Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2015 11:48:46 PM EDT
Just got done filing the  report with the police dept. a short time ago.  I had 2 guys follow me home tonight.  I always back to park and after coming to a stop, they were blocking my way.  I gave them a few seconds to realize what was happening, but when they didn't move, I decided to get out and ask them to move.  I had an un-easy feeling, so I drew my weapon and hid it behind my leg as I got out and approached them.  I asked them to move so I could park.  They jumped out and started yelling as they approached me.  I started moving towards cover while keeping an eye on their hands and telling them they must have the wrong person.  They asked me a couple of questions that I didn't really understand.  Then got even louder as they got back in their vehicle and backed away.  I'm thinking they may have been intoxicated the way they were acting.

After it was over, I didn't know what to think and wasn't going to call the police.  I decided I wanted to replay it, so I set down and played the scene from my camera system.  After watching it, I decided I wanted the police to know about it in case they came back.  I was also thinking that maybe they could be looking for someone and might be chasing down people at random.  So I called the police and had an officer come by to hear my story and watch the video.

Comments?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If I thought they were following me I wouldn't have stopped at my house. I would have drove to the nearest police station or tried to lose them first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Good point, but I didn't think they were following me.  From the time they got behind me to my house was a fairly short distance and is along semi-major streets that have a lot of traffic.  They weren't right on my bumper or honking or anything to get my attention or make me think anything was up.  Not until they didn't move to let me park.  Looking back, that may have been the time to call 911 and proceed to the station.

What's that they say about hindsight being 20/20?  

I'm just glad it didn't escalate into anything.  All I could think about when those guys started yelling and approaching me was that "I didn't want to have to shoot anyone tonight..."
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Com...did your camera catch the plate?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, the guys were in a UTV.  This is a small town and UTV's and quads aren't that uncommon.  Also, the view was mostly blocked because of a trailer I use to haul dirt bikes and a tree.  Microphone picked up the conversation rather well though and you could see enough.  This has made me think about adding another camera or two.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, if I were uneasy enough with the situation to feel that drawing my gun was warranted; I would have never exited my vehicle.

At THAT point, you knew something was off even if you didn't realize they had been following you.  Luckily it ended without injury or shots fired but if it had gone bad, your decision to exit would have been scrutinized to no end.

Just an observation of the events as presented.  It's hard to know how anyone would react in any given situation without actually being there.  I'm glad it seems to have worked out but I hope you stay on guard in case they return.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You lived.  You're unhurt, have actual video to review.  Once your pulse slows down, review the circumstances.  Do a no BS assessment on how it went, what you want or feel you could do better next time, and remember.

It's how I train my people to handle a heightened response situation.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, if I were uneasy enough with the situation to feel that drawing my gun was warranted; I would have never exited my vehicle.

At THAT point, you knew something was off even if you didn't realize they had been following you.  Luckily it ended without injury or shots fired but if it had gone bad, your decision to exit would have been scrutinized to no end.

Just an observation of the events as presented.  It's hard to know how anyone would react in any given situation without actually being there.  I'm glad it seems to have worked out but I hope you stay on guard in case they return.
View Quote

I disagree, and here's why...

For me, unholstering my firearm is not the same as brandishing or pointing it at someone.  A person that is in decent physical shape can cover 20 feet in about the time it takes to draw your weapon.  By already having it in hand, I just had a head start if something went down  I read an article in field and stream magazine when I was a kid.  In this article, the author asked the question, "What holster gives you the fastest draw time?".  Then he answered himself by telling his readers that your hand was the fastest holster.  I've unholstered my weapon many times back through the years when I've noticed things happening around me that I felt called for it.  Then I make my escape or what ever I need to do to get away from the situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You lived.  You're unhurt, have actual video to review.  Once your pulse slows down, review the circumstances.  Do a no BS assessment on how it went, what you want or feel you could do better next time, and remember.

It's how I train my people to handle a heightened response situation.

View Quote

Sound advice and is what I'm doing.  I'm just bouncing my experience off of you guys to get some different perspectives...  It really wasn't that big of a deal, just the biggest that's happened to me in quite a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What part of the state are you in OP?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For me, unholstering my firearm is not the same as brandishing or pointing it at someone.  A person that is in decent physical shape can cover 20 feet in about the time it takes to draw your weapon.  By already having it in hand, I just had a head start if something went down  I read an article in field and stream magazine when I was a kid.  In this article, the author asked the question, "What holster gives you the fastest draw time?".  Then he answered himself by telling his readers that your hand was the fastest holster.  I've unholstered my weapon many times back through the years when I've noticed things happening around me that I felt called for it.  Then I make my escape or what ever I need to do to get away from the situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your handgun was hidden behind you as you stated, we can assume they never saw it.   If that's correct it is not brandishing by definition.     "showing or displaying a weapon in an angry or threatening manor"    It has to be seen by someone to be brandishing.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

North central,  town of about 10,000 people.  I used to travel a lot for work though (I covered 10 states doing communications work for a retail chain.  Setting up new stores and repair jobs on existing) and have spent a lot of time in bigger cities.  Places I wasn't familiar with and because of that, I sometimes went places that were questionable after dark...  I've walked into drug deals and have been approached by rather interesting acting youths while their buddies try to flank me,,, and other circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If your handgun was hidden behind you as you stated, we can assume they never saw it.   If that's correct it is not brandishing by definition.     "showing or displaying a weapon in an angry or threatening manor"    It has to be seen by someone to be brandishing.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure they never saw it.  I may have looked funny holding my arm behind me, but I could care less how funny they thought I looked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Question for the LEO's...

I repeat ably told the responding officers that I was only wanting to establish a record of what had transpired in case they came back and thing escalated.  They kept asking me if I wanted them to find the guys and find out why they followed me.  Were they just looking for probable cause to stop these guys in hopes of getting a DUI arrest?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I repeat ably told the responding officers that I was only wanting to establish a record of what had transpired in case they came back and thing escalated.  They kept asking me if I wanted them to find the guys and find out why they followed me.  Were they just looking for probable cause to stop these guys in hopes of getting a DUI arrest?
View Quote

Com...if you pulled your gun, you should have said yes, and let them do their job.  I believe that if that little voice tells you to pull your gun....you pull it.  LE will make their own case (visual) on their own if they wanted to check them out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Could be a number of things.  Primarily, I'd want to have a talk with them to get both sides of story and to see if I was going to have more calls regarding their...shenanigans
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

North central,  town of about 10,000 people.  I used to travel a lot for work though (I covered 10 states doing communications work for a retail chain.  Setting up new stores and repair jobs on existing) and have spent a lot of time in bigger cities.  Places I wasn't familiar with and because of that, I sometimes went places that were questionable after dark...  I've walked into drug deals and have been approached by rather interesting acting youths while their buddies try to flank me,,, and other circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having lived in big cities and smaller towns, I figured a smaller town.  For some reason that kind of crap happens a lot in smaller towns.  Though I'm sure it happens in large cities too.

And I know that people have given you a hard time for drawing, but I think that drawing and still concealing your handgun was a wise decision.

Burned out LEO made a great thread about encounters with criminals & I think he would approve as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1285487_.html
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Drawing isn't the main issue; getting out and approaching them is the problem. However it ended up, it would have been you going after people over a parking spot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Drawing isn't the main issue; getting out and approaching them is the problem. However it ended up, it would have been you going after people over a parking spot.
View Quote

Did we read the same post?

How is politely asking someone who is blocking your drive way to move "going after people over a parking spot".
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How is politely asking someone who is blocking your drive way to move "going after people over a parking spot".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was uneasy about it, and went with gun in hand. I'd drive around the block and come back, before going for the confrontation.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He was uneasy about it, and went with gun in hand. I'd drive around the block and come back, before going for the confrontation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what you're saying.  But saying that he was "going after people over a parking spot" is a pretty far cry from what actually happened.

Besides, I wouldn't be inclined on leaving my wife and kids unattended when I knew two oddballs were parked just outside the house.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I get what you're saying.  But saying that he was "going after people over a parking spot" is a pretty far cry from what actually happened.

Besides, I wouldn't be inclined on leaving my wife and kids unattended when I knew two oddballs were parked just outside the house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they'd attacked the guy, the news headline would have been "Shooting Erupts Over Parking Spot."

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup, with a quote saying something like *I knew something was wrong, so I walked back and confronted them.*
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yup, with a quote saying something like *I knew something was wrong, so I walked back and confronted them.*
View Quote

How would they come up with these titles?  If something would have happened, the only thing that would have been said was that "I was attacked when I asked these guys if they could move so I could get into my driveway and I had to defend myself".  The rest would have been told to my lawyer and I sure wouldn't have posted anything here...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Having lived in big cities and smaller towns, I figured a smaller town.  For some reason that kind of crap happens a lot in smaller towns.  Though I'm sure it happens in large cities too.

And I know that people have given you a hard time for drawing, but I think that drawing and still concealing your handgun was a wise decision.

Burned out LEO made a great thread about encounters with criminals & I think he would approve as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like what this guy had to say.  I've read about encounters/shootings and talked to guys that had been in shootouts.  Not once have I ever read or heard that they wished that they would have waited longer to draw/shoot.  In fact, most times they wish they would have reacted earlier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top