Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 11:14:14 AM EDT
I was reading about body armor the other day and came across some interesting level III AR500 coated rifle plates.  Looks like good stuff.  Anyone have any experience with AR500 Armor?

http://www.ar500armor.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlwlKEeJ0vU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkJM1elAyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5woLeZ6hM

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have got a front and back curved shooters cut in a carrier.  It is a little heavy, but not too bad.  It will take a lot of hits with no deformation, but spalling is an issue.  They have, however come out with a bag that weighs less than a pound that the plate will fit in to prevent spalling.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine from thetargetman. They've got a rubber spall liner that's pretty multi-hit effective. I got the shooter's cut curved plates. I keep the reloads and other junk on a belt, which makes the PC pretty reasonable to move around in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
the only thing I would worry about with ar500 armor is richotte's off of it.  my understanding of rifle plates is that they will absorb the bullet so that it won't bounce and hit something that doesn't have armor on it (say foot, arm, face, etc).
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the only thing I would worry about with ar500 armor is richotte's off of it.  my understanding of rifle plates is that they will absorb the bullet so that it won't bounce and hit something that doesn't have armor on it (say foot, arm, face, etc).
View Quote
That 1st video the OP posted, covers that as far as I can tell...

I'm looking at getting a set of these too...  Still reading up, before I drop the coin...    Gonna needs plates the size of a hood to cover my fat azz....

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
EraThr3 has some nice AR500 steel plates for around $200/pr (depending on size).
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya I am not able to watch the vids right now.  Replacing asa's at work and something it's wrong with the new ips system that is blocking them
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The Beer Slayer had a big thread where they did a bunch of testing.  Can't find it.  I got in on a group buy w/SKD for side plates.  I'm looking at

these
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the shooters cut plates & did the diy bedliner. Been good for 2 years now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some Target Man plate armor.

I don't really have anything to say about it because I don't wear them except for when I'm messing with my gear. I've probably literally only worn all my shit for a total of about 1 hour over the last 2-3 years lol.

It was kind of an impulse buy, but I'm really glad I have the armor around just encase. The plates were cheap and my carrier is a very minimalist set up.

I guess I'm happy with it even tho it mostly collects dust
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched some of the videos of the target man armor and compared them to the AR500 Armor videos and looked like the bed liner starts to break up quickly after a few shots and splatter on the target man armor. Anyone else notice this?  Is this common or is it that the AR500 Armor bed liner is just applied better to allow it to take multiple hits without the liner failing?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I watched some of the videos of the target man armor and compared them to the AR500 Armor videos and looked like the bed liner starts to break up quickly after a few shots and splatter on the target man armor. Anyone else notice this?  Is this common or is it that the AR500 Armor bed liner is just applied better to allow it to take multiple hits without the liner failing?
View Quote

So... after six rounds of 9mm that were completely captured, three rounds of 5.56 were able to send a tiny bit of frag that weren't even able to penetrate cardboard? And you're concerned about that?

Literally a dozen rounds, and no significant frag. I call that successful.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]
link in GD about the Highcom plates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
It's too heavy to be useful... Mostly.

There is some stuff called Bainite that can be useful in very thin plates IE: light.

My personal recommendation is to buy soft armor first. If the SHTF you are going to look like a high value target if you are up armored. Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is some stuff called Bainite that can be useful in very thin plates IE: light.

My personal recommendation is to buy soft armor first. If the SHTF you are going to look like a high value target if you are up armored. Just an opinion.
View Quote

That was going to be my next question... If Level IIIA soft body armor will stop up to 240gr .44 mag @ 1732fps, wouldn't it also stand up pretty well to 5.56 or 5.45 rounds?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
NO!

Sectional density and bullet speeds are what make rifle rounds penetrate so much better.  Pistol bullets are comparatively fat and slow.  Soft armor works by catching the bullets using materials that stretch enough to absorb the impact without separating enough to let the fat bullets get between the woven thread.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was going to be my next question... If Level IIIA soft body armor will stop up to 240gr .44 mag @ 1732fps, wouldn't it also stand up pretty well to 5.56 or 5.45 rounds?
NO!

Sectional density and bullet speeds are what make rifle rounds penetrate so much better.  Pistol bullets are comparatively fat and slow.  Soft armor works by catching the bullets using materials that stretch enough to absorb the impact without separating enough to let the fat bullets get between the woven thread.

Confirmed... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pQbGohzFD8

Not only through the front, but through the torso and the back of the vest too!

In fact, level 3 steel plate with level 3A soft plate also failed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZ53ber3YE
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The test on this level IV look good for multiple hits of 5.56mm, 7.62x39, 7.62x51.  Price is good.  The plates are a bit thicker and are around 7.2 lbs each.  I need to try one out to see what it would be like to wear it for several hours.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The test on this level IV look good for multiple hits of 5.56mm, 7.62x39, 7.62x51.  Price is good.  The plates are a bit thicker and are around 7.2 lbs each.  I need to try one out to see what it would be like to wear it for several hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get one, it's the cost low enough to throw one away?  If so I would love to see one surrounded with a sheet rock box and shout with a 3 rnd burst of 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]
If we can get everyone to chip in a few $ we can have a group test with a few burst of your favorite.

Quoted:

If you get one, it's the cost low enough to throw one away?  If so I would love to see one surrounded with a sheet rock box and shout with a 3 rnd burst of 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If we can get everyone to chip in a few $ we can have a group test with a few burst of your favorite.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I thought these were more ar500 plates.  I looked on the site and saw them and assumed that is what ppl were talking about.  After reading more of the thread I see I was wrong.  I would still chip in some though.  Plus I could get free sheetrock from work
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hmmm, Level 3 is supposed to stop 5.56.  However M193 is among the most difficult non-AP rifle rounds to stop especially at close distances where the velocity is still very high.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirmed... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pQbGohzFD8

Not only through the front, but through the torso and the back of the vest too!

In fact, level 3 steel plate with level 3A soft plate also failed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZ53ber3YE
Hmmm, Level 3 is supposed to stop 5.56.  However M193 is among the most difficult non-AP rifle rounds to stop especially at close distances where the velocity is still very high.

Nope, Eric. Level III is rated to stop 7.62x51mm, not 5.56mm. Some of the higher-tech AR500 plates WILL stop M193, but they use an even harder steel than actual AR500. And it gets pretty iffy, depending heavily on barrel length and distance.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#24]
We could test either or both of them depending on interest and funds.

Quoted:

Actually I thought these were more ar500 plates.  I looked on the site and saw them and assumed that is what ppl were talking about.  After reading more of the thread I see I was wrong.  I would still chip in some though.  Plus I could get free sheetrock from work
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol I am tempted to get in on this.

Actually, I would even pick up some ceramic to test if anybody wanted to chip in. Wouldn't be able to make it happen until the (hopefully) fall shoot if we have one. :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I have front and side ar500 plates coated with bed liner in a banshee carrier. Its pretty fucking heavy

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have a recommendation on a manufacturer and model for a good plate carrier?  I see a lot of options out there but many look similar but it is difficult to determine the quality.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Anyone have a recommendation on a manufacturer and model for a good plate carrier?  I see a lot of options out there but many look similar but it is difficult to determine the quality.
View Quote
I really like the HSGI stuff, But my plates have not came in yet...  

I ordered a set of Targetman's  Advanced Triple Curve™ (ATC) Spartan AR500 armor

http://www.thetargetman.com/product/2-triple-curve-atc-spartan-ar500-armor/

Also ordered the Trauma pads that go under them...

Who knows when they'll come in...
Also like some of SKDs stuff...
Some of the brands get way to pricey for my civilian budget...

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
$126 per plate with the discount code for level IV that can also stop M193, M855, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 is hard to beat.  Time to get them on order.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Any other recommendations on plate carriers?  I have been looking at the banshee carrier, the HSGI and the SKD so far.  Any feedback on these:

Wasatch Plate Carrier - HSGI

Banshee Plate Carrier - MultiCam

Let me know what carrier you are using and what you like and dislike about it.

Quoted:

I ordered a set of Targetman's  Advanced Triple Curve™ (ATC) Spartan AR500 armor

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I like my Banshee. Roll around in the dirt and it stays put. Dunno what else to say about it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I've watched plates and soft armor for sale but everytime it seems like they won't sell it to you unless you can prove you are MIL or LEO.  Is there some deal or something with body armor and if so how are you guys able to get around it.  Total noob question I know.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any other recommendations on plate carriers?  I have been looking at the banshee carrier, the HSGI and the SKD so far.  Any feedback on these:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a PIG plate carrier from SKD. I like it. If you get one you will appreciate the foam pontoons that go on the shoulder straps. Mine is OD green and i bought one of the 3 mag carriers they also make to go along with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Level 3 armor has been shown not to stop m193 from penetrating.
Here is a new video from 10mm where the AR500 Level 3+ does stop m193 at 7 yds from a 22 inch bolt action rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1734414_Level_III__AR500_Armor_vs_m193___7_Yards.html

I wound up buying Level 4 ceramic plates from  the Target Man.

Based on the video above, the plates weigh about the same. However my plates stop higher velocity ammunition and cost more.

I wouldnt have an issue with level 3+ armor that legitimately stopped m193, m855, and 7.62x39 since those are the most common threats you're likely to encounter.
30.06 AP, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I ordered mine the other day and only had to prove I was a US citizen or LE or military.  I sent them a copy of my passport.  They will be shipping my ceramic plates by the end of the week.

Now I just need to find a plate carrier that I like.

Quoted:
I've watched plates and soft armor for sale but everytime it seems like they won't sell it to you unless you can prove you are MIL or LEO.  Is there some deal or something with body armor and if so how are you guys able to get around it.  Total noob question I know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I ordered mine the other day and only had to prove I was a US citizen or LE or military.  I sent them a copy of my passport.  They will be shipping my ceramic plates by the end of the week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My plates from the Target Man came with a Condor plate carrier.

Not bad.

Not great, but not bad.

The biggest issue for me was the on/off procedure.

On:
Rip open the front flap consisting of 18 square inches of velcro.
Make amazing amounts of noise while doing so.
Swear repeatedly while doing so.
When front flap is open and you have exposed the dual 9 inch square cummerbund flaps which are made of the same ridiculously strong and noisy velcro.
Fight with front flaps for an additional minute or two.
Once those are free, you may put on your plate carrier.
Then line up the cummerbund flaps, and then place the front flap back over the cummerbund.

Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit....

But it took forever to put on and take off. Since I bought my plates with the concept of possibly needing to get them on and off in a hurry, (Active shooter(s), get em on. Get shot in the process of engaging the active shooter(s), get em off quickly for medical treatment.).

I went with the First Spear retro fit cummberbund.
Its expensive.
It's absolutely fucking worth every penny.

Both SKD and First Spear are here in Missouri on the St Louis side. I can state from experience that First Spear guys and girls were more than happy to help me out and show me the ins and outs of rifle plates and carriers. This was nice because even though I was an infantry Marine in the 90's and I'm now a cop, I had no idea what the hell I was doing with this stuff.

It's not particularly complicated, but there are things I just didnt get....until they took the time to show me how to properly adjust this and that, etc....

First Spear makes their own carriers too....but dear sweet Jesus are they expensive.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Hit the EE.... Saw a couple new Banshees for $150 shipped.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Not bad.

Not great, but not bad.

On:

When front flap is open and you have exposed the dual 9 inch square cummerbund flaps which are made of the same ridiculously strong and noisy velcro.

Then line up the cummerbund flaps, and then place the front flap back over the cummerbund.

But it took forever to put on and take off. Since I bought my plates with the concept of possibly needing to get them on and off in a hurry, (Active shooter(s), get em on. Get shot in the process of engaging the active shooter(s), get em off quickly for medical treatment.).

Its expensive.

Both SKD and First Spear are here in Missouri on the St Louis side. I can state from experience that First Spear guys and girls were more than happy to help me out and show me the ins and outs of rifle plates and carriers. This was nice because even though I was an infantry Marine in the 90's and I'm now a cop, I had no idea what the hell I was doing with this stuff.

It's not particularly complicated, but there are things I just didnt get....until they took the time to show me how to properly adjust this and that, etc....

First Spear makes their own carriers too....but dear sweet Jesus are they expensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bad.

Not great, but not bad.

On:

Its expensive.

I did not know either of them were in Mo.... Good to know...  I like to support local folks when and if I can...

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#40]
SUBMG,  I just went to an armor DEMO last week. They had some new panels they were demoing. About 1/4th the weight of ceramics and suppose to stop multiple rounds of 7.61x51mm. They shot 3 rounds from an AK at about 10 yards during the demo and it stopped that. I can look up the info they supplied if you like.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I would like to hear more on these.  Do they have any videos?

Quoted:
SUBMG,  I just went to an armor DEMO last week. They had some new panels they were demoing. About 1/4th the weight of ceramics and suppose to stop multiple rounds of 7.61x51mm. They shot 3 rounds from an AK at about 10 yards during the demo and it stopped that. I can look up the info they supplied if you like.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I will look on the EE for the banshee and check out the SKD carriers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will look on the EE for the banshee and check out the SKD carriers.
View Quote

I also got my banshee from SKD. Wife got a Mayflower plate carrier, but it didn't fit her, uh, feminine anatomy. SKD exchanged it for a larger size, no hassle, no trouble.

ETA: I don't like the Mayflower. The straps rub on both sides of your neck. Doesn't bother the wife.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I received the following 10x12 4SAS-7 level IV multi curve shooters cut plates from HighCom today.  

They look great but felt heavy at first.  I checked them on the scale and they are 7.2 lbs which matches specs.  You got to be in good shape to run and gun with these on :-)

http://highcomsecurity.com/collections/plates/products/guardian-4sas-7?variant=361422133
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#45]
got 2 questions:
-I know the highcom plates say they are stand alone but do you still need soft backers on them (to absorb energy from the plate)?
-the banshee that skd offers http://www.skdtac.com/Shellback-Banshee-Plate-Carrier-p/shb.125.htm in one place says that it doesn't include the side plate cummerbund but in another part it says it does.  does it or doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I read that as they are stand alone (do not need additional protection) to meet level III and IIIA.  A Trauma Pad may still be a good idea depending if your plate carrier provides some level of decreasing back face deformation by disbursing and absorbing energy.

I would call SKD to confirm but they list it as a feature.

Features:
•Extreme versatility with several PALS web attachment points covering the front,
back and shoulders of the vest.

•Fully adjustable and padded front, back and shoulder areas.

•Two area of loop for identifiers

•Fits over soft body armor/Uniforms

•Heavy Duty bar tacking at key stress points

•Wire, antenna or hydration hose guides

•Removable Cummerbund with interior and exterior PALS for side plates-NEW

•Low Profile/ Lightweight

•Quick Release Buckle secondary securing system

•1000 Cordura

•Drag Handle- NEW

•Lifetime Warranty

•Dimensions of the Cummerbund each side that accepts soft armor: 17" x 6"

•Weight of the BANSHEE empty: 2lbs 10 oz

•Will accept up to 10x12 Level 3 and 4 ESAPI OR SIMILAR PLATES and Plate
Backers. Currently, the pockets will not accept the XL ESAPI plates.

•Now approved with the Los Angeles Police Department (L.A.P.D.)

Quoted:
got 2 questions:
-I know the highcom plates say they are stand alone but do you still need soft backers on them (to absorb energy from the plate)?
-the banshee that skd offers http://www.skdtac.com/Shellback-Banshee-Plate-Carrier-p/shb.125.htm in one place says that it doesn't include the side plate cummerbund but in another part it says it does.  does it or doesn't it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I went ahead and bought level 4 ceramics. They weren't cheap but I wanted lighter plates for on duty.  Steel being heavier would start to get unbearably heavy I think knowing what the ceramics weigh.

I'm 250lbs In full on duty battle rattle. That's with rifle, typical duty belt, and plate carrier with three mags. I'm 190 naked out of the shower.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top