Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2015 1:16:21 PM EDT
Finally got my lower back, so I'm on the hunt for the upper I want at this time. (Or, what I 'think' I want)

Here's my list of components so far.  I was wanting to get the opinions of the local guys instead of asking in G.D.

Barrel
Upper
Glass Block Doesn't have to be this one, but something like this.  I want it to be steel, though.

That's the major pieces, short of a hand guard.  After some research, I feel I'd most like an ALG EMR v2, but I'm not sure which length to get.  I would like the gas block to be underneath the hand guard, but I don't know if the 13" would be long enough or if I should get the 15".  I just want the gas block covered, it doesn't have to be too much further forward.  I wouldn't mind finding comparison pictures of 18" barrels with 13" and 15" guards to get an idea of the look.

I'm undecided on BCG, as it will probably have to wait a while.  I should be able to get all the other parts to finish the upper but the BCG, unless I get a super cheap one.

Anybody have any hints, helpful info, pics, or chastisement for me?  

Thanks,
Curt/j20owner

P.S.: Oh, if anyone local to KC area has an upper vice block that clamps the receiver to make putting the barrel/nut on safer, I would like to borrow that if possible once I have parts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll get a pic up of my current SPR build. I have a 12" that covers all but maybe 1/4 inch of the gas block. I'm running an adjustable though, so I need to get to it easily. 13" and 15" will cover the gas block. It all depends on how far you want the hand guard to extend. I think 15" is a bit too long. Others like it.
I don't know whose BBL blanks Integrity are using or even who is doing the finishing on them. I haven't heard of them before. It looks to be a good barrel. I don't know what your budget is, but for about $125 more you could get a WOA, Wilson, or Rainier match. All of those companies have really good reputations for accurate barrels.
Why are you going billet over forged? Both are fine options, I'm just curious as to any reasons why people choose one over another.
Have fun with the build, I'm sure it will be a fine rifle in the end. I have a vice block, but I'm on the other side of the state.
ETA Here it is.
Noveske 18" SPR bbl, VLTOR MUR, BCM Mod 4 CH, NiB BCG from Jeff at MOA, 12" DD MFR rail, Syrac Gen
II adjustable gas block (for running suppressed), Vortex Viper
2.5-10x32, Harris BRM-S on ADM QD mount. I'm waiting on the lower to
arrive. It will have a Magpul PRS and Geissele SSA put on it.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
My budget being what it is, I'm going to try the cheap barrel. If it's crappy, I'll save up for something that has a better reputation.
I think based on your pictures, I'll go with the 13" alg.

As for the billet upper, I dunno. They have the barrel I'm interested in and a put together upper. I have no idea if one is better than the other.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Forged is stronger. Billet can be machined into fancy things. Both work, one is just way more expensive.

I would still encourage you to save up your money for a better barrel. I don't think you'll regret it. I was told long ago "buy right, buy once." I'd keep your eye on the EE. A WOA SPR just sold a last week for $225.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's something I didn't even think about Chapman! Bit of an embarrassing moment. It's Noveske's intermediate length, which is in between mid and rifle.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
It's about 1.5" shorter than RL.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm probably going to still get the cheap barrel. It may not be the best shooter but someone has to be the first. I was planning on really testing it out with various loads. Good thing on noticing the shorter gas system. That would have disappointed me more, lol. I know I'll be taking a gamble on that barrel, but my gut says rifle gas. At this point another $100 is the difference between a shooter and something I'll have to wait quite a bit longer to shoot.

SAA does have a gored upper for $10 less.

Haha, my phone switched forged with gored......
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good deal

When you get all that stuff, make sure to post pics! I'm very curious to see how this stuff performs. I wish I could help with the assembly part, but I'm halfway across the state
View Quote

Me too. It will be a fun rifle no matter what.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I caught a Black Friday sale from Rainier and bought a Rainier Ultramatch 18" barrel for a SPR build, so this thread really interests me.  I haven't bought anything else yet, but I know I want an adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed, and a rail that will make adjusting it easy, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been doing more looking.  I was on Primary arms website and they have several adjustable gas blocks, a couple that I would consider trying.  Others there were too pricey for my taste.

I was also wanting to ask about BCG, if anyone wanted to share their thoughts.  SAA has a few that interest me.  For the super cheap(read=I can get it running quicker) I could go with this.  For $25 more I can get this Nickel Boron BCG.  If my memory is correct, only real difference between an AR15 BCG and a M16 BCG is weight.  I'm guessing the nickel is worth the extra $25?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a nickel boron one in my 300 blackout, and I really like it.  It's much easier to clean, and I only shoot it suppressed so it gets really dirty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I caught a Black Friday sale from Rainier and bought a Rainier Ultramatch 18" barrel for a SPR build, so this thread really interests me.  I haven't bought anything else yet, but I know I want an adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed, and a rail that will make adjusting it easy, any suggestions?
View Quote

I run the Syrac on my 300 SBR and on this SPR upper. They work really well. Basically 2-3 clicks for running suppressed, and back 2-3 clicks when not.

I wasn't mounting anything but the bipod on my upper so I really didn't need a quad rail. That's why I went with the MFR. Saves weight on an already heavy rifle. You have to be careful which gas block you get. Some adjust from the front and others from the side. If you run a hand guard over your gas block, you may need to modify it in order to get to the side adjustment screw. I know Noveske makes a rail specifically with a cutout in order to run their switchback gas block.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IIRC, Rainier makes mid, intermediate, and rifle length gas. Which length did you get?

The Syrac adjustables are awesome gas blocks, and when used on rifle-length system with any 13" rail, the front half of the gas block is exposed, and easy to get to the adjustments. It doesn't look as cool as a completely hidden gas block, but way more accessible
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, Rainier makes mid, intermediate, and rifle length gas. Which length did you get?

The Syrac adjustables are awesome gas blocks, and when used on rifle-length system with any 13" rail, the front half of the gas block is exposed, and easy to get to the adjustments. It doesn't look as cool as a completely hidden gas block, but way more accessible

It's the SPR barrel, it has a rifle length gas system.  I like the Syrac, but I wish it didn't require the use of an allen to change the setting
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Curt, this is KOOLmike from sksboards, you're welcome to use my vise block. I have the kind where you pin the upper to it and then there's a cap that goes over the flattop rail and you clamp the whole thing in a vise. Works great.. Anyway, IM me if you need it and we can exchange contact info.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Ah, cool deal, mike. I think I'm ordering my barrel today.

I wasn't planning on getting an adjustable gas block, just remembered seeing some on primary's site.

Oh yeah, where's the unicycle?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ah, cool deal, mike. I think I'm ordering my barrel today.

I wasn't planning on getting an adjustable gas block, just remembered seeing some on primary's site.

Oh yeah, where's the unicycle?
View Quote

Oh, I still have the uni, just not as much time to ride anymore. My son is carrying on the tradition, though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Ordered the upper, gas tube, gas block, and flash hider from SAA. Hopefully order the barrel and hand guard next week or two.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Think I'm changing my mind on the barrel.  Leaning towards a Faxon. 18" Socom.  Seems like they've quickly gained a loyal following.  Now if I'd just have the money and they'd have the barrel....
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm about to list a 16" midlength 1/7 twist barrel. Never shot or installed I'd let it go 115 shipped. It's off brand as well. Let me know. I'm in Lebanon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the offer wheelchairman, but I'm dead set on an 18".

Eric, seeing as how at this juncture I'm running a mil-spec trigger and a $40 scope (if I can find it) I think either one of those barrels fits my budget.  But I understand your point. This adventure is really about getting a running ar back in the stable. One I'm able to shoot it, I'll try to work towards improving it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Kind of forgot to update this.....

I picked up a forged upper, gas tube, gas block, and flash hider from SAA.  I then waited a while and got the 18" Faxon barrel I linked to earlier.  I picked it up from AIM Surplus, which means it came with a 'pinned' gas block, so now I've got a start on parts for my 'next' build.  Don't tell the wife.  I also go one of AIM's nitrided bolts to go with the barrel.  Just waiting on funds to pick up the ALG EMRv2 in 15" black.  I'll post pics once I get it together and results once I shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Another update.  Won a Savage .17hmr through Ducks Unlimited. Sold that sucker and bought an ALG EMR V2 15".  As soon as it gets here, hopefully DethroyMAK will help me put the pieces together and I'll be back to shooting an AR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Another update.  Won a Savage .17hmr through Ducks Unlimited. Sold that sucker and bought an ALG EMR V2 15".  As soon as it gets here, hopefully DethroyMAK will help me put the pieces together and I'll be back to shooting an AR.
View Quote

Yep I got everything we need, dude.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Think I'm changing my mind on the barrel.  Leaning towards a Faxon. 18" Socom.  Seems like they've quickly gained a loyal following.  Now if I'd just have the money and they'd have the barrel....
View Quote

Woohoo!

We have plenty in stock so enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Woohoo!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woohoo!

I've had the barrel for close to a month.  Can't wait to get it together.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Hand guard is here.  Mocked it all up today at lunch and I think it will fill the bill nicely.  DethroyMAK, I'll be contacting you!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, it's done.  Big, big thank you to DetrhoyMAK for letting me visit, build, and talk AR.  Also, thanks for the mags and water.  Hope to shoot it next weekend!

SAA Upper
AIM Surplus Nitrided BCG
Faxon 18" rifle gas 'socom' profile 5.56 1-8" twist
Pinned low pro gas block
ALG EMR V2 15"
A2 flash hider
Global Tactical lower
standard LPK
A2 fixed stock and pistol grip

I think that's all for now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
looks good, now shoot it!
View Quote

Nice use of an ALG rail!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Nathan, I noticed after assembly that the caliber and twist roll mark are both visible at the end of the hand guard.  I thought that was pretty sweet.

BTW, was cruising in Kansas(swim suit shopping for the missus) and stopped at a DIck's.  They had Federal American Eagle 62gr FMJ(green tips, yes) for $50/150 rounds. I bought two boxes.  One day only sale.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nathan, I noticed after assembly that the caliber and twist roll mark are both visible at the end of the hand guard.  I thought that was pretty sweet.

BTW, was cruising in Kansas(swim suit shopping for the missus) and stopped at a DIck's.  They had Federal American Eagle 62gr FMJ(green tips, yes) for $50/150 rounds. I bought two boxes.  One day only sale.
View Quote

It wasn't purposeful, but very happy to see how it worked out. We mark all our barrels in the same place in front of the gas block journal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#39]
IT WORKS!!!

50m with a CHEAP 1x BSA red dot using M855 bulk.....  Now I just need a better optic and mount, better trigger, good hand loads, bipod mount, different flash hider, suppressor.........

Thanks again for the help and tips and BIG THANK YOU to DetrhoyMAK for helping me piece it together!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top