Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 2:34:20 PM EDT
are they required in MO?

what is the penalty if they are and I don't run with it presented?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they are required, I live in KC and most of life I haven't used them and only got a warning twice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Front and back are required for passenger vehicles, trucks, and vans. The exceptions are:

Trucks licensed 18,000lbs or above, in which you get one (1) plate, beginning with two numbers, and it goes in the front. Idea being this will be used to pull trailers and there is no point in displaying it in the back. TAKE A HINT OKLAHOMA!

Motorcycles, displayed in the back obviously.

The penalty various if it is a muni, county/state who stops you. Usually failure to properly display plates. Good for PC to run a plate/make a stop but not worth a ticket in my opinion.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't run on on my cars for 20 years.  I refuse to jack up the front of my car with that ugly ass plate/bracket.

MO needs to ditch this.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't run on on my cars for 20 years.  I refuse to jack up the front of my car with that ugly ass plate/bracket.

MO needs to ditch this.
View Quote

Amen..  I haven't had one for many years untill recently when I started driving a hand me down from my wife.  I have only ever gotten one ticket and that was thrown away when ai showed up to the station with a front plate in place.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Front and back are required for passenger vehicles, trucks, and vans. The exceptions are:

Trucks licensed 18,000lbs or above, in which you get one (1) plate, beginning with two numbers, and it goes in the front. Idea being this will be used to pull trailers and there is no point in displaying it in the back. TAKE A HINT OKLAHOMA!

The penalty various if it is a muni, county/state who stops you. Usually failure to properly display plates. Good for PC to run a plate/make a stop but not worth a ticket in my opinion.

View Quote

We only require one plate and trailers aren't required to be tagged. TAKE A HINT MISSOURI!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Good PC to stop a car, and the fine is $93 from the state if you get a ticket. Also, front plate in the windshield does not count.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
As stated, it's good PC.

In Randolph I had a hard time enforcing the speed limit (20 on Randolph Rd.) also the speed limit signs were not the correct height under state law.

So I primarily wrote expired plates, no front plate, and improper display (i.e. Plate in window)

Fines IIRC  were around $125.00 on each offense.

Mainly newer Vettes and newer Camaro's

I pulled one newer Vette over and as I started to explain why I pulled him over he stated "Yeah, I know. No front plate." He went on to say that my summons was number 30 for that offense since he bought the car and he wasn't going to "Ruin the looks with a front plate".
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a stupid law for someone to deface their property especially when it is not needed, just another way to generate money for the city.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I STRONGLY disagree. Sometimes the only plate you get a number off of is the front plate when a vehicle is going the other direction.

A "pet peeve" of mine is smoked license plate covers, I stopped a vehicle that was running a cover so dark I couldn't read it bending down next to it.

When I ran the vehicle the plate was expired. SURPRISE!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I STRONGLY disagree. Sometimes the only plate you get a number off of is the front plate when a vehicle is going the other direction.

View Quote

Playing devil's advocate, so bear with me. I'm not trying to bust your chops.

If Missouri law allows one plate on a bike, why can't that same train of thought be the same with a car / truck?   I know you don't make the laws, but it would seem to be common sense to me to require only one plate. I understand that that front plate may be the only identifier you may be able to make out on the car, but I'm sure it would also be easier to ID a bike with a front plate as well?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, there are plenty of other states (actually, most states) which only require one plate. If it was a problem for law enforcement, every state would have two plates.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, there are plenty of other states (actually, most states) which only require one plate. If it was a problem for law enforcement, every state would have two plates.
View Quote

19 states require 1 plate. 31 states require 2.

Yep, I agree.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, I agree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I agree.

Math should be a CoC Violation
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

But, I like math.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But, I like math.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, I like math.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, I like math.

I was very good at math earlier in my life. I actually enjoyed it. I even worked at an analytical Lab for a while.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A "pet peeve" of mine is smoked license plate covers, I stopped a vehicle that was running a cover so dark I couldn't read it bending down next to it.

When I ran the vehicle the plate was expired. SURPRISE!
View Quote

My smoked covers don't hide expired tags. They just dull the bright white plate on an all black vehicle
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I am the only person in the world who thinks the license plate actually completes the look of a vehicle.

I think a properly mounted front plate does not detract and actually enhances the look of the car.

When I get a new car I can't wait to get the tags because of that giant blank space on the bumper!
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess I am the only person in the world who thinks the license plate actually completes the look of a vehicle.

I think a properly mounted front plate does not detract and actually enhances the look of the car.

When I get a new car I can't wait to get the tags because of that giant blank space on the bumper!
View Quote

That's all good and dandy on older cars and trucks, but what about sports cars and luxury cars that have colored facias.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's all good and dandy on older cars and trucks, but what about sports cars and luxury cars that have colored facias.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  For example, putting a plate on a C7 would be a sin.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a fan of buying a $35K plus vehicle and having to drill holes in the front bumper for a plate. Makes it look like crap. Once I move to Florida, I'll buy a new cover or bumper to get rid of the holes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/uzishooter/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150907_006_zps5o2e2gae.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/uzishooter/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150907_006_zps5o2e2gae.jpg

Nope! See that emblem on the front? Center the mounting bracket with it and mount the plate. Easy peasy!

ETA: To clarify, on the grill below not over the emblem. I'm not a complete savage!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope! See that emblem on the front? Center the mounting bracket with it and mount the plate. Easy peasy!

ETA: To clarify, on the grill below not over the emblem. I'm not a complete savage!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gotta be trolling
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not a fan of buying a $35K plus vehicle and having to drill holes in the front bumper for a plate. Makes it look like crap. Once I move to Florida, I'll buy a new cover or bumper to get rid of the holes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better not be a stock bumper
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We shall see.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]
You girls sure do have a lot to worry about...
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a Springfield cop pull me over once in my parents dodge with 18k plates. I wasnt even sure what I was being pulled over for until he walked up and asked where my rear plate was.
Im like Uhhh its on the front, the truck is 18k it only gets one. He started to argue with me so I just asked for a supervisor. About ten minutes later he gets there and asks whats the problem while mean mugging me.
The guy that pulled me over looks at the supervisor and says this guy says he doesnt need a rear plate because of the truck weight. Supervisor walks to the front looks at license plate and comes back and says hes right. The younger guys eyes almost bug out on the spot. Supervisor asks him if there was anything else he needed to keep me for,and hes like Nope,free to go.Wouldnt even look at me. Supervisor was like have a nice day sir.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Front plates suck. Only people I saw with them back in Michigan were those with classic cars or vanity plates. Since moving here, the front license plate thing is one of just a handful of things I see Missouri being more retarded than Kansas about. I can't think of the others at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Having 2 plates is a waste of material and defaces the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I had a Springfield cop pull me over once in my parents dodge with 18k plates. I wasnt even sure what I was being pulled over for until he walked up and asked where my rear plate was.

Im like Uhhh its on the front, the truck is 18k it only gets one. He started to argue with me so I just asked for a supervisor. About ten minutes later he gets there and asks whats the problem while mean mugging me.

The guy that pulled me over looks at the supervisor and says this guy says he doesnt need a rear plate because of the truck weight. Supervisor walks to the front looks at license plate and comes back and says hes right. The younger guys eyes almost bug out on the spot. Supervisor asks him if there was anything else he needed to keep me for,and hes like Nope,free to go.Wouldnt even look at me. Supervisor was like have a nice day sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea it is never fun to be proven wrong on a traffic stop. Has only happened to me once but it was after the lady magically "found" some paperwork proving ownership once I was already siezing the plates.

I know its true to 24k plates and I assume for 18k as well, but by law you have until April 1st to renew the plates. A farmer loophole put in there for some reason. I cannot tell you how many I see with otherwise expired registration on March 31st and then magically the next day all of them have brand new shinny stickers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
One unsolicited bit of advice...

Do NOT swap plates between your car and truck, we CAN tell the difference without needing to "Run" them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Do NOT swap plates between your car and truck, we CAN tell the difference without needing to "Run" them.
View Quote

I did that, and got caught. I put the old plates on to go pay the sales tax and get the plates for a new truck, and got pulled over. When he pulled me over it was into my own driveway, and when I answered *why* I had the wrong plates (and showed him the new ones I was about to put on), he said I'd be much better off to go without plates than to put the wrong ones on.

Verbal warning, and I never did it again.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know its true to 24k plates and I assume for 18k as well, but by law you have until April 1st to renew the plates. A farmer loophole put in there for some reason. I cannot tell you how many I see with otherwise expired registration on March 31st and then magically the next day all of them have brand new shinny stickers.
View Quote

You actually only have until March 1st. People try and ride it out to April 1st so that they only have to pay 75% of the registration fee, since 18k and above are pro-rated by quarter. Also, as of July 2015, you can now get 2 year registration on trucks 18k and above.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As stated, it's good PC.

In Randolph I had a hard time enforcing the speed limit (20 on Randolph Rd.) also the speed limit signs were not the correct height under state law.

So I primarily wrote expired plates, no front plate, and improper display (i.e. Plate in window)

Fines IIRC  were around $125.00 on each offense.

Mainly newer Vettes and newer Camaro's

I pulled one newer Vette over and as I started to explain why I pulled him over he stated "Yeah, I know. No front plate." He went on to say that my summons was number 30 for that offense since he bought the car and he wasn't going to "Ruin the looks with a front plate".
View Quote

Not trying to derail the thread, but I've lived in KC my entire life and never heard of Randolph until now. I had to google it to find out its in the metro
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is it because car plates begin with letters and truck plates begin with numbers in MO?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it because car plates begin with letters and truck plates begin with numbers in MO?

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I sure found that out.

7 or 8 years ago I sold a SUV and bought a truck, went to the DoR and did the plate transfer. 6 months later I got pulled over for having car plates on my truck... I showed him the paper work linking the car plates to my truck so officer told me to get it taken care of asap. I went to the DoR and told them what happens, bought new plates, put them on and a week later I get pulled over again for having different car plates registered to my truck, on my truck. This time I got a ticket. I went back to the DoR  and finally got truck plates. That was a massive cluster fuck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I sure found that out.

7 or 8 years ago I sold a SUV and bought a truck, went to the DoR and did the plate transfer. 6 months later I got pulled over for having car plates on my truck... I showed him the paper work linking the car plates to my truck so officer told me to get it taken care of asap. I went to the DoR and told them what happens, bought new plates, put them on and a week later I get pulled over again for having different car plates registered to my truck, on my truck. This time I got a ticket. I went back to the DoR  and finally got truck plates. That was a massive cluster fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure found that out.

If you had your registration showing it was a DOR screwup, you shouldn't have received a summons.

I've pulled over several vehicles that DOR had registered as cars that shouldn't have been. Nissan Frontier quad cab pickup, Ford Explorer Sport Trac (four door cab with a short pickup bed)., etc.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you had your registration showing it was a DOR screwup, you shouldn't have received a summons.

I've pulled over several vehicles that DOR had registered as cars that shouldn't have been. Nissan Frontier quad cab pickup, Ford Explorer Sport Trac (four door cab with a short pickup bed)., etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure found that out.

That was my thinking as well...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sure found that out.

This.  DOR is not infallible.  Nor is LE.  I stayed out of this one because its one of those "meh" things for me.  But remember:  LE doesn't typically make law; we may offer our input but at the end of the day its elected officials.  

Believe me:  You DO NOT want LEO making laws (and I am one).  If we did, the first one I would make is SIP....Stupid In Public.  I could cure the crime and unemployment "crisis" in one fell swoop.  Jails would become the number one employer as they would be overflowing...

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I keep a small bracket that bolts to the back of the front push bumper. I usually leave that pos off.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I keep a small bracket that bolts to the back of the front push bumper. I usually leave that pos off.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af184/thorshammerblow2/show_zpsm3h1rmrn.jpg
View Quote
Extra points for the LEO in the pic!

I hope to be doing this very thing this spring with my FIL.  He purchased my dream car (1969 GTO).  We are supposed to hit the local car show circuit together...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Heck, you'd get your quota before ever leaving City Hall each morning.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe me:  You DO NOT want LEO making laws (and I am one).  If we did, the first one I would make is SIP....Stupid In Public.  I could cure the crime and unemployment "crisis" in one fell swoop.  Jails would become the number one employer as they would be overflowing...

Hell I would go out into the parking lot on Court night and ticket vehicles that showed up with expired plates and no front plates.

And of course there was the summons I wrote to an Attorney (expired plates) that was there for Traffic Court to represent a client. Our Prosecutor dismissed it.

And nturavrgcop is right, you REALLY don't want LEO's making laws.

And there is an answer to not drilling the front of your vehicle, I would NOT suggest using it to hide your front plate while driving Hide a Plate
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hell I would go out into the parking lot on Court night and ticket vehicles that showed up with expired plates and no front plates.

And of course there was the summons I wrote to an Attorney (expired plates) that was there for Traffic Court to represent a client. Our Prosecutor dismissed it.

How does the plate attach?  Seems it would need to be mounted somehow?

And there is an answer to not drilling the front of your vehicle, I would NOT suggest using it to hide your front plate while driving Hide a Plate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does the plate attach?  Seems it would need to be mounted somehow?

How does it mount?  Seems it'd need to bolt on somehow?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure found that out.

I always make sure that if I have a vehicle that can be registered as a truck or a car to register it as a truck with 12,000 pound plates that way you're not required to wear a seatbelt if you're over 18 years old.

Plus if you get the local plates with a farm endorsement it's usually way cheaper too!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew I was setting that up, but what the hell!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top