Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 11:58:57 PM EDT
Yes, the big sucker in Sedalia every year. This weekend, We did concessions for the guy that handles the 4 day tractor pull. He has offered us a spot at the fair. Said he can promise me a spot if I want it. Now, rent would be close to 3,000 based upon what I can find online.

Do you know anybody that does this at this event? What do they gross? How crazy is it? 350,000 people over 11 days is a crazy thought for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Never been to one, but had no idea it was that big.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never been to one, but had no idea it was that big.
View Quote

Kentucky averages 550k people each year. I'd have to think most any place would gross 20k over 11 days. I'd be guessing closer to 25k even for a small place
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a guy who was setting up there.  I'm not sure if he still does it or about the details but I believe he was setting up like 5-6 trailers.  I'll talk to him and see what kind of info I can get out of him.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I can honestly tell you that 28 beers is exactly the amout it takes to run around the campground in a man-thiong after watching Hank Jr, BUT.... not sure on the sellin' shit. I'm a buyer.

Yes, I will be there this year to see Def Leppard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Location, location, location!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know a guy who was setting up there.  I'm not sure if he still does it or about the details but I believe he was setting up like 5-6 trailers.  I'll talk to him and see what kind of info I can get out of him.
View Quote

Thanks Adam
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've lived in Sedalia all of my life and go to the Fair every year.
A lot of the concession stands are operated by the same people for decades so I imagine that they are pretty profitable.
I've known several people that would take vacation from their full time job to work the Fair each year.
As far as how much they make from the Fair I don't know and don't feel right in asking them.
In the past I 've heard a number of vendors complaining that the Fair made them buy their food supplies from one designated supplier but I don't know if that is still the case.
If you would be selling BBQ and smoked meats I would think that you would do good with your main competition being the Mo. Cattlemen's concession,the Pork Producers,and the Poultry House...all of them being west of the Grandstand on either side of beer garden row and all in permanent structures.
I would look at what the three that I named offer and come up with something a bit different than theirs,also finding a place to sit and eat is difficult so have selections that people can eat one-handed as they walk around and have plenty of napkins with wet-wipes being a big plus for eating BBQ while strolling around.
If you are planning on smoking meat at your stand then you should probably check with the Fair about any requirements or restrictions as the vendor spaces are pretty cramped.

Good luck and I hope to see you there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure you let us know if this is a go.  To try your BBQ, would be reason enough to go to the fair.  I've never been.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you're telling me all I need for a good show is a 30 pack?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can honestly tell you that 28 beers is exactly the amout it takes to run around the campground in a man-thiong after watching Hank Jr, BUT.... not sure on the sellin' shit. I'm a buyer.

Yes, I will be there this year to see Def Leppard.

So you're telling me all I need for a good show is a 30 pack?

Yea...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, the big sucker in Sedalia every year. This weekend, We did concessions for the guy that handles the 4 day tractor pull. He has offered us a spot at the fair. Said he can promise me a spot if I want it. Now, rent would be close to 3,000 based upon what I can find online.

Do you know anybody that does this at this event? What do they gross? How crazy is it? 350,000 people over 11 days is a crazy thought for me.
View Quote

I'd want to know where the spot is but, generally, the concessions do a pretty good business at the fair.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Born and raised in Sedalia and now teach a shop class in the Sedalia 200 district I work  as security for one of the bars/food places at the fair.  It is very difficult to get a spot usually, comes with connections and can be very political. I know a lot of people that have them and they do very well. Weather can really dick it up for you, some years the only place making money is the tow company that has the contract to pull out stuck vehicles and campers. The place I worked pulled in $5-7k some nights.

ETA: The guy you worked with is he a promoter or employee of the fair grounds?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
He's the guy in charge of the tractor pulls.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
This weekend they're having the first End of the Trail festival on the fairgrounds. I was out there yesterday and was surprised at the amount of activity...it was like a mid-weekday at the State Fair minus the midway.
You might want to think about setting up for the next one as they're wanting this to become an annual event. Three days,Friday,Saturday,and Sunday.
I didn't see any of the beer gardens open but quite a few of the usual concession trailers were there. I would think that something frontierish/cowboyish like buffalo burgers and the like would do real good as long as prices can be competitive.Have sasparilla sody-pop and some Chuckwagon Fried Taters with buffalo chilli on them and I think you would give the corndogs some real competition.

If you decide to do this and need a hand setting up PM me and I'll be happy to help if I'm able.

Oh,I did see that someone had a smoker on a trailer set up near the gate into the grandstand but I didn't see what they were serving but apparently smokers are OK for this event.

I don't think that this event is put on by the State but instead by the Trails End committee.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've lived in Sedalia since 2008 and also wondered about this.  I've been to the fair every year since then as well and always figured they must make pretty good coin.  

Also I think the fellow Sedalia natives here need to meet up sometime, maybe do some shooting or something.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This weekend they're having the first End of the Trail festival on the fairgrounds. I was out there yesterday and was surprised at the amount of activity...it was like a mid-weekday at the State Fair minus the midway.
You might want to think about setting up for the next one as they're wanting this to become an annual event. Three days,Friday,Saturday,and Sunday.
I didn't see any of the beer gardens open but quite a few of the usual concession trailers were there. I would think that something frontierish/cowboyish like buffalo burgers and the like would do real good as long as prices can be competitive.Have sasparilla sody-pop and some Chuckwagon Fried Taters with buffalo chilli on them and I think you would give the corndogs some real competition.

If you decide to do this and need a hand setting up PM me and I'll be happy to help if I'm able.

Oh,I did see that someone had a smoker on a trailer set up near the gate into the grandstand but I didn't see what they were serving but apparently smokers are OK for this event.

I don't think that this event is put on by the State but instead by the Trails End committee.
View Quote

Will look into this event for sure. I'm trying to get the concessions firmly rooted
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds good. Keep us informed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've lived in Sedalia since 2008 and also wondered about this.  I've been to the fair every year since then as well and always figured they must make pretty good coin.  

Also I think the fellow Sedalia natives here need to meet up sometime, maybe do some shooting or something.
View Quote

That sounds like a pretty good idea there are quite a few guys on here from Sedalia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top