Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 11:17:23 PM EDT
This may sound crazy and might be interpreted wrong but I will be in the St. Louis area soon and plan on taking the metro from the airport all the way to the end on the Illinois side.  In the current mood and environment, would that be a wise move for white guy with a young kid along?  

You all know the areas it goes through and so do I (was born in East St. Louis) I but I've not been there since Ferguson and have been confronted on the train in the past. Or, should i just hire a limo or cab and be done with it?  I don't care about cost, just want me and the kiddo to be safe.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
IDK man.  Everyone is going to have there own personal opinion.  Overall, I would say Ferguson has "passed"

But, there is still a tension in the air.  I have a lot of employees who ride the metro link daily, and I hear a lot of things from them that aren't on the news.

Just last week one of my employees friends was subject to "the knock out game".  Broke his jaw.

I've ridden the metro link several times, pretty much anytime I went downtown.  I used to feel OK on it, but still had a very heightened awareness.  These days, I'd be much more worried about the random racial violence that could accrue, than I used to be about general muggings/strong armed violence.

I would MAYBE risk it by myself, but for me personally if I had my kid with me, NO.

I don't care about cost, just want me and the kiddo to be safe.
View Quote
   you answered your own question right there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Plenty of people.here use the metro without issue.  I am not one of them.  If you are concerned, why not just alleviate the concern as you mentioned and hire a car service?  Then you just sit back and relax.

Besides any safety concern, I personally wouldn't want to be hauling luggage around with me on the metro.  in addition, you can't carry on the train so it is always a no go for me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have ridden the same route.  Don't look like a victim and you will be fine.  LEO and Security ride it randomly as well.  Lots of .gov guys ride it too.

I say do it if it makes your life/trip easier.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure on MO laws, but when you cross the river, it's illegal to CCW on public transportation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
you'll be fine, just make sure to wear this shirt.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This may sound crazy and might be interpreted wrong but I will be in the St. Louis area soon and plan on taking the metro from the airport all the way to the end on the Illinois side.  In the current mood and environment, would that be a wise move for white guy with a young kid along?  

You all know the areas it goes through and so do I (was born in East St. Louis) I but I've not been there since Ferguson and have been confronted on the train in the past. Or, should i just hire a limo or cab and be done with it?  I don't care about cost, just want me and the kiddo to be safe.
View Quote

Normally, I would say don't worry about it, you'll be fine, but do to current events and the Choir boys out looking for targets (white targets), I'd advise against it... Why take the chance...

If you could CCW from end to end without worrying about legal issues, I'd say proceed with caution...  Not the case...

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I was going to take the train but according to news clips, it looks like someone got mugged on it just last Friday and with the recent officer-involved shooting again, I'm not riding it especially in the absence of my CCW in Illinois.

If I was by myself, maybe, but I don't want my kid exposed to anything.  Thanks to the member who offered me a ride but I am going to hire a car, it does not cost that much and it's a quick pick up from the airport and then straight to my home town.  I have lived on both sides of the river, times sure have changed from the 60s & 70s.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:38:48 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll be fine, I do it all the time.  It gets "interesting" from the North Hanley (first stop after the airport) to the Wellston stop.  Depending on what time you go is also to be considered.  Most of the hood rats don't get up before 1300 so you should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top