Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 9:29:46 PM EDT
If someone were to buy a firearm at a dealer and fill out the 4473, what is the normal procedure for when the address on the MO ID doesn't match where the individual lives?  I know in the past (and even once recently), this happened to me since I recently moved.  All I had to do was provide a utility bill or something to that effect with my name and current address; this was the one I also put on the 4473.  I'm asking because I was recently told that the address on the form MUST match the one on my ID, regardless of what documentation I provide to prove that I moved but am still a resident of MO.  Is this correct and have the other dealers I've bought from being doing it wrong the whole time, or is this new dealer just being extra picky?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
From form 4473a:
  Question 2. CURRENT residence address.  My add: That means the one you are living at at that point in time regardless of your government issued photo ID.  You don't want to put anything false right?
  Question 20a. Identification- "A valid government issued photo identification to the seller that contains the buyer's name, residence address, and date of birth......."
  Question 20b. Alternate Documentation- "Licensee may accept a combination of valid GOVERNMENT ISSUED  to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law.  The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee (buyer) may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's residence address."  example would be a tax document or any other government issued document.  My add: A utility bill is usually not from a government body.  A city or county trash bill, post office document showing change of address, city or county water bill would be from a "government". .....
Question 20c. Documentation for Alien Admitted to the United States Under a Nonimmigrant Visa. "See instructions for 11.1. Types of acceptable documents would include a valid hunting license lawfully issued in the United States or a letter from the U.S. Attorney General granting a waiver."
  Gun store and buyer should be able to figure it out from the definitions given on form 4473a cited above.  Hope this helps and yes the dealer can be that picky if he/she chooses to.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been in LGS and Pawn Shops that said if buyer's address didn't match the address used on 4473, the sale wasn't going to continue. No dickering. It had to match with ID.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been in LGS and Pawn Shops that said if buyer's address didn't match the address used on 4473, the sale wasn't going to continue. No dickering. It had to match with ID.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Utility bill and one other type of bill showing residency will work

NOW good question to ??   -- Armed services man with california drivers license stationed in Missouri -- uses a copy of his orders to purchase
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If someone were to buy a firearm at a dealer and fill out the 4473, what is the normal procedure for when the address on the MO ID doesn't match where the individual lives?  I know in the past (and even once recently), this happened to me since I recently moved.  All I had to do was provide a utility bill or something to that effect with my name and current address; this was the one I also put on the 4473.  I'm asking because I was recently told that the address on the form MUST match the one on my ID, regardless of what documentation I provide to prove that I moved but am still a resident of MO.  Is this correct and have the other dealers I've bought from being doing it wrong the whole time, or is this new dealer just being extra picky?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If your dealer told you that he can't sell you a gun unless your ID shows your current address, that is wrong. He can, so long as  you provide acceptable GOVERNMENT-ISSUED alternative documentation.

The relevant part of the 4473 instructions were quoted above in this thread. Next time, ask your dealer to read the instructions.

Quoted:
From form 4473a:
  Question 2. CURRENT residence address.  My add: That means the one you are living at at that point in time regardless of your government issued photo ID.  You don't want to put anything false right?
  Question 20a. Identification- "A valid government issued photo identification to the seller that contains the buyer's name, residence address, and date of birth......."
  Question 20b. Alternate Documentation- "Licensee may accept a combination of valid GOVERNMENT ISSUED  to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law.  The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee (buyer) may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's residence address."  example would be a tax document or any other government issued document.  My add: A utility bill is usually not from a government body.  A city or county trash bill, post office document showing change of address, city or county water bill would be from a "government". .....

Ironically, the ATF tells dealers that the little change of address stickers that the Department of Revenue puts on the back of driver's licenses does NOT qualify because the address information is self-generated. However, the ATF says that a Hunting/Fishing license is OK, even though Walmart will enter whatever address the customer supplies when they issue the license. Weird.

So, if your license is out of date, go to Walmart and buy a fishing license. Or, be a good citizen and keep your government issued ID current. (Papers! We must see your PAPERS!). Or, register to vote and carry your voter ID with you.

<-------- FFL (and a stickler for ID/4473 match).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If your dealer told you that he can't sell you a gun unless your ID shows your current address, that is wrong. He can, so long as  you provide acceptable GOVERNMENT-ISSUED alternative documentation.

The relevant part of the 4473 instructions were quoted above in this thread. Next time, ask your dealer to read the instructions.

Ironically, the ATF tells dealers that the little change of address stickers that the Department of Revenue puts on the back of driver's licenses does NOT qualify because the address information is self-generated. However, the ATF says that a Hunting/Fishing license is OK, even though Walmart will enter whatever address the customer supplies when they issue the license. Weird.

So, if your license is out of date, go to Walmart and buy a fishing license. Or, be a good citizen and keep your government issued ID current. (Papers! We must see your PAPERS!). Or, register to vote and carry your voter ID with you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
From form 4473a:

THIS ^
People in Missouri are the laziest when it comes to keeping their ID current.  I would bet almost half the guns I sell go to people without the current address.  Then they come back with utility bills...nope, I said Government issued, duh...   They really should know their license is no good if it isn't changed within 30 days.  Same with CCW IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

THIS ^
People in Missouri are the laziest when it comes to keeping their ID current.  I would bet almost half the guns I sell go to people without the current address.  Then they come back with utility bills...nope, I said Government issued, duh...   They really should know their license is no good if it isn't changed within 30 days.  Same with CCW IIRC.
View Quote

In fairness, I've had a lot of customers tell me that the Department of Revenue refuses to issue a replacement license and insists on providing a sticker for the back. My ATF inspectors says don't accept the stickers. I suspect what's really happening is that Revenue is telling them they have to PAY for a replacement license and they don't want to do that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In fairness, I've had a lot of customers tell me that the Department of Revenue refuses to issue a replacement license and insists on providing a sticker for the back. My ATF inspectors says don't accept the stickers. I suspect what's really happening is that Revenue is telling them they have to PAY for a replacement license and they don't want to do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS ^

You are correct, people don't want to pay for a replacement

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

THIS ^
View Quote

Now 180 days before invalid but it will cost the renewee $10 per month past the change date.

Edit: Regarding the CCW (changed in SB656)
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, I'll make a note of that change.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:32:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Go into the DMV and have them put a change of address on the back of your license.  IT'S FREE and won't take but 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go into the DMV and have them put a change of address on the back of your license.  IT'S FREE and won't take but 3 minutes.
View Quote

And the ATF inspectors specifically instruct FFL's that those stickers are NOT proof of residence. Some dealers may take them, but they're not supposed to.

You have two options:
1.) Go to the DMV and pay for a duplicate/updated license (accepting the fact that your expiration date doesn't change so you're paying full fee for less time)
2.) Bring alternative documentation with you when you buy a gun.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I had this happen a while back. I moved and the DMV gave me an address change card but it didn't work. I just went an got a new ID card for 3 dollars at the DMV and that satisfied the shop.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great..... I didnt know those change of address cards wasnt acceptable.  I was never told that.

I havent been audited yet.  What do you think they will say when they find that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Great..... I didnt know those change of address cards wasnt acceptable.  I was never told that.

I havent been audited yet.  What do you think they will say when they find that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't make a big deal about it when I had an audit last year. It was just an "Oh, by the way, don't take the stickers" sort of thing.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Actually, you can get a heritage card, which is even cheaper ($2.00), and they just ask for your current address.  We were told by an IOI that this was acceptable, since it's a state issued ID card.  Go figure...

Oh, and when I had to change the address on my driver's license (since I was getting my CCW at the time, and I figured that I should probably have something with a current address), they didn't put that sticker on the back of my license, I got that temporary paper that they printed out for me.  

Rev_Jason
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

NOW good question to ??   -- Armed services man with california drivers license stationed in Missouri -- uses a copy of his orders to purchase
View Quote

We won't take utility bills.  If the state ID and the listed address don't match it stops there.  I don't care if it's a Bodyguard .380 or a $5000 Nighthawk Custom, no match no transfer.  Also if there is an updated address sticker on the back of the license that also won't fly - the KC ATF branch said those are worthless in their eyes.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I have another question for you guys that have been in the business longer than me.

When I get a delay and the customer never returns, I just mark it as canceled and leave it at that.  And I make a note that the customer never came back.  Same way with denied (the only 2 or 3 I got).  No reason to sign it or stamp my license when the sale wasnt completed, right?

(sorry for the thread derail)
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We won't take utility bills.  If the state ID and the listed address don't match it stops there.  I don't care if it's a Bodyguard .380 or a $5000 Nighthawk Custom, no match no transfer.  Also if there is an updated address sticker on the back of the license that also won't fly - the KC ATF branch said those are worthless in their eyes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont see why your shop wouldnt take additional documentation.  I understand some forms are questionable.  But if they bring in one listed on the 4473, why run off business?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the 4473 instructions:

If the buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty acquiring a
firearm in the State where his or her permanent duty station is located, but
does not reside at his or her permanent duty station, the buyer must list both
his or her permanent duty station address and his or her residence address in
response to question 2. If you are a U.S. citizen with two States of residence,
you should list your current residence address in response to question 2
(e.g., if you are buying a firearm while staying at your weekend home in State X,
you should list your address in State X in response to question 2)
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I dont see why your shop wouldnt take additional documentation.  I understand some forms are questionable.  But if they bring in one listed on the 4473, why run off business?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's dumb. There's a box on the form for alternative documentation. Use it.

Question 20.b. Alternate Documentation:
Licensees may accept a combination
of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document
requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identifica-
tion document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee may
be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the
transferee’s residence address. This alternate documentation should be recorded
in question 20.b., with issuing authority and type of identification presented. A
combination of government-issued documents may be provided. For example, if
a U.S. citizen has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State
X, he may provide a driver’s license (showing his name, date of birth, and
photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document
(such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have another question for you guys that have been in the business longer than me.

When I get a delay and the customer never returns, I just mark it as canceled and leave it at that.  And I make a note that the customer never came back.  Same way with denied (the only 2 or 3 I got).  No reason to sign it or stamp my license when the sale wasnt completed, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

For DENY and "CANCELED", the FFL/employee who fills out Section B (customer ID part of the form) should fill in the gun information in Section D and record his name, signature and title. Note, that you do not date the form (box 36) as the gun was never transferred. DENYs go in a separate file and they will be looked at by your inspector. They'll want to see what became of the gun involved in a denied transaction.

Question 33-35 Transferor/Sellers Information:
For “denied” and “cancelled” NICS transactions, the person who completed Section B must complete Section
D, questions 33-35

Now, here's my question: What the hell is is "Canceled" NICS response? I've never had one. I don't believe this is the same as a customer never coming back to pick up a gun after getting a delay as the form lists CANCELED as a potential initial response from NICS.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#23]
If ever you can't sleep at night, the instructions portion of the 4473 should do the trick. I am amazed at the number of FFL's who, apparently, have never read the instructions for their most important document:

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sure why Missouri doesn't allow for change of address online. When I lived in NC, I could submit the request online, pay $10, and receive my new license in the mail. Taking an hour out of my day and dealing with rude people isn't my idea of fun. That being said, I always change my address.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Now, here's my question: What the hell is is "Canceled" NICS response? I've never had one. I don't believe this is the same as a customer never coming back to pick up a gun after getting a delay as the form lists CANCELED as a potential initial response from NICS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

For "denied” and "cancelled” NICS transactions, the person who completed Section B must complete Section

D, questions 33-35

They're rare. I've had one, and I've been doing these for several years.

Called the form in, and the NICS lady said that he already had a deny on file, so she was cancelling the transaction.

Weirdest thing I've seen calling one in.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Called the form in, and the NICS lady said that he already had a deny on file, so she was cancelling the transaction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For "denied” and "cancelled” NICS transactions, the person who completed Section B must complete Section
D, questions 33-35

That is strange. I wonder why they didn't just issue another deny. I imagined that a cancel happened when there was something wrong with the information after the NICS check had begun. "Oh snap, I didn't notice the guy says he's in the country illegally,"
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you! I totally forgot to let the sheriff's department know that I had moved (inside the same town and county). I went right there after reading this thread on Friday. All taken care of...whew!

Steve
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually, you can get a heritage card, which is even cheaper ($2.00), and they just ask for your current address.  We were told by an IOI that this was acceptable, since it's a state issued ID card.  Go figure...

Oh, and when I had to change the address on my driver's license (since I was getting my CCW at the time, and I figured that I should probably have something with a current address), they didn't put that sticker on the back of my license, I got that temporary paper that they printed out for me.  

Rev_Jason
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rev_Jason

This! Send your customer to Walmart and get a Heritage card, a fishing license or a hunting license. Any .gov issued doc with an address. We use these for FFL sales all the time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I recently went through *exactly* this.  Waited two hours at the FauxDMV for the address change on the back.  FFL didn't like that.  Went to next FFL and they mentioned the bit about fishing licenses.  I'm waiting for my new voter ID card to show up at this point.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thank you! I totally forgot to let the sheriff's department know that I had moved (inside the same town and county). I went right there after reading this thread on Friday. All taken care of...whew!

Steve
View Quote

Whoa Steve! Way to double your post count!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

It has been a while since I have been on here, they must reset the count. Not sure what happened there...

Steve
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top