Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 1:23:51 PM EDT
Light or heavy.

Looked in all of the usual places... Ebay, Practical Machinists.com, gov auction sites, machinery dealers.

Can't find anything reasonably priced that is in decent shape.  Looking for a machine that can hold 0.002" over 10" length, which I don't think is asking too much, since those machines new could easily do that length holding 0.0005".

Anyone know anyone who has a 10K or 10 Heavy for sale that isnt junk or gold plated?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Grizzly in springfield mo
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you mean Grizzly Tools, I wouldn't have any of their junk.  They bought out South Bend and now make them in Taiwan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you mean Grizzly Tools, I wouldn't have any of their junk.  They bought out South Bend and now make them in Taiwan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly junk....
And at least you know where to go picket if you have issues... I have a G4003G and it is a fine piece of equipment, I had a Southbend 9" and while heavy was very OLD and couldn't really hold .002 over 2" ... I like Southbend but they are far from the end all be all...
A Couple good names to look for Monarch and Atlas equal to Southbend and maybe better...
Check with Prewitt Machinery in Lees Summit MO... He usually always has a southbend something in there and had a few nice larger machines (15" or so) last time I was there, and he had a Bridgeport 9x49 for about 2k with a full set of collets...
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hardly junk....
And at least you know where to go picket if you have issues... I have a G4003G and it is a fine piece of equipment, I had a Southbend 9" and while heavy was very OLD and couldn't really hold .002 over 2" ... I like Southbend but they are far from the end all be all...
A Couple good names to look for Monarch and Atlas equal to Southbend and maybe better...
Check with Prewitt Machinery in Lees Summit MO... He usually always has a southbend something in there and had a few nice larger machines (15" or so) last time I was there, and he had a Bridgeport 9x49 for about 2k with a full set of collets...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly junk....

Thanks for the lead.  Talked to him and he put me into his Rolodex under people to contact when he comes across one.  Man his phone had a horrible background hum to it, lol.  Must have been an old rotary dial.

Yeah, but the older South Bend 9"-10" hits a price point for the hobbyist/wannabe machinist who needs to occasionally make parts.  I'm sure when my buddy decides to full on retire and move permanently to Florida I'll get first dibs on his Mori Seiki, but until then, I just need something to fill in the gap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Craigs list.
I have found/bought quite a bit of machine tools on there, you may have to drive 2-3 hours to pick up but . . . .
As long as you're not in a big hurry, everything I've bought off CL, I can/have sold for a minimum of $1500.00 profit

Bought a Monarch 10EE for ~$15xx.00 works perfect
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try Craigs list.
I have found/bought quite a bit of machine tools on there, you may have to drive 2-3 hours to pick up but . . . .
As long as you're not in a big hurry, everything I've bought off CL, I can/have sold for a minimum of $1500.00 profit

View Quote

I have searched CL every day for a month.  I have even used the website "Search All Craigslist" and not found what I've wanted in a region I'm willing to travel to (IE:  New York area).
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jon Chandler had a Heavy 10 at his shop in Carlyle, Il, and there is a light 10 for sale in Mascoutah.

You'll look a long time for the right South Bend, and mostly the best ones are out in the east.

There's a Wabeco for sale in St. Louis, but it's pricey.  Probably as good as any light 10 you'll find.

View Quote

Have more info on the 10K in Mascoutah?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have searched CL every day for a month.  I have even used the website "Search All Craigslist" and not found what I've wanted in a region I'm willing to travel to (IE:  New York area).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Craigs list.

I must have got lucky, about 2 years ago, I bought 3 in 2 days. Monarch was the last one, sold the other two and made more than enough to pay for the Monarch, and my time and fuel costs gathering them all up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I traded off my old Southbend for an Inland M1 Carbine...

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Rubbing salt in the wound isn't helping me find a lathe!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rubbing salt in the wound isn't helping me find a lathe!
View Quote

There is a southbend 16x40 Engine Lathe for sale in KC MO for 3k...
Better?
a Plethora of 9" southbends...
A LeBlond 16x96 for $2250...
A Colchester in Moberly for $2350 probably a 13"... maybe 40 bed...
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I must have got lucky, about 2 years ago, I bought 3 in 2 days. Monarch was the last one, sold the other two and made more than enough to pay for the Monarch, and my time and fuel costs gathering them all up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Craigs list.

I would love a 10EE. I'm not even sure why...just like the look of them.

There are few for sale on the St Louis craigslist right now. A SB 10k, 9" and a clausing in your size range. Couple of Atlas lathes there too, but I would not recommend them. In fact, I have one of those I never use that I would probably let go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are few for sale on the St Louis craigslist right now. A SB 10k, 9" and a clausing in your size range. Couple of Atlas lathes there too, but I would not recommend them. In fact, I have one of those I never use that I would probably let go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Craigs list.

I had the privilege of being able to use a 10EE in a company I worked for 20 yrs ago.  Not sure why, but the tool room guys trusted me enough to not beat it up.  It IS a bad ass lathe.

There's a company on Ebay that sells them regularly, but it's a lathe far beyond what I need.  Not sure if this is just cleaned/painted, or a full on resto done correctly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONARCH-10-EE-TOOLROOM-LATHE-/291255445554

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a nice one for sale here in west county but they are asking 7k for it Beautiful, sexy machines.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd buy a Sharp 1340VS before that Monarch.

A 14 inch Nardini would be a great choice, if one can be found that hasn't been thrashed.

View Quote

I'd never by that Monarch. I just love the looks of them. I'm perfectly happy with my old Sheldon for the time being. I'd be happier if I could find a steady rest for it but in any case...

PSA for anyone looking at the less common older machines: Make sure it has all the machine specific tooling you think you will need. Finding stuff for my lathe is not fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is a 10k that is advertized as being able to see the original scraping on the bed: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/5422885092.html

No tooling though...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here is a 10k that is advertized as being able to see the original scraping on the bed: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/5422885092.html

No tooling though...
View Quote

Yeah, I've see full sized photos of that lathe.  Going to pass on that.  Look at the cross slide, at where it's been repeatedly bashed into the chuck while running.  That's a good way to screw up more than one part, along with the spindle bearings.

He's got two of the 10Ks, one with the 3' bed, which is pictured, and another with a 4.5' bed.  One of them had the half nuts on the lead screw garfed, but he has a new set.

*ETA*  He also said he'd take $1400 on that one he has posted on CL  */ETA*

AeroE, that was one of the lathe sellers I was going to PM you about.  He texted me this morning that he was going to post it on CL.

I'm going this afternoon to look at a 10K, with cash in hand.  If the ways are straight with a machinist's edge, and the spindle bearings are tight, I'll be buying it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought a 10k today!

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Welp, turns out it's not a 10K, it's a 9A.  Getting my money back tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Still lookin for a QUALITY non gold plated lathe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
what is your dollar amount for a machine ?

i know where there is a SB13 X 48 machine
in northern MO , good tight machine thats not
all beat up or crashed .

TS2
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

all beat up or crashed .

TS2
View Quote

All depends what comes with the machine.  I want to stay under $2k, and prefer to stay even lower than that.  I really have no use for a 13" lathe.  10" is plenty for my needs.  SB 9A, 10K, or 10L would be just fine.

*ETA* Obviously, a SB 9/10 with a taper attachment, milling attachment, 3-jaw and 4-jaw, collets and draw bar, and other machine specific tooling will make the price higher.  But if it's a barebones 9A with a 3-jaw, $1200 ain't happening.  $1k ain't happening either unless it sparkles like a diamond in a goat's ass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All depends what comes with the machine.  I want to stay under $2k, and prefer to stay even lower than that.  I really have no use for a 13" lathe.  10" is plenty for my needs.  SB 9A, 10K, or 10L would be just fine.

*ETA* Obviously, a SB 9/10 with a taper attachment, milling attachment, 3-jaw and 4-jaw, collets and draw bar, and other machine specific tooling will make the price higher.  But if it's a barebones 9A with a 3-jaw, $1200 ain't happening.  $1k ain't happening either unless it sparkles like a diamond in a goat's ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all beat up or crashed .

TS2

Holy crap I found a 9A Diamond in a goat's ass.  Will post photos when I get it home and setup.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Not setup, but she's a beaut!!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
NICE! Same belt alignment issue my 9 had...
She is sure purty though... Dolled up like a prom date!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top