Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2015 1:22:58 AM EDT
I like tinkering around and making stuff...  Was looking online and though it might be cool to try this...

Not trying to go into business or anything, just Goofin around as a hobby...  I want to make some things for myself and I may make a few things for some friends if mine turn out ok...

If you've done it, what have you made?

Pics of your work, pics of your setup, Molds, Press, saw, sander, etc... etc...

I have a small list of things I'd like to make...

Holster for a Ruger MKIII 24/45

Holster for S&W M&P 22 and Compact

Mag holders for Glock Mags, S&W M&P 22 mags, Ruger MKIII Mags,

Mag holders for Scorpion Evo Mags

Holster Can of Dip  

1st Kydex MAC-10 Holster (not really, j/p)

A few knife sheaths for myself and my Pop...

who knows...  I'll probably just read about it and never get going...
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the info that you seek: DIY Kydex linky.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the info that you seek: DIY Kydex linky.
View Quote

Yeah I read a ton there.  I ended up watching it on Amazon and got it pretty cheap on several occasions.  I made a press from plywood and a foam knee pad in the gardening section of lowes.  

A couple of tips.

Starting out, always use more kydex than you think it will take.  If not you'll be stuck with not enough room to put your rivets in.  Don't try the two piece rivets, they are horribad.  Don't use the oven to heat your kydex, it works but it's not great.  Go to walmart and buy the cheapest electric griddle you can find it is perfect for this.

HAve fun with it.  At first you are going to waste some kydex trying things out seeing what works.  I think I had the most trial and error with belt loops. I ended up using 1/2" strips and wrapping them around a big paint stirrer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
what is a good source for kydex?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

what is a good source for kydex?
View Quote

I get most of mine from Knifekits.com

I've ordered some from Amazon but Knifekits always gets it right.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I just buy the cheap Chinese made stuff.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've done it, but I'm not very good at it.

I've made a couple holsters and a couple mag carriers.

Usually I've got to do it 5 or 6 times before I get it right.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Kydex is my full time business. It's not too hard to do a decent job. Plenty of youtube vids to help get you started. As with most things, you will learn by actually doing.

Knifekits.com is one of my preferred sources.
Also loo
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
knifekits.com is my go to. Been doing it on and off for a little over 2 years. Just actually started getting some of my things into some gun shops.

Knife kits will get you set up. They have good foam, rivet tools, supplies...

I use a drill press, dremel, harbor freight belt sander, heat gun, and 6 inch buffer wheel. You can get away with less tools and still make a decent holster. Just speeds things up and the fit/finish is better with the right tools.

It's nice getting a new gun, then the next day having awesome holsters for it
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Blister & Chainsaw.....

What are you guys using for a heat source?    I've been using a HF heat gun for small hand forming stuff and a pizza oven for my main.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the cost on a standard IWB holster to make?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to use the kitchen oven

I ended up getting a small toaster oven off amazon. works great, heats the kydex quickly.

the heat gun is nice for spot heating if you need to adjust fitment and for doing belt loops
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a heat press (like the t-shirt guys use) and a toaster oven depending on the size(s) and projects. Get a IR thermometer to watch your temperatures. Get it too hot and it will shrink and get brittle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I use a heat press (like the t-shirt guys use) and a toaster oven depending on the size(s) and projects. Get a IR thermometer to watch your temperatures. Get it too hot and it will shrink and get brittle.
View Quote

Been there done that.    I had a box of scrapped pieces for a while until I figured out temp & settings.

The tshirt press sounds interesting...

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What's the cost on a standard IWB holster to make?
View Quote
Material wise around 20 bucks

Just rough estimate

Under 10 for the kydex (another 15 or so, if you do a hybrid and add leather, unless you  can get it in bulk, cut shape and dye it)

Under 5 for the screws/rivets/eyelets

5ish maybe a bit more for the loops or however you fasten to a belt or Molle strap...

I don't see a lot of profit in it (after you figure in your hourly wage)....  You'd have to get to where you could whip them out really fast, while maintaining the fit, finish and quality...

I'm not thinking I'll make any money with it, but it looks fun...  

If I can make a few bucks to offset my supplies and other costs associated with this new hobby, It'll just be a bonus...  If I get into it that is...

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I charge $55 for an OWB holster. Raw material cost will vary greatly depending on what quantity you are ordering. The holster making kits from KnifeKits.com start at $25 for single holsters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top