Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 3:15:01 AM EDT
I know of the big chain stores that carry safes but are there any local safe stores ?   Looking around the St. Charles/St. Louis area.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought my Dakota from a local gun shop (Jefferson City). My Zanotti came from an individual (Craigslist ad). I also got a cool heavy duty Treadlock security cabinet at a flea market.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and the local gun trading pages on Facebook. The farm/home stores like Tractor Supply and Orschelin have big sales a couple of times a year. They tend to offer lower end lines (i.e. "Winchester") but prices are good. Dick's puts safes on sale pretty regularly, too.

ETA: I don't live in St. Louis so can't offer any personal experience with local dealers, but a quick google search found these:

http://www.zykansafe.com/

http://www.batesstlock.com/index.php?cPath=8_23

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Local...  Frank Zykan has an EXCELLENT reputation and is a member here.  Is is always around the safe forum.

There is the Liberty safe "outlet" in the same plaza as Bass Pro.  They are on the end corner opposite the corner that Buffalo Wild Wings is on.  They have one or two other brands as well but plenty to look at.

Another one that is popular with ARFCOM but not local is Sturdy Safe.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Frank Zykan.

Give him a call and he'll give you a hell of a price on a good safe, delivered, and installed.  No BS kind of guy and will point you toward the right safe even if it's a kind he doesn't sell.  He does the deliveries for most of the big stores, so chances are you might see him anyway.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately Liberty purchased National Security and discontinued my safe

1" thick laminated steel door
1/4" body with concrete between the outer body and the inner 1/4" walls
Triple re lockers
One dial / spinner controls the vertical bolts, the other dial / spinner controls the horizontal bolts
Separate combinations
2,200 pounds bolted to the concrete floor

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't buy a Cannon safe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#7]
When I moved out here near Jefferson City, I bought mine from Dungarees in Columbia. I've never been in there though; I did it all online and over the phone. It's a Liberty Fatboy Jr., and I like it a lot.

If I were still near St. Louis, I'd probably go to the Liberty store mentioned above (by Bass Pro).

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't buy a Cannon safe.
View Quote

Too late.....

Is it top of the line? No. But it's better than what I had previously and definitely better than none at all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought my chi-com made Liberty at a farm supply store.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unfortunately Liberty purchased National Security and discontinued my safe

1" thick laminated steel door
1/4" body with concrete between the outer body and the inner 1/4" walls
Triple re lockers
One dial / spinner controls the vertical bolts, the other dial / spinner controls the horizontal bolts
Separate combinations
2,200 pounds bolted to the concrete floor

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/34a913ade59bb1072a8188dc34807ad9.jpg
View Quote

PSS, that is a kick ass safe!  What's the inside set up like?

I have a middle of the road Browning.  Bought it the day after my house was burglarized and I lost 8 handguns.  Yeah, I was young and stupid back then and should have had a safe.  I was extremely motivated to protect the rest of my collection, including all of my long guns.  Hopefully I'll never find out if the Browning will hold up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Too late.....

Is it top of the line? No. But it's better than what I had previously and definitely better than none at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't buy a Cannon safe.

Too late.....

My best friend is sitting with his locked up for the second time. First time they sent a smith out to drill it out open it up and fill the holes with epoxy and touch up paint. Stuff happens buddy wasn't happy but hey stuff happens. This time though he's not as thrilled. Been over a month finally got an email back today they are sending out the same smith as last time. They have  been saying they couldn't find anyone closer than Peoria il to open it. It's been a pretty much cluster. I never had a problem with my Browning. When I up graded to a bigger safe I ordered a homeland security from California. no troubles so far.

At least his 5.7 upper wasn't in it because my spectre ii can came  in today and I'm ready to give it go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine ate Dunns the electronic lock is made buy the same company that make the X09 for the miliarty and so far has been very good !!!

i got the 40inch safe for like $1000 nad i think 250 for dilivery and bolt down................. lov it !!

only problem is wife it filling it up faster than me :(
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought my Champion from Dunn's.  They have a delivery service on the side.  They were great; brought it to my house after dark.  Did the pvc pipe roller method.  Bought my FatBoy from a farm supply place out in Wentzville area.  I also have two of the off brand smaller ones and a job box that I bought from Home Depot that I got the idea from on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
We got ours from Dunn's as well. They have a pretty good selection and usually have some decent sales on already reasonable prices. Not to mention the staff has always been great to us
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Dunn's dun me right too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought mine from the Carhardt / Liberty Safe Outlet next to Bass Pro. Works for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Local...  Frank Zykan has an EXCELLENT reputation and is a member here.  Is is always around the safe forum.

There is the Liberty safe "outlet" in the same plaza as Bass Pro.  They are on the end corner opposite the corner that Buffalo Wild Wings is on.  They have one or two other brands as well but plenty to look at.

View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=46&t=348662
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My best friend is sitting with his locked up for the second time. First time they sent a smith out to drill it out open it up and fill the holes with epoxy and touch up paint. Stuff happens buddy wasn't happy but hey stuff happens. This time though he's not as thrilled. Been over a month finally got an email back today they are sending out the same smith as last time. They have  been saying they couldn't find anyone closer than Peoria il to open it. It's been a pretty much cluster. I never had a problem with my Browning. When I up graded to a bigger safe I ordered a homeland security from California. no troubles so far.

At least his 5.7 upper wasn't in it because my spectre ii can came  in today and I'm ready to give it go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't buy a Cannon safe.

Too late.....

Knock on wood, mine has worked great so far.

Kind of funny you mention Browning.... a few years ago, a local acquaintance built a big gun vault. Steel reinforced concrete walls, 1" thick steel plating on the roof, and a top of the line Browning vault door. A few months after completion, the door wouldn't open. It apparently had some sort of mechanical failure in the locking mechanism that a locksmith couldn't do anything with from the outside short of drilling/cutting. I don't know all the particulars, but apparently the guy thought it would be better to cut an access hole through a wall versus cutting his expensive door. Cutting a hole only big enough for a skinny guy to get through, they got the door open easily from the inside. Cutting through the wall took them many hours of labor and a lot of careful planning so that they would do the least amount of damage and not harm any of the firearms.

No offense meant to Browning products, they make really nice stuff. I'd say it can happen with any brand. Stuff happens.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that certainly doesn't instill much confidence.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry man. I googled his name to find his site, and the second or third link was to that archived thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a couple guys on the Safes & Security forum are big Sturdy lovers--they get all bent out of shape any time anyone says anything but "they're the best."  I asked Frank about Sturdy's and he didn't say anything bad about them, just that the fire liner did not have a track history.  He highly recommended AMSEC since they make jewelry and other very high end safes that meet insurance and government standards.  Their consumer line isn't quite to those standards, but it's the same technology and materials--so you're getting a hell of a safe for the money  If you visit that forum, you'll see hundreds of posts since then from Frank and other safe experts......he's a regular there.  Don't let one thread from 2011 make or break it for you.  Give the guy a call.  He gave me a ton of info, made a few recommendations, and showed me a few safes at his warehouse.  I did my research and in the end I liked what he had to offer--so I bought a safe from him, he installed it, and I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm going to start looking into some of these options.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I got one from Tractor Supply (Winchester branded) and one from Bass Pro (also Winchester branded).

I'm more concerned about smash-and-grab and some fire protection than anything else.

Edit: I used to have a Cannon via Tractor Supply and would never buy another. Massive safe but it only had locking bolts on one edge of the door.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bought mine from the Carhardt / Liberty Safe Outlet next to Bass Pro. Works for me.
View Quote

Same here, bought a Liberty Fat Boy from them was $700 cheaper than Cabelas wanted for the same safe. I need another and plan on buying from them again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Same here, bought a Liberty Fat Boy from them was $700 cheaper than Cabelas wanted for the same safe. I need another and plan on buying from them again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it was the wrong time of year, but I wasn't that impressed with their prices or selection.  The ones with any decent type of fire rating were $1K more than the same sized AMSEC I was looking at (and they were using gypsum board.)  The ones lined with concrete were $3-4K more.  They were a lot better looking outside and in, but it was going in the basement so I don't really care about that.  I've heard of people getting good deals up there, but I just didn't see any for the type I was looking for.

I was pretty impressed with the precision of doors on the Graffunder's, but for $10K+ they should be that good.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe it was the wrong time of year, but I wasn't that impressed with their prices or selection.  The ones with any decent type of fire rating were $1K more than the same sized AMSEC I was looking at (and they were using gypsum board.)  The ones lined with concrete were $3-4K more.  They were a lot better looking outside and in, but it was going in the basement so I don't really care about that.  I've heard of people getting good deals up there, but I just didn't see any for the type I was looking for.

I was pretty impressed with the precision of doors on the Graffunder's, but for $10K+ they should be that good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my fat boy in 2011 and haven't been in there since so maybe their prices have gone up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I bought my fat boy in 2011 and haven't been in there since so maybe their prices have gone up.
View Quote

Maybe, like I said, I know some other guys that have gotten good deals there in the past.

One thing that confuses is people is this perception that it's some sort of "factory outlet store" for Liberty.  It's not--it's a Dungarees store--they have a store in Columbia and then they opened the ones in St. Charles.  They are a BIG Carhartt and Liberty dealer.  They call themselves "Liberty Safes of Missouri", but also say "Independent Factory Authorized Liberty Safe Retailer"   Not trying to take anything away from their business, nice store and helpful employees when I was there.  But they're not an "outlet" store for Liberty and nothing on their paperwork or building says they are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
With my basement, I need a Dakota Interloc if I want to get anything bigger than 18" x 18" down the stairs. Does anyone near St. Louis sell these?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
With my basement, I need a Dakota Interloc if I want to get anything bigger than 18" x 18" down the stairs. Does anyone near St. Louis sell these?
View Quote

Damn where does it choke down to 18"??

The other takedown safe is a Zanotti.  Not sure if either are in STL anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Also....if anyone is looking for a used safe at a good price, my buddy is selling his rather than try to move it cross country again.  It's in Manchester and would be available in a few weeks.  Liberty Colonial LT-23 w/ LaGard digital keypad, 30 min @ 1200F, about 60h x 30w x 24d.  Send me an email and I'll forward to him......just trying to save him from the Craigslist'ers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/434811_Safe_Feasibility___Recommendation.html

I have about 44" from a wall to the start of the first step into my basement. I have similar clearance between the bottom of my stairs and my foundation wall. All safe movers I've found require safe size + 24" of room at each landing.

Thus, my choices are a "safe" from a big box store that is light enough for me and a couple guys to wrangle down the stairs (300 lbs) or a takedown safe.

I prefer the Dakota Interloc, but don't know where to buy one.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Any of you guys have an opinion on Sentry brand safes?

Been looking for another safe and not a storage locker.

http://www.botach.com/products/sentry-d888-6-11-cu-ft-large-capacity-security-safe.html

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Any of you guys have an opinion on Sentry brand safes?  Thoughts?
View Quote

I don't think any of theirs are fire rated, unless you get the expensive/commercial ones.

AFAIK, the rest are really just cabinets.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Send a PM to Bladeswitcher. It seems he bought one
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Got my Champion from Dunn's.  They gave me a really good deal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my Dakota from Bogg's Creek in Jefferson City. I don't think they stock them any more. If you go to Dakota's website they refer you to a distributor in Tulsa. I've called them and asked about ordering another one. The price wasn't too bad but shipping was a deal breaker. I actually thought about driving down there to pick one up (maybe combine that with a Tulsa Gun Show visit) but before I got serious about that idea I found a used Zanotti on Craigslist, right here in town.

I like both my Dakota and Zanotti quite a bit. I understand the limitations of any "gun safe" but I believe these knock-down safes are every bit as secure as a conventional big box store-grade welded box gun safe. The assembly of the Zanotti is quite a bit simpler because it uses big pins instead of nuts and bolts.

ETA: I moved and set up both the Dakota and Zanotti by myself. One wimpy guy with a two-wheel dolly and a Ranger pickup. The only really heavy part of either safe is the door and it's not too bad.

Count me as a fan of modular gun safes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top