Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 10:48:44 AM EDT
I'm kicking around trading a guy for his 50 ae upper. I have a run of the mill 5.56 pistol upper to trade. We've came to terms on a trade, but. I think he's trying to feed me a line bull. Says it's a tromix upper. The tromix sledgehammer had stainless barrels.  This is black. I really don't care as long as it's reliable and fairly accurate. I would probably hunt with it? Don't need another deer gun, but it sounds cool. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a 458 from Wilson or TeppoJetsu.... Or even RRA.

I bet you will be happier.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm kicking around trading a guy for his 50 ae upper. I have a run of the mill 5.56 pistol upper to trade. We've came to terms on a trade, but. I think he's trying to feed me a line bull. Says it's a tromix upper. The tromix sledgehammer had stainless barrels.  This is black. I really don't care as long as it's reliable and fairly accurate. I would probably hunt with it? Don't need another deer gun, but it sounds cool. What do you guys think?
View Quote

I know nothing of the upper, but I do know you can black oxide stainless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I met up with the guy and it was junk!! His pics looked ok. I think if I go that route I'll go 450 bushmaster as I wanted to anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I met up with the guy and it was junk!! His pics looked ok. I think if I go that route I'll go 450 bushmaster as I wanted to anyway.
View Quote

Questions,

Do you reload?

Which one can you buy ammo more readily for??? Whats it cost?  

Will 450Bs work in regular AR mags....

What are the effective ranges or 458 and 450???

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll just throw this out there....

458 Socom uses standard AR mags. Seven rounds in a 20 rounder and 13(?) in a 30 rounder.

There are at least two large manufacturers supporting it including RRA, Wilson Combat and the smaller custom builder Teppo Jetsu.

Starline makes brass for it which is fairly economical.

Bullet weight range is all the way from 185 gr. to over 600...... Wilson even makes a purpose built suppressor for it.

Ballistics with multiple bullet weights can be made to exactly mimic 45-70 loads, allowing the use of ladder sights if you are so inclined (Just a side note).

The 450 is basically a one trick pony.

50 Beowulf is very cool, but doesn't seem to have the long term support I see for the 458.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

458 Socom uses standard AR mags. Seven rounds in a 20 rounder and 13(?) in a 30 rounder.

There are at least two large manufacturers supporting it including RRA, Wilson Combat and the smaller custom builder Teppo Jetsu.

Bullet weight range is all the way from 185 gr. to over 600...... Wilson even makes a purpose built suppressor for it.

Ballistics with multiple bullet weights can be made to exactly mimic 45-70 loads, allowing the use of ladder sights if you are so inclined (Just a side note).

50 Beowulf is very cool, but doesn't seem to have the long term support I see for the 458.
View Quote

^This.    I did a bunch of research 7-8 years ago before I bought my 458.   It's the best choice if your going with a big bore AR.   Yes, it uses standard mags.  Best of all is the load range, you can duplicate 45-70 loads or load it subsonic with 500-600 grain bullets.

The downside - if you want to shoot it much you either have to handload for it or sell cocaine in order to afford factory ammo.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
^This.    I did a bunch of research 7-8 years ago before I bought my 458.   It's the best choice if your going with a big bore AR.   Yes, it uses standard mags.  Best of all is the load range, you can duplicate 45-70 loads or load it subsonic with 500-600 grain bullets.

The downside - if you want to shoot it much you either have to handload for it or sell cocaine in order to afford factory ammo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, that was my same conclusion, but sometimes folks need to see good reasons to support your opinion...

I keep toying around with the idea of parting together a Big Bore AR, just for fun....  Every time I think about it, all things lead me to .458 Socom...

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking forward to hearing the Wilson 458 upper with their suppressor this year.  I picked up one of their suppressors for a local customer.  We had to wait about a year before they got it manufactured and transferred to us.  Should be a pretty fun suppressed package.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I do reload. How's the availability of bullets for the .458? I've never noticed bullets at any of the reloading stores I've went to. Although I will say I haven't really looked for them either. That's kinda why I thought 450. Those bullets are easy to find.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I do reload. How's the availability of bullets for the .458? I've never noticed bullets at any of the reloading stores I've went to. Although I will say I haven't really looked for them either. That's kinda why I thought 450. Those bullets are easy to find.
View Quote

Tons of bullets in .458, including some very modern designs with offerings from Barnes and Lehigh to name a couple.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm looking forward to hearing the Wilson 458 upper with their suppressor this year.  I picked up one of their suppressors for a local customer.  We had to wait about a year before they got it manufactured and transferred to us.  Should be a pretty fun suppressed package.
View Quote

How is the mounting system in your opinion?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
They use a suppressor that threads onto the rear of the MB mount.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bullet selection is HUGE.

There's tons of info here.

http://458socomforums.com/

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 458 socom and a 50 beowulf . the 458 brass is more expensive than the 50 beo brass but the 458 is a low pressure round and will last for ever . bullets for the 50 beowulf are cheaper but the 458 socom has a better selection.
you can come close to 45/70 ballisitics with a 458 socom but to match a modern 45/ 70 no dice close but no cigar .  I prefer my 458 socom over my 50 because out of all the rifles I own from 5.56 all the way up through the wulf the 458 socom is the most accurate of all plus the bullets being compatible with 45/70 gives you a good excuse to buy a lever gun .

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a 458 socom and a 50 beowulf . the 458 brass is more expensive than the 50 beo brass but the 458 is a low pressure round and will last for ever . bullets for the 50 beowulf are cheaper but the 458 socom has a better selection.
you can come close to 45/70 ballisitics with a 458 socom but to match a modern 45/ 70 no dice close but no cigar .  I prefer my 458 socom over my 50 because out of all the rifles I own from 5.56 all the way up through the wulf the 458 socom is the most accurate of all plus the bullets being compatible with 45/70 gives you a good excuse to buy a lever gun .

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/jwb47/media/DSC_0003_zpsaf19d04e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/jwb47/DSC_0003_zpsaf19d04e.jpg</a>
View Quote

Your logic is sound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top