Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 2:05:05 PM EDT
Saturday afternoon doe, about 90 yards in the woods, Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.  1 shot, no exit, DRT.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rile. Love going old school
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor little deer!  Did it ignore your sign and eat the corn you left out for the squirrels and chipmunks?

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]

This asshole spent most of Sunday morning in my yard. I need a 45 can or a bow...
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Saturday afternoon on my property.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Poor little deer!  Did it ignore your sign and eat the corn you left out for the squirrels and chipmunks?

View Quote

Easy to load, easy to eat!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
This 8 pointer walked under my stand Saturday morning. I was waiting on Buckzilla, so I let this one walk. This was the 3rd buck I videoed from this stand in the past week.

https://youtu.be/xcOCFyk5sC4

I'm still waiting on Buckzilla....
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Why didn't you shoot this one

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNQwEAAcVPE
View Quote

Whoa! Do we know each other?

ETA- Kind of caught me off guard... I'd shared that vid with some co-workers. My first thought was one of them is a member...

Anyway, that buck hasn't showed back up since rifle season started. That and he's not Buckzilla either...
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Here is my 11 Point I got Saturday morning!

I am very happy!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro739h.jpg

Here is my 11 Point I got Saturday morning!

I am very happy!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
A little doe I shot Sunday evening. My son was with me and saw her first so I figured might as well fill at least my antlerless tag.
Its the first deer he has seen taken in person so he was pretty excited.

Sadly I missed a small buck on Opening morning with my AR pistol thanks to a loose scope mount.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA- Kind of caught me off guard... I'd shared that vid with some co-workers. My first thought was one of them is a member...

Anyway, that buck hasn't showed back up since rifle season started. That and he's not Buckzilla either...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...no, but dam, if you don't think that one is worth it, let me know and I'll head out that way and get rid of those small ones for you
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
First year hunting and here is what I took. First time field dressing as well.

Roughly 100yds with Custom built 6.8 SPC. Didn't even take a step, just dropped. Grain Valley, MO

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First year hunting and here is what I took. First time field dressing as well.

Roughly 100yds with Custom built 6.8 SPC. Didn't even take a step, just dropped. Grain Valley, MO

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n560/ConsolidatedContractors/20151115_074030.jpg

View Quote

Nice buck!
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL...no, but dam, if you don't think that one is worth it, let me know and I'll head out that way and get rid of those small ones for you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patience grasshopper. Those bucks will only get bigger if I let them walk. I know, there's no guarantee that they'll make it another year. But they sure won't if I shoot them. I want a wall hanger....and one of the steps to get really big bucks is to let those decent sized ones grow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I had to pass on a large 6 point due to antler point restrictions in my county.  I saw nothing else at all.  I am headed out in the morning to try again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Little one I shot Sat morning. Shot the first deer I saw. Good thing I haven't seen another!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my first harvest ever (doe) and second (4-point buck) yesterday. Fun times! Both @ about 80 yd with my Sportsman 78 .30-06 using 150 gr Nosler BT loaded with IMR- 4350. Got good shots on both. The doe went about 25 yards before falling and the buck dropped where he was. After missing my target so badly last year, I added a trigger stick bipod this year and it worked well for me.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Still hunting for horns this year 160"+. If it boils down to Sunday mid morning I'll take a doe. Still plenty of archery season left for a wall hanger, just have to work harder. The weather during the week was definitely testing my will
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got my first harvest ever (doe) and second (4-point buck) yesterday. Fun times! Both @ about 80 yd with my Sportsman 78 .30-06 using 150 gr Nosler BT loaded with IMR- 4350. Got good shots on both. The doe went about 25 yards before falling and the buck dropped where he was. After missing my target so badly last year, I added a trigger stick bipod this year and it worked well for me.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag420/Jeffer/Hunting/11191518001_zpsqjowzpbj.jpg
View Quote

Big time congrats to you, sir.

I got my first double last year, but I'd been at it for quite a while before then!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Big time congrats to you, sir.

I got my first double last year, but I'd been at it for quite a while before then!
View Quote

Thanks a bunch! I owe a big thanks to an experienced friend of mine who was mentoring me in the art of deer hunting. Helped me a lot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#22]
The wife unit and I sat through the blizzard for a little over two hours Saturday morning, then a couple of slickheads came through that we doubled up on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
First weekend, I saw nothing. As in, not a thing.

This weekend, I drive out to the BIL's farm, and there's deer standing around in the driveway when I pull in. A good sign.

I hike out to the hill where I built a blind from brush I cut to make shooting lanes. It overlooks a small field with a bunch of wild oats, and a heavily-traveled trail with some hoofprints the size of my palm. It was cold and rainy, so I brought a 4x4 foot tarp with paracord on the corners to make a roof over my head. I strung it up, sat down, and waited.

About sunrise, I get hungry, so I pull out the granny smith (best apple) and take a bite. I kept my gun (12 inch .300 BO with SIG brace, waiting on tax stamp) on my lap, holding my apple in my left hand.

Then I heard:

KRISH KRISH KRISH

Okay, that's a squirrel.

KRISH

KRISH

KRISH

KRI - snap - SH

Squirrels don't break twigs when they walk. This sounded exactly like a person walking through the leaves. Which, every time I've heard that in the woods, it has been a deer.

Only problem is, it's exactly behind me, coming from up the hill. It's very hard not to turn around and look when you hear someone walking up behind you.

The footsteps stopped directly behind me.

Then a head leaned over my shoulder.

And took a bite out of my apple.

I didn't turn and look, but it had no antlers. I made a face, which I realized when the other doe stepped around in front of me. Don't tell my mom, but at that moment I was sure that my face was going to be stuck that way forever.

The second doe was close enough I could have reached out and poked her with my gun. She kept sniffing, perking up and looking for me, bobbing her head left and right, up and down, trying to figure out what I was. Then she'd take a step or two, nuzzle around in the leaves, catch a whiff of me and look up, alarmed, and look for me again. This went on for about ten minutes, while the other deer tried to figure out how to get my apple.

Eventually, they both wandered off. By the time they were 10 feet away, the brush was too thick for me to get a shot. They'd followed the path I'd cut from the barn down the hill.

About five minutes after that, I watched them come out of the woods, cross the field, and go across the road. Oh well.

Before they got out of sight, another antlerless deer popped out of the cedars in the field below, jumping and cavorting like a puppy. Just bouncing everywhere. It danced right up to about 10 feet in front of my blind, then stopped and looked at me. Of course, I was hidden, but I could see it through the branches and twigs I'd piled up. It was right below me, and I'd have to shoot through the blind to hit it.

Instead, I raised my gun and waited for it to walk, well, literally any direction so I could shoot it. It climbed up the hill and walked no more than 10 feet to my right. I shot it. Both lungs and the heart. I was surprised there wasn't a powder burn on the fur.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Filled my doe tag with my 10mm Sunday morning. First deer killed with a pistol that wasn't wounded.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#25]
That's what I'm talking about! Going to break out the 10mm myself in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Got a small 6 point the other day in Macon County. I used a 16" AR with Federal Fusion 62gr. Distance was 85 yards.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#27]
In the same boat as Gascozark, waiting on "the one". I have 2 target bucks on camera and they are all I will shoot unless something else of their caliber shows up. Kicker is one is only an 8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top