Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
I quit my "Day" job Sunday Morning.
After 4 potential fatality F ups with my crew, due to an F'd up move plan.
Getting run over by a train will ruin your weekend.
I handed in my creds and walked away... I had planned to quit but this cinched it.

So now it is my shop VS the world...
I grow tired of working for others for the rest of my life... now I work for ME!
I was making more money on my SIDE job anyway.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the same about a year ago.......haven't looked back.  Get yourself a good accountant that knows all the ins and outs and you'll notice your take home income isn't going to be that much lower.  Now that your side business is your career rather than a gig, you can claim and charge a lot more to it.  Set up a SEP or Roth 401K and pump as much money as you can into it.  With 3-4 jobs, I was never able to take child tax credits, was in the itemized deduction phase out, couldn't deduct all the child care expenses, and would have been into the alternative minimum tax this year.  Now, I can take full advantage of those, plus I'm not paying for a sh!tload for nondeductible child care and life insurance.  All those savings, credits, lower tax bracket, etc, not much has changed money wise, and quality of life has skyrocketed.

Good luck.....hope it works out for you too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Best of luck AFSOC!    The work you have posted is fantastic!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know ya personally, but I do wish you well!
The older I get, the more I realize it does take big balls to actually tell the man and go out on your own. People talk about it, but few do it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
good luck bud, will have my fingers crossed for you. its about time something good happens to good people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best of luck AFSOC!    The work you have posted is fantastic!
View Quote

+1

Between the quality products you've posted here & an obviously good work ethic, you will go far.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So now it is my shop VS the world...
I grow tired of working for others for the rest of my life... now I work for ME!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Way to go. You will do well.
Taz
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Good luck.

Now tell us what you do, as I have no clue.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

QC control at the fleshlight plant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck.

Now tell us what you do, as I have no clue.

QC control at the fleshlight plant.

Great.... Now everyone is going to want to know all the secrets!!!!!

Seriously though, I am a condom tester. it is a niche market....

OK OK OK....
I work with metal, CNC Plasma Cutting (built the machine myself), Welding, Artwork, Architectural pieces, Shop Organization items... Like this stuff...

This is for the KC FOP Chapter

Architectural pieces

Shelf Bracket

Commercial signs these were made for the companies depicted...

Tools
Crankshaft tool

Alternator Bracket for a Drag Car

Organization items.
Air Tool racks with spot for the never present air tool oil

Win 10 Still Sucks.... Just sayin...
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't know ya personally, but I do wish you well!

The older I get, the more I realize it does take big balls to actually tell the man and go out on your own. People talk about it, but few do it.

View Quote
Agree 100%! good luck buddy, God Bless.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
That's some impressive work. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Best of luck to you AFSOC. You do beautiful work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
My good buddy AFSOC got runned over by a darned old train... Sounds like a country & western song. Glad you are now officially in business for yourself. Your work is top notch and absolutely beautiful. There is a market for your wares. You'll do well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My good buddy AFSOC got runned over by a darned old train... Sounds like a country & western song. Glad you are now officially in business for yourself. Your work is top notch and absolutely beautiful. There is a market for your wares. You'll do well.
View Quote

I didn't get runned over... Two of my guys almost got squished... happenstance prevented it. 4 nearly fatal incidents within 30 minutes... A GE GP-38-2 Locomotive weighs in at 250000# and ONE Auto Rack EMPTY is 80 Ton... all due to inexperience of the rail coordinator.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Told you, you need to make BFL's .... Just put one up on the web, tell me and I can turn you in, get a free membership,,,,, site staff sends cease and desist, you say how can I do this legally.......win win

Fine.... Better yet turn yourself in for free membership.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Told you, you need to make BFL's .... Just put one up on the web, tell me and I can turn you in, get a free membership,,,,, site staff sends cease and desist, you say how can I do this legally.......win win

View Quote

I asked the people who own and run the sight pretty directly and was ignored... completely no response nothing.
I wanted to know how to do it with their blessing and they showed ignorance. Sooooo no BFLs... Maybe YOU can get some sort of response.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I asked the people who own and run the sight pretty directly and was ignored... completely no response nothing.
I wanted to know how to do it with their blessing and they showed ignorance. Sooooo no BFLs... Maybe YOU can get some sort of response.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can always change it a little and be safe. That's what I would do anyway, you don't have to have their "blessing", as it isn't "their" logo anymore.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Say what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can always change it a little and be safe. That's what I would do anyway, you don't have to have their "blessing", as it isn't "their" logo anymore.

Say what?

Someone can't sell "their" BFL, it's copyrighted.

Someone can however, design their own that is different enough to not be a copyright violation.

It's law man!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Someone can however, design their own that is different enough to not be a copyright violation.

It's law man!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

It's law man!

It doesn't really work like that though.... it would have to be EXTENSIVELY modified, there is no 10% rule on logos...
The Walgreens Nationals for instance, yes there was a lawsuit and the CUBS sued a small company for using the letter W, it was a different font and a different color... They won the lawsuit.... Because they have a guy who holds up a W when the Cubs win a game... The NATIONALS sued the same company because it was a W... again different in all ways but they won that lawsuit too...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top