Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 12:22:50 AM EDT
Hey Guys and Gals:

My daughter recently moved to St. Louis for her job and has expressed a sudden interest in getting her CHL.   I'm looking for a women's NRA beginner handgun class for her to attend.  Can anyone recommend a class for young women, preferably taught by a women, for her?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Here and I know they have a dense instructor or two.

http://udrange.com/home/
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]

I agree with the first post, Ultimate defense is a great place for this training. My wife and I both did ours there.

Highly recommended

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Then Ultimate Defense it will be.  Thank you for the recommendation.  I knew I could count on ARFcom
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hey Guys and Gals:

My daughter recently moved to St. Louis for her job and has expressed a sudden interest in getting her CHL.   I'm looking for a women's NRA beginner handgun class for her to attend.  Can anyone recommend a class for young women, preferably taught by a women, for her?
View Quote
What area of St. Louis???

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
There are lots of places around St Louis for quality instruction.  I would guess most places have a Women's only type beginner class.  I know that The Range in Ballwin has one, Sharpshooters has one, Ultimate Defense has one, and so on.  You could also have her check into The Well Armed Woman.  They are a national organization that has local chapters around the country.  There are probably 4 or 5 chapters in the St Louis area.  Now this is not a substitute for a class, but it is basically a group of women that get together once a month for some sort of class.  The class could be something along the lines of basic shooting stuff, or it could be something woman specific.  After the class time, whom ever wants to shoot goes to the range and shoots.  You will have women in the class that range in experience from None to Competitive Shooters.  My wife was a member of a chapter down at Top Gun and loved it.  She has been waiting for our chapter to get going in West County at The Range, which will hopefully be soon.

Phil
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Meant to add also make sure she's getting an actual training class and just not the minimums to get a ccw license.

Not sure what her level of firearms experience is  

Females learn totally differently than men. I say this based on the science studies behind it and extensive training experience.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, you have gotten some very good recommendations from the others already.  Just keep in mind we are a bit different then TX in qualification standards for CCW,  we do not have a min caliber required in our CCW class by law.   It is a very common practice to use 22lr for the qualification here because of that.   Just didn't want you to be surprised if you she told you that.   There are other differences too.  But as others have said it would also be highly recommended that she get additional training beyond ccw class and you have gotten recommendations also.  

If you need other help let the HTF know.   That's what we are around for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, you have gotten some very good recommendations from the others already.  Just keep in mind we are a bit different then TX in qualification standards for CCW,  we do not have a min caliber required in our CCW class by law. It is a very common practice to use 22lr for the qualification here because of that.   Just didn't want you to be surprised if you she told you that.   There are other differences too.  But as others have said it would also be highly recommended that she get additional training beyond ccw class and you have gotten recommendations also.  

If you need other help let the HTF know.   That's what we are around for.
View Quote

Thank you for all the helpful info.  I've reinforced 9mm as her minimum carry caliber when she makes the decision to conceal carry,  but thank you Paul for the differences in state laws.  Knowledge is Power.  Her CCW is still a few months away.  Local formal training was a prerequisite for all my kids before carrying for personal protection.  Days at the range with dad only go so far for some.

HTF's Rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top