Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:08:30 PM EDT
So this weekend I'm planning on doing some long range (to me) shooting. Never shot this far before(800 yards). Any tips or advice? I've been shooting rifles since I was a kid, but never this far, furthest shot to date was 350 yards.

Having a friend tag along who is very new to bolt guns and wants to give it go as well.

Thinking of playing with the AR at this range as well, so hopefully will be a good time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot the heaviest bullets you can stabilize as it will help you with wind. Do you have a chronograph ? If not, start at 100 make sure you got a good zero. Then go to 200. Record the drop. Go to 300 record the drop. Check these vs a ballistics calculator such as jbm ballistics. This will help you be very close on your dope.

How is your ar setup? What scope? Ar15 or Ar10?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So this weekend I'm planning on doing some long range (to me) shooting. Never shot this far before(800 yards). Any tips or advice? I've been shooting rifles since I was a kid, but never this far, furthest shot to date was 350 yards.

Having a friend tag along who is very new to bolt guns and wants to give it go as well.

Thinking of playing with the AR at this range as well, so hopefully will be a good time.

View Quote

Good spotting scope with a spotter who can look for trace is essential. Other than that, like 2nd post: heavy bullets (70+gr on 5.56)

And most of all: fundamentals. breathing, trigger control, steady shooting pos etc.

Oh, and a big ass target.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#3]
what to share your rifle setup ?
i use 223-308-300WM , lately alot more trigger time on the 300
do you handload ?

post back and let us know how your range time went

TS2
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Several rifles I'm gonna try and use.

Remington 700 5r .308-vortex viper 6.5-20x50,168gr amax hand loads

Colt 6920- aimpoint pro but gonna go for iron sights for this, Remington hollow points

Also taking the mosin for giggles

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
All good advice, also bring a four wheeler.  It gets old running back and forth to and from the target.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I know for the Iphone and IPad there are some good ballistic calculators. Might be some for the Android phones too. Course helps to know how fast your bullets are flying too. And B.C. if you can come up with that info. Then fully understanding your scope adjustments and how this changes with distance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
This is on our family farm so transport out to the target is easily arranged.

I found an app called sierra infinity and downloaded it, looks like it will help alot.

Gonna set up a few targets at distances closer than 800 and start there first.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Your 308 will do it without much trouble. The aim point won't be fun and irons won't be fun either. At this range you really need steel targets for instant feedback. At 800 though it will be hard to hear the 556.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Irons might work, if they have good 1/4 MOA elevation/windage adjustments, the the ones on the LMT rear sight or the A2 handle style sights. I really doubt a BUIS type iron will get you very far at 800Y

Aimpoint Pro will be almost impossible.... stuck using kentucky windage
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Irons might work, if they have good 1/4 MOA elevation/windage adjustments, the the ones on the LMT rear sight or the A2 handle style sights. I really doubt a BUIS type iron will get you very far at 800Y

Aimpoint Pro will be almost impossible.... stuck using kentucky windage
View Quote

Agreed. Without a gun made for this an ar will not like 800. You're going to need some serious elevation range or a 20 moa base to not be guessing holdovers at 800
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Get pictures for us jealous types.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I scored a brand new colt carry handle for free a while back and didn't know what I was gonna do with it, guess I could throw it on.

And I will moat certainly get some pictures and hopefully some video too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I scored a brand new colt carry handle for free a while back and didn't know what I was gonna do with it, guess I could throw it on.

View Quote

16" barrel correct? Don't be surprised if the holdover is past 50MOA at 800Y
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30 wouldn't surprise me but 50 would. It's been a couple years but my old 16" was shooting 2650 ish with 75gr bthp so at 800 it'd be right around 30. Either way, nearly impossible without irons designed for it. 30 moa here is roughly 240" or 20 ft of drop. There's no way to guess this accurately
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
30 wouldn't surprise me but 50 would. It's been a couple years but my old 16" was shooting 2650 ish with 75gr bthp so at 800 it'd be right around 30. Either way, nearly impossible without irons designed for it. 30 moa here is roughly 240" or 20 ft of drop. There's no way to guess this accurately
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh, shooting 75gr hpbt out of my 20" national match rifle at 600 was 34 MOA drop. anyways, gl. let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This is on our family farm so transport out to the target is easily arranged.

I found an app called sierra infinity and downloaded it, looks like it will help alot.

Gonna set up a few targets at distances closer than 800 and start there first.
View Quote

Go on....    From Sierra Bullets?  I cant find it on iPhone.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a windows phone

Here is the link.  http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/sierra-infinity/ed875c16-a892-48ac-8e0b-7dbd61dd1958

Seems very easy to use.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be like the Air Force and "Aim High".  But seriously, if there is any wind at all, you'll be shocked to see how much drift you get at even 400-500 yards.  800?  Bring a big target.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Be like the Air Force and "Aim High".  But seriously, if there is any wind at all, you'll be shocked to see how much drift you get at even 400-500 yards.  800?  Bring a big target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind drift like drop is pretty simple math to figure it out.  Just think about it and how to calculate BEFORE heading to the range, not chasing your tail once you get there.  

Wind is even easier than drop.  Ballistics will tell you time to target, drift is just XXmph multiplied by time in the air.  So if you have a 5mph cross vector, and 1 second of flight time, how far does something moving 5mph go in 1 second?  Pretty simple, just change your units from mph to inches per second.  The hardest part of wind isn't even hard, figuring direction and components.  For instance if you have a 10mph wind coming from 220 degrees, it would be broken into components of left/right and tail wind.  Tail/head winds are harder to in-your-head account for, but also have much less importance on bullet impact.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Also another point to make about winds and the compontes. is to take into account the spin of the bullet and how this is like throwing a curve ball, or a sinker. Example lets say your bullet has a left hand spin (CCW). When the wind is from the left at 270 degrees. The bullet will move to the right and up. If the bullet is a right hand twist (CW) then it would move to the right and drop. And the amount of change will change as the wind becomes a head or tail wind. UNLESS your shoot from under a open roof. I saw one of my shot fall when it should have raised. The breeze coming off of the roof rolled down and pushed my bullet down. This was while shooting comp .22LR at targets only 50 yrds away. Bullseye is .5" but if you break the line with the bullet inside. You just lost 50 of 100 points. Tough game.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Wind drift like drop is pretty simple math to figure it out.  Just think about it and how to calculate BEFORE heading to the range, not chasing your tail once you get there.  

Wind is even easier than drop.  Ballistics will tell you time to target, drift is just XXmph multiplied by time in the air.  So if you have a 5mph cross vector, and 1 second of flight time, how far does something moving 5mph go in 1 second?  Pretty simple, just change your units from mph to inches per second.  The hardest part of wind isn't even hard, figuring direction and components.  For instance if you have a 10mph wind coming from 220 degrees, it would be broken into components of left/right and tail wind.  Tail/head winds are harder to in-your-head account for, but also have much less importance on bullet impact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a lot more to wind calls than what you mentioned.  Once you get out to longer ranges, the wind has a high likelihood of having points of different wind.  Close to the shooter may be a full value L/R wind, a couple hundred yards more it may shift to a half value R/L wind.  And right before the target it may be another wind change. Also you need to take into effect wind changes made by terrain differences.  These are only a few of the variables that come into play when determining windage.  How do you factor for all the different winds and the time of effect for each value on the bullet?  

Also how do you figure out what the wind is doing at any given point along the path of the bullet?  Are you using flags? Environmental elements? Wind meters?  At what points are you checking wind?  

How do you translate a flag position or grass movement to a wind value?  What does a flag flying partially extended at roughly a 30 degree angle translate to?

The only way to become truly proficient is to spend a lot of time in the field making actual wind calls and being sure to record and remember the data for future use.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also another point to make about winds and the compontes. is to take into account the spin of the bullet and how this is like throwing a curve ball, or a sinker. Example lets say your bullet has a left hand spin (CCW). When the wind is from the left at 270 degrees. The bullet will move to the right and up. If the bullet is a right hand twist (CW) then it would move to the right and drop. And the amount of change will change as the wind becomes a head or tail wind. UNLESS your shoot from under a open roof. I saw one of my shot fall when it should have raised. The breeze coming off of the roof rolled down and pushed my bullet down. This was while shooting comp .22LR at targets only 50 yrds away. Bullseye is .5" but if you break the line with the bullet inside. You just lost 50 of 100 points. Tough game.
View Quote

You're talking about spin drift, but the mechanics of spin drift aren't like that of a curve ball.  A curve ball curves because of frictional forces from the seams against the air.  Spin drift of a bullet relates to it's tendency to drift in the direction of spin due to gyroscopic stability causing the nose to yaw.  

Wind rolling off the roof of a shelter is a totally different thing, that's basically the micro-dynamics of fluid motion.  

BTW - I'm a Atmospheric Scientist, or Meteorologist, so admittedly these phenomena are more 'obvious' to me
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is a lot more to wind calls than what you mentioned.  Once you get out to longer ranges, the wind has a high likelihood of having points of different wind.  Close to the shooter may be a full value L/R wind, a couple hundred yards more it may shift to a half value R/L wind.  And right before the target it may be another wind change. Also you need to take into effect wind changes made by terrain differences.  These are only a few of the variables that come into play when determining windage.  How do you factor for all the different winds and the time of effect for each value on the bullet?  

Also how do you figure out what the wind is doing at any given point along the path of the bullet?  Are you using flags? Environmental elements? Wind meters?  At what points are you checking wind?  

How do you translate a flag position or grass movement to a wind value?  What does a flag flying partially extended at roughly a 30 degree angle translate to?

The only way to become truly proficient is to spend a lot of time in the field making actual wind calls and being sure to record and remember the data for future use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right about everything you say, but this is a "First time shooting long range" thread.  Truly reading wind not just at your shooting location but all down range is an art that will take time to perfect.  A lot of paying attention to the conditions and relating those in your brain to real World results.  

As I just mentioned, being a Meteorologist, I'm more attuned to those things.  They don't teach it in class per-say, but just knowing and understanding weather really helps.  But as Bob Dylan said, you don't have to be a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]
So this wasn't a huge success, my Ar is grossly in adequate for this type of shooting so I'll just leave it to sub 300 next time.

I did however pound a 20"x20" steel plate at 800 on the first shot with the 700 5r.

No real pics or bids as I forgot my camera. Making a trip back this weekend for some shooting.

I setup some nice steel targets for close shooting 3- 30 yard steel pistol targets, a steel 100 yard and 1 steel 250 yard.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So this wasn't a huge success, my Ar is grossly in adequate for this type of shooting so I'll just leave it to sub 300 next time.

I did however pound a 20"x20" steel plate at 800 on the first shot with the 700 5r.

No real pics or bids as I forgot my camera.   Making a trip back this weekend for some shooting.

I setup some nice steel targets for close shooting 3- 30 yard steel pistol targets, a steel 100 yard and 1 steel 250 yard.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Can't say I'm shocked. The ar with a 1x reddot was going to kill your chances. Simply wrong tool. Glad you had fun. You should build a long range upper
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#27]
not that surprising on the AR.

for 800, I'd say these are basic requirements:

20" 1:7 match barrel, 75+ gr match bullets- probably loaded to max OAL rather than mag length, and 1/4MOA match grade sights or optics.

Based on the specs you gave, I'd be comfortable taking it out to 300-400Y. Maybe need a 3x magnifier towards the 400Y range, depending on the target.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#28]
at 800 yard the rotation of the earth is  factor, also matter if you are facing E or west north or south...................

if you are facing east you will shoot about 3 inches high, if you are facing west you will shoot about 3 inches low

it also matter where you are onthe earth
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
at 800 yard the rotation of the earth is  factor, also matter if you are facing E or west north or south...................

if you are facing east you will shoot about 3 inches high, if you are facing west you will shoot about 3 inches low

it also matter where you are onthe earth
View Quote

I think you have that backwards.  The time of flight would be longer for a shot facing east because the earth rotates that direction, so that shot would be low.  The shot to the west would be high...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
op yes i got it backwards, the earth was sipping a different direction that day :P
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
op yes i got it backwards, the earth was sipping a different direction that day :P
View Quote

SIPPING? Yes you where sipping something.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kool-aid is good lol

spinning
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

kool-aid is good lol

spinning
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

kool-aid is good lol

spinning

Make that Kool-Aid with Rum and I am all in.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#34]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZO60fpZoU4

Shot a few rounds today at 500 yards, wind speed was too variable to even try for 800 today.

Just figured I would post a video.

This was recorded on my phone so quality isn't the best.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Very Cool!

I just got a Rem 700 .308 and trying to get it to do that.  I hope to go to Lake City tomorrow to finish breaking in the barrel @ 100 yd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm really getting in to this long range thing.

I've thought about seeing if anyone here would be interested in shooting at the range I have setup, pretty much anything is ok.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm really getting in to this long range thing.

I've thought about seeing if anyone here would be interested in shooting at the range I have setup, pretty much anything is ok.
View Quote

And where is this range you speak of located?  I have a few that need their legs stretched.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#38]
It's just outside laddonia, or about 12 miles east of mexico
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, that's a long way from Jeff Co ... would be close to a 4 hour round trip
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rolling hills rifle and pistol club is what you desire
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, Jeff Co (county) - not City.  Does look like a great range, but that's a 5+ hour round trip.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Ah yes that makes a diff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top