Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 12:36:10 PM EDT
Watching a new reality show other day called Country Outlaws on WGN(DirecTV307) on Tuesday night. Come to find out it's from Buckner, which is just north of Independence. It's about 2 brothers, that aren't exactly choir boys and 2 brothers that are Police Officers, that keep trying to arrest them for anything.

By the time the first episode was over, I was LOL and WTF and thought they were ALL guilty.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Watching a new reality show other day called Country Outlaws on WGN(DirecTV307) on Tuesday night. Come to find out it's from Buckner, which is just north of Independence. It's about 2 brothers, that aren't exactly choir boys and 2 brothers that are Police Officers, that keep trying to arrest them for anything.

By the time the first episode was over, I was LOL and WTF and thought they were ALL guilty.

View Quote

East of Independence.

KCTV5
Buckner City Attorney Steve Mauer says that the police chief is on medical leave, and his absence has nothing to do with a reality show that paints the town as a hotbed of crime and conflict.

The show is called Outlaw Country.

It features Buckner Police Chief Mike Cook and his brother, Steve, an Independence Police Department detective, who is supposedly in town as part of a federal task force to combat crime.

“We’re embedded in small town America, literally in a war zone,” one of the show’s producers is heard saying in a voice over in a preview for the show.

The concept was laughable to the some residents.

“When I hear a war zone… maybe on Wednesday and Sunday nights when we play softball, but that’s about it,” resident Jake Ashlock said.

The police action he’s used to seeing is limited to traffic stops and speeding tickets.

“I think there’s a little bit of fantasy in there instead of reality,” resident Brittany Bauman said.

The family posse of outlaws portrayed as the Cook brothers’ nemeses didn’t ring a bell in Buckner. John and Josh Monk are portrayed by the Cook brothers in the show as “prolific criminals.”

John Monk’s tattoo shop, Revelation Tattoo, is featured prominently in the show. On the program the Cooks point to frequent quick transactions out of the shop, hint at drug activity and have a crew raid the shop with a search warrant.

Revelation Tattoo is not in Buckner. It’s in Kansas City, MO, on North Oak Trafficway. John Monk said he had signed a confidentiality agreement to be on the show so he could not comment on the legitimacy of what viewers will see.

Some people in Buckner didn’t care if the action was cooked up.

“It’s cool,” Bauman said. “Not every day do you live in a town where they’re trying to make a movie series out of.”

Others didn’t like the image it painted of the Jackson County town.

“I mean this is a pretty peaceful community,” Ashlock said. “I have children that go to school over here and I think they might perceive the town as bad, but it’s not.”

Many more residents simply dismissed the show as laughable.

Mauer says the city received $5,000 for allowing the shoot in town and that the money went into the general fund.

When asked about potential ethical issues raised by some of the violent action on screen, Mauer responded, “Obviously it’s television. It’s not real.”

“No one was on-duty when they were being filmed on the television show,” Mauer added.

He didn’t know if the chief was paid individually for his performance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
"Reality" TV.  Riveting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Reality" TV.  Riveting.
View Quote

This, the only "reality" on TV are tampon adds & Yesterday's weather report.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Reality" TV.  Riveting.

That reminds me, have you ever woke up with that not-so-fresh feeling?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
That detective is the same one that was on the episode of Gangland about the Galloping Goose. I'm not too impressed with him, he seems to like being in the lime light too much
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
What's funny is all the people I know that live in Buckner who have no idea who the Monk brothers are. And I like how they pull what looks like a pellet gun out of the air duct but then say "those M4's we found"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've stopped watching TV because of crap like this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've stopped watching TV because of crap like this.
View Quote

netflix and show box all that's needed
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:13:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Reality" TV.  Riveting.

There is no reality in tampon ads either, trust me
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#10]
One promo I saw for this show, a guy was sholdering an AK with a SIG Brace. Wonder if the ATF is gonna snatch him up...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Reality" TV.  Riveting.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Reality" TV.  Riveting.

Haha! Touche!

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That detective is the same one that was on the episode of Gangland about the Galloping Goose. I'm not too impressed with him, he seems to like being in the lime light too much
View Quote

I THOUGHT HE WAS!  Looked kind of like a tool to me but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Reality" TV.  Riveting.

Now that is freaking funny!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top