Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 1:09:54 PM EDT

I've had boudin several times, I love it, but I never thought to try to look for it in St. Louis.

I would prefer stuff I can take home to cook, but I would settle for a restaurant if anyone has had it at.

Here is a 15 min video about boudin if you've never heard of it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno, but after watching that video, I want some!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Heck, we can order it online from the Boudin capitol of the world! lol

http://www.donsspecialtymeats.com/boudin/
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Shipping is about $30. Serious group buy to save on shipping?

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there is a place in Rock Hill.  I'll ask my wife, she used to live near where I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, $30.00 to ship a pound of Cracklin via UPS ground?

They've had their head in the smoker too long.

ETA:  Quick Google search on "boudin st louis":  http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=boudin&find_loc=Saint+Louis%2C+MO#start=0&cflt=meats
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think there is a place in Rock Hill.  I'll ask my wife, she used to live near where I'm thinking.
View Quote
Baumann's.

Don't know if they have it, but I get lots of stuff from there.

http://www.baumannsfinemeats.com/

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Holland's in Fenton has it.  They have boudin stuffed chicken breasts and pork chops too.  Very good.  Their smoked sausage is also excellent.  It used to be a restaurant and catering place as well, but they moved that half of the business to High Ridge.

40 New Sugar Creek  (Which is Bowles Ave if you go north.)
Fenton

Will post the website when I get to a computer rather than my phone

Here ya go:  http://www.hollandcafeandmeats.com/
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Baumann's.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baumann's.  

Another excellent shop.  They do a ton of busines even for how small the place is and with schnucks across the street.  Very nice people.

What else do you get there?

The other place a bit further down Manchester that could be Hanlen's. ....that's Kirkwood .   Baumanns is is Brentwood.  Not sure on Rock Hill.  Used to be a Cajun restaurant there called the Gumbo Shop......on the corner of McKnight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
blah most of the stuff up here doesn't taste right.  just take the 16 hr round trip drive and get the real stuff

now ppl in the KC area I know were to get some, i have family that travels back and forth to nola regularly now
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I guess I'm going to Fenton tomorrow to find some Boudin. I'll give a review and post pics. The only stuff I've had was from LA. Its been too long I'm not going to be picky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I guess I'm going to Fenton tomorrow to find some Boudin. I'll give a review and post pics. The only stuff I've had was from LA. Its been too long I'm not going to be picky.
View Quote

Take a cooler.......get some of the hickory smoked sausage, boudin stuffed chicken and chops, and some of the big pork steaks.  They have boudin just by itself in the freezer case on the right if you want it for a side.  Grab some charcoal and some of the local BBQ sauces he has too.  As you can tell, I do a lot of shopping there.

C&C Butcher in Ellisville is another great place.  They have marinated steak tips (flap meat).  I'm not usually into marinades, but he uses a vacuum tumbler and really drives the flavor in.  The burgundy tips are my favorite.  Butter garlic and the house/Italian ones are good too.  He has three or four others, plus marinated chicken.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget the andouille if you're going where boudain  is made!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
We aren't running it in sausage form, but this weekend at Quincy Street Bistro we have boudin balls, and boudin stuffed pork chops.  All made from the Berkshire hog we got on wednesday.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We aren't running it in sausage form, but this weekend at Quincy Street Bistro we have boudin balls, and boudin stuffed pork chops.  All made from the Berkshire hog we got on wednesday.

View Quote

Had lunch here several times.  Very good place.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another excellent shop.  They do a ton of busines even for how small the place is and with schnucks across the street.  Very nice people.
The other place a bit further down Manchester that could be Hanlen's. ....that's Kirkwood .   Baumanns is is Brentwood.  Not sure on Rock Hill.  Used to be a Cajun restaurant there called the Gumbo Shop......on the corner of McKnight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Baumann's.  

Sid, Mary and the kids moved back to Louisiana.  The guy who took it over could never live up to what Sid had created, and when the block was torn down he didn't relocate.

Depends on what I'm doing, but I get andouille sausage, pork kabobs; their sausages are pretty great.  I also get a lot from Kenrick's, but andouille comes from Baumann's in my book

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Love your cheese curds

Going to fenton today
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Check with Bolyards meat and provisions in maplewood.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, I'm the sous chef.

Glad the hive enjoys our eats!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Depends on what I'm doing, but I get andouille sausage, pork kabobs; their sausages are pretty great.  I also get a lot from Kenrick's, but andouille comes from Baumann's in my book

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll have to get some andouille next time I'm there.  They are such nice people, I really enjoy stopping in there.

Quoted:
Check with Bolyards meat and provisions in maplewood.

They do not have boudin, but it's still an awesome place.  I was just there yesterday.  I got some beer brats made with Schlafly, and another sausage which name escapes me already.  They have rabbit and all kinds of stuff that I have no idea how to use, but I was talking with the owner and he's thinking about putting on classes or cooking demonstrations to show people the possibilities with all these other specialty products he has.

Quoted:
Yup, I'm the sous chef.

Glad the hive enjoys our eats!

Love your meatloaf!  Great friend chicken, chili, SouthSider, and just about everything else I've had there.  Read the article in FEAST, that's when I made the first visit
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I worked with Chris (the owner of bolyards) for 6 years at Sidney street cafe. He's easily one of the best cooks I've ever met. Any class he teaches would be well worth it
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quincy street rules too. Everything on the menu is good
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I worked with Chris (the owner of bolyards) for 6 years at Sidney street cafe. He's easily one of the best cooks I've ever met. Any class he teaches would be well worth it
View Quote

I used to eat at Sydney Street Cafe down by A-B often!  They had some great food.  My favorite was the Cajun Chicken Linguini!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]

The Boudin from Hollands had a little more rice than I'm used to, but man it was delicious.

The cooked one in the pic was pan fried with a side of leftover mash potatoes. Had it grilled last night and that was the best.

I will definitely be picking up more.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1, I'm a HUGE fan of andouille sausage but not boudin.

I think it's the texture I'm not a fan of. To me sausage is supposed to have "snap" to it when you bite into it, boudin is too mushy.

Gumbo loaded with andouille....mmmmmmmmm!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think it's the texture I'm not a fan of. To me sausage is supposed to have "snap" to it when you bite into it, boudin is too mushy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks talk about needing the"Holy Trinity" chopped celery,bell pepper, and onion in their gumbo...not in mine. Some green onions including the tops in the last 4-5 minutes and some dried granulated onion early on but andouille and okra are must haves in my gumbo. I can work with fin fish,shrimp,deer,smoked brisket,chicken,duck,squirrel,ham,pork loin,clams, oysters,crawdads,rabbit,grouse,gator loin,even a tough old turtle, pretty much anything but I need my andouille and okra and I really like my gumbo and take a lot of pride in it the way some people are with chili.

Don't forget the file'.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]
The wife has been to the New Orleans Cooking School twice in the last four years, she makes a pretty authentic Gumbo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The wife has been to the New Orleans Cooking School twice in the last four years, she make a pretty authentic Gumbo.
View Quote

Like I said gumbo is like chili,everyone makes it differently.Since she's been to the School she probably learned how to make a really good Roux,and that's important.

One of the most memorable was one of the first kitchens that had just reopened after Katrina
way out east on Chef Menteur one night as I was starting out...a quart container of gumbo quartered blue crabs and all a sleeve of saltines...wow that was good.

Now something that I've never tackled is making Mufalettas...has she said anything about them? They are a great sandwich.
There are some good places on Magazine St.....that area seemed to be ground zero for Mufalettas.

You can probably tell that I like my NOLA eats

Never did care for the beignets though.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn, we really have different tastes.

I LOVE beignets, I went to Cafe du Monde several times and hit the beignets.

She might be able to make a good muffuletta, but I HATE olives

One Cajun dish I really like is Shrimp Etouffee

And my absolute favorite New Orleans dish is Double Chocolate Bread Pudding at Ralph Brennan's Red Fish Grill. I have to have one (or more) everytime I'm in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Don't know if it's still there but there was a Café du Monde stall in the food court at the mall by Causeway.Have a beignet and chickory coffee while you shopwhile getting powdered sugar on everything.
How about pralines,do you like them? The shop by the French Market isn't too far from Café du Monde.

I don't remember which bakery made the best buns but a shrimp or oyster po boy is something that I miss.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#31]
The Cafe du Monde on the Riverwalk is still there.

Pralines are good, wife has made them several times.

Shrimp Po Boy using FRESH Shrimp, DAMN GOOD! There was a place on the Riverwalk that had really good Shrimp Po Boys but when they closed the Riverwalk for a year to remodel it they weren't there when it reopened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top