Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2015 4:22:50 PM EDT
I've read a lot of info on other state's laws regarding pistol builds, but I'm still curious about our local laws in Missouri(Boone County).  I recently bought a few stripped  lower receivers that were registered as "other" when purchased. I've started the build on one of the lowers but have yet to decide what upper style to build. Is there another step where I need to re register the gun if I build it as a pistol or am I over complicating this? In Boone County we no longer have to register pistols locally when purchased from a gun dealer like we used to in the past, so that's where my confusion comes from. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing, legally speaking, that you need to do in order to build as a pistol or a rifle for that matter.

Your lowers were transferred as "other" as they should have been and not as a rifle or pistol.  They weren't actually "registered" and there is no way in Missouri to do so even if someone wanted to.  

Firearms are completely preempted in state law so no city or municipality is allowed to have restrictions or requirements above and beyond what the state and federal government have spelled out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Just wanted to be 100% before I started in a build. The "registering" mentioned in the other threads were likely just referring to the process with their local sheriffs office. Shouldn't be an issue for me in Boone County.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. Just wanted to be 100% before I started in a build. The "registering" mentioned in the other threads were likely just referring to the process with their local sheriffs office. Shouldn't be an issue for me in Boone County.
View Quote

Missouri did away with it's old "permit to purchase" system more than 10 years ago. Thanks to the diligent efforts of people on this board and others, Missouri basically has no gun laws of its own beyond the CCW provisions. Federal law is pretty much all there is here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to see interesting pics and info, dating back to 2004 and from around the country, here's a good thread;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/200876_The_AR15_PISTOL_INFORMATION_THREAD____.html
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. So many options to explore with the pistol builds. I've gone into overdrive with my gun habit this year. With the election coming up next year, I don't want to have to push and shove for parts and accessories like I've had to in past years. Luckily I have midway right outside of town. I can usually get what I need same day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top