Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2015 8:02:47 AM EDT
This weekend a City of Washington checkpoint at the Hwy 47 bridge.  Pulled up, they asked for license, I pulled out my wallet, dug around and pulled out the license, cop looked at it, handed it back to me, said thank you and I drove off. Total time of contact maybe ~30 seconds.

Going back the other way I already had the wallet and license out, cop looked at it, handed it back, said thank you and I drove off.
Total time of contact ~20 seconds.

I didn't hand over the Franklin Co. CCW card, which is non-photo anyway.
No duty to inform, so I didn't bother.

Hadn't been through a sobriety checkpoint in 15 years. This was the first one since CCW law changed. I didn't even think about it until afterwards.

Non-event and not really worthy of a post, but here it is anyway.  

Anything to discuss?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell no don't give them your CCW......Don't give them ANY information they did not ask for.  Furthermore, I am hesitant to give the ANY information even if they did ask for it.  "I respectfully decline to answer" anything about where I'm coming from, going to, or are lawfully transporting in the car.  Not trying to be a dick--I'll engage in conversation--but I'm not giving them free information especially in this circumstance when I'm being delayed for no reason.  There's never been anything in the law that says we have to inform....traffic stop, checkpoint, etc.  Only if asked you have to produce the card--don't have to say what/where/if you're carrying, just have to produce the card.

I'm on the fence about these sobriety checkpoints.  I despise drunk drivers and hope they get caught, but at the same time if the supreme court says they can do this, what's next?  What's the next "checkpoint" they're able to get through.  Makes me nervous.  There's still a gray area about what happens if they come across something else illegal during these stops.  They're not supposed to be looking for anything else.  But if you have a bloody knife and a bag of cash on the passenger seat, you think you're going to be free to go???  LOL.....That's kind of extreme, but what if it's just something else that catches their eye for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Last one I went through, I had half of our U-14 girls soccer team on board the mini-van.  In uniform, loud and ready to kick butt.  I was waved on through.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell no don't give them your CCW......Don't give them ANY information they did not ask for.  Furthermore, I am hesitant to give the ANY information even if they did ask for it.  "I respectfully decline to answer" anything about where I'm coming from, going to, or are lawfully transporting in the car.  Not trying to be a dick--I'll engage in conversation--but I'm not giving them free information especially in this circumstance when I'm being delayed for no reason.  There's never been anything in the law that says we have to inform....traffic stop, checkpoint, etc.  Only if asked you have to produce the card--don't have to say what/where/if you're carrying, just have to produce the card.

I'm on the fence about these sobriety checkpoints.  I despise drunk drivers and hope they get caught, but at the same time if the supreme court says they can do this, what's next?  What's the next "checkpoint" they're able to get through.  Makes me nervous.  There's still a gray area about what happens if they come across something else illegal during these stops.  They're not supposed to be looking for anything else.  But if you have a bloody knife and a bag of cash on the passenger seat, you think you're going to be free to go???  LOL.....That's kind of extreme, but what if it's just something else that catches their eye for some reason.
View Quote

IF you have to work a 10-50J4 (accident w/ fatalities) and it a 3 year old girl and her 5 year old sister, caused by a fucking drunk driver I think your opinion might change. (the St. Joseph News-Press published a photo of a Trooper at the scene broke down in tears)

Or if you arrive on the scene of an accident where the (drunk) driver was trapped and burning to death you might change your mind. (I woke up in a cold sweat smelling burning flesh for two weeks)

Until this country has had enough of the senseless slaughter on the roads and actually tightens up the DWI laws this will continue.

Drivers will get revoked and get right back behind the wheel drunk and THEN will get a slap on the wrist and get BACK behind the wheel drunk.

Now, I have to ask you....if it was your two young children that was killed by a drunk driver would you think that a Sobrity Check Point is wrong?

And people wonder why I don't drink, EVER!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Back on Joes topic, I never volunteer any info. at a checkpoint. I'll greet them, but after that if I'm not asked anything I'll just be sitting there waiting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
If you'd ever responded to a mass shooting at a school you'd probably change your mind on guns.   What you've seen is awful, and I thank you for doing it, but liberty should never be exchanged for safety.  It is a slippery slope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't roll down the window.

I'm not doing anything wrong. Leave me the fuck alone and go solve a crime.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IF you have to work a 10-50J4 (accident w/ fatalities) and it a 3 year old girl and her 5 year old sister, caused by a fucking drunk driver I think your opinion might change. (the St. Joseph News-Press published a photo of a Trooper at the scene broke down in tears)

Or if you arrive on the scene of an accident where the (drunk) driver was trapped and burning to death you might change your mind. (I woke up in a cold sweat smelling burning flesh for two weeks)

Until this country has had enough of the senseless slaughter on the roads and actually tightens up the DWI laws this will continue.

Drivers will get revoked and get right back behind the wheel drunk and THEN will get a slap on the wrist and get BACK behind the wheel drunk.

Now, I have to ask you....if it was your two young children that was killed by a drunk driver would you think that a Sobrity Check Point is wrong?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree with you there.  I also think that lax laws and light punishments are also why we're losing the WOD.

Emotionalism aside, checkpoints are just a bad idea.  Inconveniencing 1000 to catch 1 is no way to help the police's image among honest people.  They're constitutionally dubious.  And, IMO, exacerbate the DWI problem.  When I was in high school in the 90's everyone knew about the local checkpoint within an hour after it was set up.  It didn't make anyone stop drinking and driving, it just made us take backroads.  Plus since all the county cops were tied up at the checkpoint we knew we could get away with a lot more, and we did.  All that before cell phones and social media.

And for the record I am, and always have been, a tea totaler.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, I worked in EMS for 10 yrs and completely agree with you.  You know how many scenes I was on where a innocent person was J4 and here I am transporting the drunk--saving his life.  What a freakin nightmare, and it has a lot to do with why I am no longer in it.  Saving the lives of the drunk, stoned, and stupid gets old quick.

The problem is drunk drivers don't give a shit and can still get in a car anytime.......e.g. the guy with 5 DWI's that killed the motorcyclist two weeks ago at 270 & Gravois.  The system didn't stop him.  That SOB should have been in jail years ago, but the system let him out and gave him access to loaded weapons (in this case, alcohol and a car).

I can't really argue anything else when comes to DUI checkpoints EXCEPT if we give them that power how bad is it going to be exploited and turned into something else.  Give them in an inch, and they'll take a mile, right?  If it's stays nothing more than a sobriety checkpoint, morally, I cannot find one reason to be against it.  It just scares me what it could eventually be morphed into (which will have NOTHING to do with sobriety anymore.)

EDIT:  Also, the only argument I could add is that anymore with Facebook, Twitter, etc having "DUI Sobriety Checkpoint" pages & nortifcations the surprise factor is gone, and these people just adjust their routes.  I've heard from local restaurant & bar owners that their business tanks when the local cops start up with them.  I think "good", but you know the drunks just went to the next town over that night which makes their drive home even longer.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm at the point to if you kill someone while driving under the influence, it should be an AUTOMATIC DEATH PENALTY!!!

As far as I'm concerned it meets the definition of Premeditated, why?

Even alcoholics know what can/will happen if they drive impaired.

I WILL state this, if a drunk driver kills a member of my family, they will be discussing it with God in short order.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anything to discuss?
View Quote

No...I think its all been covered.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Respectfully, this reeks of the same "think of the children" arguments that anti-gunners like to trot out when looking to restrict our second amendment rights... and I say that as someone who rarely drinks and despises drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I would sacrifice an immeasurable amount of innocent life in order to preserve liberty.

DWI should be mandatory jail time.  Kill someone while DWI, minimum 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would sacrifice an immeasurable amount of innocent life in order to preserve liberty.

View Quote
Frankly, I will not sacrifice my children for your "right" to drink and drive.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one said anything about a "right to drink and drive."
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then choose your words more carefully.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I stand by my words, which in no way promoted drinking and driving.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Checkpoints are one of the most unamerican, unconstitutional things this country gets away with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Checkpoints are one of the most unamerican, unconstitutional things this country gets away with.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Then do you think that you shouldn't be required to have a Drivers License? Insurance? You think that you should have a right to drive impaired?

I've had to deal with "Sovereign Citizens" who believe this. If we stop trying as Law Enforcement then we WILL become Mogadishu Somalia. Anarchy will be the norm.

Joe Bob isn't hurting anyone but himself when he drives drunk....

Randomly inserting graphic images is a CoC violation, warning sent...VA-gunnut

IN 2013, 10,076 PEOPLE DIED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES - ONE EVERY 52 MINUTES - AND 290,000 WERE INJURED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Then do you think that you shouldn't be required to have a Drivers License? Insurance? You think that you should have a right to drive impaired?

I've had to deal with "Sovereign Citizens" who believe this. If we stop trying as Law Enforcement then we WILL become Mogadishu Somalia. Anarchy will be the norm.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/d302b2f16c68c269fb44cd61df82f7c3.jpg

IN 2013, 10,076 PEOPLE DIED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES - ONE EVERY 52 MINUTES - AND 290,000 WERE INJURED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/d302b2f16c68c269fb44cd61df82f7c3.jpg

There is so much wrong with this, how could one know where to start?  This is the type of tripe I expect to hear from Josh Sugarmann or Amy Schumer.  Without making any more of a leap than you did, I could surmize that you believe civilization is incompatible with liberty.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

UnAmerican? Meh.  Lots of things done in the name of "America" that certainly don't represent my values. Like "sacrifice an immeasurable amount of innocent life in order to preserve liberty. "  Because you don't get to decide about sacrificing my innocent child's life to make your fight for "liberty".

Unconstitutional?  High Court of the land disagrees.  Lots of cases I'll state that the SCOTUS got wrong.  However, under con-law, case law precedence (ie:  SCOTUS ruling) wins.  

Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz

ETA:  little SCOMO

State v.
Welch, 755 S.W.2d 624 (Mo.App.W.D. 1988)

State v. Canton, 775 S.w.2d 352
(Mo.App.E.D. 1989).

Yep.  They put restrictions on them but at the same time stated that if the directives were followed its constitutional.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

UnAmerican? Meh.  Lots of things done in the name of "America" that certainly don't represent my values. Like "sacrifice an immeasurable amount of innocent life in order to preserve liberty. "  Because you don't get to decide about sacrificing my innocent child's life to make your fight for "liberty".

Unconstitutional?  High Court of the land disagrees.  Lots of cases I'll state that the SCOTUS got wrong.  However, under con-law, case law precedence (ie:  SCOTUS ruling) wins.  

State v.Welch, 755 S.W.2d 624 (Mo.App.W.D. 1988)
State v. Canton, 775 S.w.2d 352(Mo.App.E.D. 1989).

Yep.  They put restrictions on them but at the same time stated that if the directives were followed its constitutional.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just aren't capable of discussing an issue without putting words and or intent into someone else's opinion that aren't there are you?

Once again, no one said anything about your kids, my kids, or anyone else's kids.

Do you seriously believe that innocent blood wasn't shed in the creation of this country?  Do you not believe that what our founders created should be preserved?  

By all means, lock up as many drunk drivers as you can find.  I just prefer you do it without infringing on the liberties of the innocent.  That isn't possible with a checkpoint.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You just aren't capable of discussing an issue without putting words and or intent into someone else's opinion that aren't there are you?

Once again, no one said anything about your kids, my kids, or anyone else's kids being sacrificed.  

Do you seriously believe that innocent blood wasn't shed in the creation of this country?  Do you not believe that what our founders created should be preserved?  

By all means, lock up as many drunk drivers as you can find.  I just prefer you do it without infringing on the liberties of the innocent.  That isn't possible is constitutional with a checkpoint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again, no one said anything about your kids, my kids, or anyone else's kids being sacrificed.  

By all means, lock up as many drunk drivers as you can find.  I just prefer you do it without infringing on the liberties of the innocent.  That isn't possible is constitutional with a checkpoint.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't said it wasn't constitutional, at least as defined by SCOTUS.  Doesn't mean I will ever support it or stop asking my elected reps to make it unlawful.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I guess that settles it, the supreme Court is always right....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Sometimes police make it harder to like the police.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sometimes police make it harder to like the police.
View Quote

Not trying to make people like me.  I need someone for that, I have friends, family and dogs.  Hell, even my kid's cat thinks I'm ok whenever I feed it.

Sort of seems silly to go into a job that tasks you with enforcing rules of the society in which you work, many of which are unpopular and hope people like you.  

I would think by now most people on here would know that I don't care if you "like" me or not.  I come here to learn and share about a common interest (firearms), share what I know regarding my chosen career, look for bargains and generally just hang out.  I try to say things straight, sometimes emotions plays a part in it.  When emotion does, I understand that its my opinion and not fact.  

Make friends regarding my job?  No.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.  But until you change their ruling, its the law.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you don't support that law and its implementation in our local area, then you support drunk driving.  So goes the logic of your previous post.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
And if you don't support that law and its implementation in our local area, then you support drunk driving.  So goes the logic of your previous post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  What I said was if you don't like it change it.  What active steps have you taken to change it?  I see no challenges to sobriety check points on the SCOMO schedule for 2015.  A quick google of events in MO show no rallies calling for its demise.  SO, what are you doing to change it?

Bitching about its constitutionality is just that. Bitching. If you don't like it Swanny, what active, substantive steps have you taken to change it?

Here's a shock that many people sometimes can't accept:  just because I don't like it doesn't make it so.  

I live in the US, where I have mechanisms in place that give me the opportunity to change things I don't like.  Opportunity does not equal "will change".  Because I have to convince other members of that society that I am right.  And if I don't, then the will of the "people" that everyone here pounds their chest about have spoken.  

Folks like to throw around the word sheep or sheeple.  I have even used them.  Want to know one of the most frustrating parts about being a police officer?  Seeing the same problem every day and over time developing a solid plan to fix it and guess what:  the people I work for don't want it.  They may not see the problem as a problem.  They may not feel comfortable with the "optics" of the fix.  They may not want to throw money at it.  In the end, it is the popular vote of the populous that affects law.  And I either learn to accept that, or quit and work for QuikTrip.

So, back to the original topic and keeping the spirit of my commentary:  DUI/DWI is a identifiable, quantitative and qualitative issue of our society.  A method, controversial as it may be, has been established and tested in court.  Precedence is now established.  No one says you have to like it.  You can even change it if you can convince law makers and your fellow citizens that your right and the courts are wrong.  But if you are going to respond by saying "law makers won't do anything", or "people are idiots and won't change it" or hell, even "pie".  Then you are just bitching.

When someone says "its unconstitutional" they need to read how our government is structured in large part under the constitution.  Laws are challenge-able; legislation is too.  You may feel that SCOTUS or SCOMO ruled in error.  But by definition it is not unconstitutional.

Gosh, I feel better now! All that and I still haven't had my first cup of coffee yet

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Well stated!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sounds like the fishing trip was productive.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The results

Sounds like the fishing trip was productive.  

So 2 DWI's out of that?  Well done.

Meanwhile, the people who were out drinking and driving went another way and there wasn't any po-po to see how bad they were driving. I'd love to see if there were any DWI related accidents in other parts of the city while this harassment was going on.

ETA: Yes, it was a fishing trip. It's a sobriety checkpoint, not a "show-me-your-papers" checkpoint, yet looky here......

Agendas. Not just for Obama.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#37]
For more entertainment, how about a Pitbull thread?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And yet I read of no person who wasn't afoul of the law being arrested that evening.  Weird.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Yes, it was a fishing trip. It's a sobriety checkpoint, not a "show-me-your-papers" checkpoint, yet looky here......
And yet I read of no person who wasn't afoul of the law being arrested that evening.  Weird.

I guess we should just forget about the 650 people who were detained against their will that night while being investigated for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

For more entertainment, how about a Pitbull thread?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I guess we should just forget about the 650 people who were detained against their will that night while being investigated for no reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DUI Related Deaths by State:  Missouri

2012:  283 or 34% overall

2013:  248 or 33% overall
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they be?  If they aren't "afoul of the law"?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 2012 Missouri had 880 gun related deaths and 781 auto related deaths.

When are you going to go door to door checking the papers of gun owners?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Was there RAS to detain those 650 people to check for intoxication?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was there RAS to detain those 650 people to check for intoxication?

"Despite the fact that drivers are frequently stopped for a long period
of time, the United States Supreme Court and Missouri Supreme Court have upheld
sobriety checkpoints as constitutional. To pass constitutional muster, Courts
have justified checkpoints from a public interest standpoint. Thus, even when a
completely sober driver is "seized” in violation of his or her Fourth Amendment
rights, Courts state the stop was unduly burdensome and
therefore constitutional.

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that for sobriety checkpoints to be
constitutional, proper procedures must be followed. These procedures include:
administrative officers of the law enforcement agency determined the location
of the checkpoint; the time and location of the checkpoint was adequately
publicized to the public; the location was marked with advance warning signs;
uniformed officers were present to demonstrate the official nature of the
checkpoint; the selection of the motor vehicles was not arbitrary; and the
checkpoint was conducted to assure the safety of motorists."
<o:p></o:p>

What aspects of the mandates provided by SCOTUS or SCOMO were violated?

<o:p> </o:p>

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Click bait is going to click....
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sucks when your "logic" falls apart and you've got nothing, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did it fall a part?  I point out legal, tested and precedented detection techniques.  You lob in a fear of 2nd Amendment supporters that has never occurred in MO.  Please explain how your posting your thinly linked fears to an approved and vetted technique which you have never filed a court challenge to in MO relate?

Or, show me in casenet where you have challenged it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Knock Knock... Hello?  JAD762  I thought we we discussing my JBT ways???
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How did it fall a part?  I point out legal, tested and precedented detection techniques.  You lob in a fear of 2nd Amendment supporters that has never occurred in MO.  Please explain how your posting your thinly linked fears to an approved and vetted technique which you have never filed a court challenge to in MO relate?      

Or, show me in casenet where you have challenged it?
View Quote

No you didn't.  You defended detaining 650 people without cause by quoting the death rate attributed to drunk driving.  Logic being that the drunk driving habit of some legitimizes the detainment & search of others without probable cause.

I simply asked you when you were going to apply the same logic based on the death rate attributed to firearms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top