Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:42:14 PM EDT
Copied from my post in the Primary Arms section just to see what you guys thought.   This will be on a 300 blk pistol.
(I assure you it will not be shouldered, I just have a really really long neck)

I've been wanting to try a magnifier for a while but I have a few questions....

The AR in question has a burris fastfire in a Burris AR mount. Will a PA 6x in the Burris AR flip mount be the correct height?

How well do magnifiers work with these small red dots?

I'm assuming they magnify the target/view but NOT the dot??

Anybody toyed with this same setup? Pics?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that just sucks.   I was hoping there was some sort of magic at play so the dot would remain 3moa.  Sort of like not seeing the front sight in front of a scope.  

IMHO An 18" dot at 100 yards isn't any better than the 3 moa without a magnifier.

What if I added some magnets?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering the same thing. This might sound dumb, but couldn't you mount a magnifier in front of a RDS to maintain a 3 moa dot and have magnification of the target?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt there would be enough eye relief to be able to get a full view through the magnifier.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
nvm just read your first sentence
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What if I added some magnets?
View Quote

Throw it down the treadmill and the magnified dot will actually show up as one of them fancy Trijicon epchilons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
JT,
I have a 5x I'll let you try, I used to use it with my Eotech, I don't know how it will work with a FF lll.

It's been a while, but I don't think it magnifies the dot 5X , I know back when my eyes were better I used it in 3gun matches shooting out to 500yds.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Matt!  I might just take you up on that. It could possibly save me buying one & regretting it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks Matt!  I might just take you up on that. It could possibly save me buying one & regretting it.
View Quote

I put it back on today (5x) to check, (HOW do people get pics of the reticle through a optic??)

Anyway, I think it will work for what your wanting to do- co-witness- It will with the Burris ARFlll mount

About the dot size, the dot stays the same size in relation to the target, it's not like you are trying to shoot a 4MOA target with a (5X x 3moa dot =15moa dot) huge dot.

Wish I could figure out how to get a pic

What I was sighting at was the neighbors mailbox 200yds away,
At 1X I can see the mail box fine , barely see the white lettering on it, center the dot on the faint white area.
At 5X, I can put the dot on individual letters on the mail box.

Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When mounted behind the scope, as I believe all magnifiers are designed to work due to their eye relief specs (just like a magnified scope), they will magnify the dot. A 2MOA dot with a 6x magnifier will present you a 12" dot at 100yds. A 4MOA dot with a 6x magnifier will = a 24" dot at 100yds.

Consider just a 3x magnifier. The Vortex magnifiers get really good reviews and are still less than half the price of the EOTech and Aimpoint magnifiers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:[div style='padding: 10px; overflow: visible;']
I'm assuming they magnify the target/view but NOT the dot??

When mounted behind the scope, as I believe all magnifiers are designed to work due to their eye relief specs (just like a magnified scope), they will magnify the dot. A 2MOA dot with a 6x magnifier will present you a 12" dot at 100yds. A 4MOA dot with a 6x magnifier will = a 24" dot at 100yds.

Consider just a 3x magnifier. The Vortex magnifiers get really good reviews and are still less than half the price of the EOTech and Aimpoint magnifiers.

Completely wrong.

Dot Moa stays exactly the same.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top