Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 3:36:10 PM EDT
The NRA has recently released a new process for their basic pistol training. In all honestly I'm really turned off by it and am considering pursuing a different firearms instructor certification.

The current law reads:

"A firearms safety instructor shall be considered to be a qualified firearms safety instructor by any Missouri sheriff issuing a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 RSMo if the instructor:

1) Is a valid firearms safety instructor certified by the National Rifle Association holding a rating as a personal protection instructor or pistol marksmanship instructor; or
2) Submits a photocopy of a notarized certificate from a firearms safety instructor’s course offered by a local, state, or federal governmental agency; or
3) Submits a photocopy of a notarized certificate from a firearms safety instructor course approved by the department of public safety; or
4) Has successfully completed a firearms safety instructor course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or
5) Is a certified police officer firearms safety instructor."

I've done some internet searching to find "non-NRA" instructor courses without any luck. Is pursuing a new certification that falls under options 2-5 a possibility for someone who isn't a LEO?

Any opinions about the new NRA lesson plan? I'd post/link more info, but they really haven't give us much direction. Just a brief email and link at the instructors portal.

TLDR: I'm an NRA Instructor, do not agree with their new lesson plans, and would like to become certified under one of Missouri's other recognized instructor options.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a fan of the "Blended Learning" either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However this may help you
You can still teach the NRA basic pistol course .  The certificates will no longer be accepted by the NRA for future courses . Nor will they be accepted for Ron Resident permits such as Florida or Utah which are pretty much useless for you Missouri guys .  In Illinois we need them LOL

I think the NRA was not getting a big enough piece of the pie and came out with this Crap
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You realize you don't have to teach an NRA class in order to use your NRA credentials as a firearms instructor for the purpose of teaching ccw classes aren't you?

As such, teach whatever you want within the requirements of the law.  It is not necessary to get a different type of instructor cert.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You realize you don't have to teach an NRA class in order to use your NRA credentials as a firearms instructor for the purpose of teaching ccw classes aren't you?

As such, teach whatever you want within the requirements of the law.  It is not necessary to get a different type of instructor cert.
View Quote

Ding...Ding...Ding... We have a winner.  You can be a NRA Pistol Instructor to teach the CCW class per Missouri law. You are not teaching the NRA pistol course but are teaching the Missouri CCW course as listed by  statue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can still teach the NRA basic pistol course .  The certificates will no longer be accepted by the NRA for future courses . Nor will they be accepted for Ron Resident permits such as Florida or Utah which are pretty much useless for you Missouri guys .  In Illinois we need them LOL

I think the NRA was not getting a big enough piece of the pie and came out with this Crap
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding...Ding...Ding... We have a winner.  You can be a NRA Pistol Instructor to teach the CCW class per Missouri law. You are not teaching the NRA pistol course but are teaching the Missouri CCW course as listed by  statue.

Thanks guys, the feedback is much appreciated and exactly what I was looking for.
My classes are solely for MO CCW. I misunderstood and thought my lesson plan would need to change, glad to hear it doesn't.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
How many of us actually teach NRA basic pistol classes? I haven't yet. No demand for it around here and if there is, another instructor has snatched it up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, bein's that the OP got his question answered, here is question #2: what are the legalities of carrying in a commercial vehicle (with or without CCW)?  My last two classes each had over the road truckers in them and both asked.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, bein's that the OP got his question answered, here is question #2: what are the legalities of carrying in a commercial vehicle (with or without CCW)?  My last two classes each had over the road truckers in them and both asked.
View Quote

This is a guess, but would probably fall under if the owners of the trucks allowed them. If the truckers owned the trucks, they would be GTG in Missouri only w/o a CCW.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember MO CCW is not an NRA approved class....  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is a guess, but would probably fall under if the owners of the trucks allowed them. If the truckers owned the trucks, they would be GTG in Missouri only w/o a CCW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vehicles owner or company policy would determine that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as I thought. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it would be legal regardless of company policy.  You don't have to own the vehicle anymore than you have to own the gun in your possession.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, it would be legal regardless of company policy.  You don't have to own the vehicle anymore than you have to own the gun in your possession.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4.  Thanks for the responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top