 deposit.  This is a very unique opportunity as most instructors charge more and make you travel to them.  Who is interested?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How much 1911 gun smithing experience needed?

I have taken a 1911 apart a few times and managed to get it back together! Can learn quick!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You just need a basic understanding of the parts involved and how they function.  It's recommended to read the kuenhausen books, but not required.  You've got plenty of time to get familiar.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to pay about 3k for a gun "I" built?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah...I shot with the group of Bianchi Shooters and he had a perfect score two weekends ago at Green Valley.    
The guy is a fricking marvel.    At least 130 of 192 shots where in a 4" circle. 10 to 50 yards with a handgun. Unreal...  

Wish I had the money...  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it's only money and you can't take it with you.  Good training is lifelong and valuable though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
HOLY FOOK!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but $1500 for a 5 day course is freaking steep...I don't care who is teaching it. I could see about half that....Hope you fill it up though. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HOLY FOOK!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but $1500 for a 5 day course is freaking steep...I don't care who is teaching it. I could see about half that....Hope you fill it up though. Good luck!
View Quote

It kind of depends on how one looks at it.

If you're like me, an interested hobbyist who wouldn't mind having a 1911 he built himself, then yeah its steep.

If you're a gunsmith wanting to get the skills required to break into the custom 1911 business, this is about right.

I imagine that this class is geared more toward the gunsmith than the hobbyist.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure it would take more than five days to turn you into a full blown 1911 custom smith....maybe I'm wrong
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Larry Vickers class is about twice what this one costs.  If you guys know people that may not visit this site, please spread the word.  I'll need at least 4 more people to sign up before we can lock it in.  Building a 1911 is not anything like assembling an AR15.  Many people try to build their first 1911 on their own and end up with a total piece of junk that doesn't run.  This class is geared to the hobbyist that wants to learn the right way from someone that knows what they are doing and has the resources to take the class.  If you know someone interested have them get in touch with me.  [email protected]

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Larry Vickers class is about twice what this one costs.  If you guys know people that may not visit this site, please spread the word.  I'll need at least 4 more people to sign up before we can lock it in.  Building a 1911 is not anything like assembling an AR15.  Many people try to build their first 1911 on their own and end up with a total piece of junk that doesn't run.  This class is geared to the hobbyist that wants to learn the right way from someone that knows what they are doing and has the resources to take the class.  If you know someone interested have them get in touch with me.  [email protected]

Thanks
View Quote

I'll pass it along... Let me know any specifics you have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I bet if you include Oklahoma and Kansas in the announcement you'd get a bite or two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top