Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 12:08:07 AM EDT
Looking at the possibility of accepting a job in the central district (near the library).

I've been there a few times over the last week and it seems fairly benign and nice, but I'm clueless as to how the area actually is (all of my time has bent spent on the periphery of the city...Johnson County, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like night life and are single you'll love it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've been hanging out in Johnson County, things can only get better as far as the people you'll encounter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on what you are looking for, if you have family, lifestyle, etc.  Just be aware that in KCMO, there is an earnings tax of 1% whether you live or work there.  If young and single, then the power and light area may be of interest.  That will not be far from you there for work.  There are a lot of lofts going in and new apartments being built downtown.  The southern part of downtown around 13th and Main would probably be the better area.  I would stay south of 10th for living if downtown.  The lightrail is going in along Main there also.  

If you don't want right down town, there is the Plaza area or Westport.  If you have kids, then DO NOT live within the KCMO school district, it is bad and a joke.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Just moved to the KC area and work downtown/Crossroads (but live on the Kansas side) - just found out about the blanket earnings tax. What the hell?!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just moved to the KC area and work downtown/Crossroads (but live on the Kansas side) - just found out about the blanket earnings tax. What the hell?!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Basically, "we want more money so give us yours."  

What is the earnings tax?
The earnings tax (sometimes referred to as “e-tax”) is a 1 percent tax on an individual’s earned income such as salaries, wages, commissions, tips and other compensation. It generates revenue that pays for a wide variety of basic city services used by all those who live and work in Kansas City, Missouri. In addition to helping fund basic city services such as repairing roads and weekly trash collection, the revenue from the earnings tax also pays for police officers, fire fighters, paramedics and ambulance services. Revenue from the earnings tax also helps fund snow removal, codes inspection, historic preservation and other city needs.

The earnings tax generates approximately $220 million dollars annually and is paid by any business or person who lives or works in Kansas City, Missouri.

Who has to file and/or pay earnings tax?
All Kansas City, Missouri residents are required to pay the earnings tax, even if they work outside of the city. Non-residents are required to pay the earnings tax on income earned within Kansas City, Missouri city limits.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Out of town professional ball players have it written into their contracts that they will only get paid $1 for any game in KC.  I think the city lawyers are still fighting that one.[/img]

View Quote

Did not know that. That's awesome, good for them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you're working in KC, you're stuck with the 1% earnings tax as others have said.  KCMO 'could' have had the Speedway and all of the other stuff associated with it (i.e. Cabelas, etc.), but passed on it....and all the tax dollars went to KCK.

IMHO opinion, live north of the river, either in Platte or Play County.  If you live near I-29 and Barry Road (Platte County) in KC, you're close to all kinds of places to eat and shop, just a few minutes from KCI and not too far from downtown.   If at some point you're able to switch jobs and get out of the city limits of KCMO, there are alot of nice places to live that are not technically in KC, but right near everything, so you'll be free of giving up 1% of your paycheck....plus get BETTER services (i.e. better snow removal, actual/faster police response, etc.).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in midtown/downtown and I love it down here, I am young and single though. Like has been said if you enjoy nightlife its a good part of town, crime isn't really that big of a concern until you start to get east of Gillham road or you don't pay attention to your surroundings. I walk to the bars every time I go and have never had a problem or been worried about it. It really is a fun part of town with a lot of great restaurants to go to. My only problem is there aren't any ranges close besides the bullet hole and fuck that place.

The earnings tax sucks, but I make due and it isn't too incredibly bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top