Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
I have a new house (moved in December), and I want a nice-looking, low-maintenance lawn.  I've been considering zoysia and buffalo grass.  I DON'T want to add a sprinkler system.  What sayeth ARFCOM MO on this subject?  I'm in the Jefferson City (Wardsville) area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What does your soil look like?  Are you clay, good topsoil, ozarks red rocky crap?

Shade or sunny?

How much maintenance do you want to do as far as chemicals fertilizer etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have a new house (moved in December), and I want a nice-looking, low-maintenance lawn.  I've been considering zoysia and buffalo grass.  I DON'T want to add a sprinkler system.  What sayeth ARFCOM MO on this subject?  I'm in the Jefferson City (Wardsville) area.
View Quote

Careful, some of them people just ain't right.    

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought all you high fallutin' Wardsville folks paid people to mow your lawns?!?!

ETA: I've got some zoysia that has bled over from my neighbors lawn and it is great.  It did seem to take a bit of a hit in the drought a few years back but my dandelions, thistles and crabgrass are still going strong!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Tear up the grass, put growth barrier down, and rock the whole yard.  Zero maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A fescue/white clover blend is drought tolerant, overwinters well, and tolerates poor soil relatively well. Fall is the best time to seed, approx. mid-late September.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Zoyzia creeps into everything and grows by runners.  I freaking hate my lawn with it.  It creeps between landscape bricks and everything else.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does your soil look like?  Are you clay, good topsoil, ozarks red rocky crap?

Shade or sunny?

How much maintenance do you want to do as far as chemicals fertilizer etc.
View Quote

The soil seems to be of decent consistency (not clay), but seems poor on nutrients.  My best grass is where we put down Jobe's tree fertilizer spikes, and where the dog poops.
Mostly sunny.
I want generally low maintenance.  I don't mind occasionally using my drop spreader, though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tear up the grass, put growth barrier down, and rock the whole yard.  Zero maintenance.
View Quote

Not quite zero as grass and weeds will start to grow in the rocks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have bermuda in my yard.  During the hot summer months, it stays green when everything else is brown.   That said, it is a love hate relationship.  It grew over from my neighbors yard and will take over everything if you don't watch it.  I love that it stays green, I hate that it gets into everything.  (Grass and Weedkiller is your friend.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The only way to get rid of zoysia or bermuda grass is to move. I like a turf type tall fescue myself. What ever you get feed it at least once a year and mow it as tall as your mower will let you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top