Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2014 12:44:05 PM EDT
If anyone is interested I was in the H&H gun shop today in Warrenton. He has a new AR-50 with bipod. Price is just about right. Lots of 22LR in 500 rnd boxes. But I will be damned if I am going to pay around 55 bucks for what I used to buy at about 10 bucks. Yes I do realize that prices of metal has gone up. But I still will be damned if I will pay scalping prices 500% higher. If we as a group would not buy at these crazy prices. They will have to lower them or eat the damn ammo themselves.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be in Warrenton today, might just have to stop by and check it out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Lots of 22LR in 500 rnd boxes. But I will be damned if I am going to pay around 55 bucks for what I used to buy at about 10 bucks. Yes I do realize that prices of metal has gone up. But I still will be damned if I will pay scalping prices 500% higher. If we as a group would not buy at these crazy prices. They will have to lower them or eat the damn ammo themselves.
View Quote

When I see something like that, I generally don't ever go back. There's a relatively new quick-shop type place near here, that I went in once; I didn't buy anything, because they had .22lr ammo at scalping prices. (I think it was $75 for 500 rounds). Even if I'm just stopping to get a Coke, I pass that place and go down the block to the gas station.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested I was in the H&H gun shop today in Warrenton. He has a new AR-50 with bipod. Price is just about right. Lots of 22LR in 500 rnd boxes. But I will be damned if I am going to pay around 55 bucks for what I used to buy at about 10 bucks. Yes I do realize that prices of metal has gone up. But I still will be damned if I will pay scalping prices 500% higher. If we as a group would not buy at these crazy prices. They will have to lower them or eat the damn ammo themselves.
View Quote

Please do not keep us in suspense , how much was he asking 500% is not a dollar sign
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please do not keep us in suspense , how much was he asking 500% is not a dollar sign
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$10 x 500% = $50

It's in the post...  But at 550%.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Perspective is off here. Just about everything is more than it used to be. 2c a round for .22LR has been gone for a decade. Current msrp for that box might be closer to $30, so while the vendor could be asking a premium, I support it. If he was charging less than the going rate his shelves would be bare and that person buying a .22 for the first time would have NO options to take it out. Maybe before anyone starts judging, open up the books on the business that pays the mortgage (directly or through wages) and look at the margins/markup there. You might be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Perspective is off here. Just about everything is more than it used to be. 2c a round for .22LR has been gone for a decade. Current msrp for that box might be closer to $30, so while the vendor could be asking a premium, I support it. If he was charging less than the going rate his shelves would be bare and that person buying a .22 for the first time would have NO options to take it out. Maybe before anyone starts judging, open up the books on the business that pays the mortgage (directly or through wages) and look at the margins/markup there. You might be surprised.
View Quote

I understand this, and remember they are only just now seeing stock of .22 so they have to make income off of what they have.  If they can sell 100 boxes and they need a $100 of income that's only $1 a box they need to make, if they only have 10 boxes...well it adds up quick.

But, some are taking advantage and it is very frustrating when shooting 5.56 is cheaper than shooting .22 (especially when you have for children shooters like yours truly).
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to shoot what is known as American Rim Fire comp. I payed about 15 dollars for a box of 50 sub sonic high procession ammo. But for plinking ammo. I suppose I am just having sticker shock for what is almost 10 bucks for 50 rnds. Suppose I am just old school and this sticker price shock is getting the best of me. Kind of like seeing gasoline prices but a few years ago was almost 4 buck a gallon. And now look at the prices hovering around 2 bucks. I am looking forward to the price of ammo dropping back to what it was a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Prediction/Spoiler Alert: $10 .22LR bricks are gone and will never be back.  Now I realize that eventually every bubble bursts, but I just can't see everyday prices getting below $20 again.  

For all the folks that say "I can shoot 5.56 cheaper than .22!!", I'd like to know where you're finding $0.10/round 5.56?  I'm not sure if I've ever figured what I've got in my reloads, but I'm fairly confident that you can't go buy components at today's prices and get down to $0.10/round.  .22 LR prices suck, but even at $0.10/round it's pretty much the cheapest game in town.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Prediction/Spoiler Alert: $10 .22LR bricks are gone and will never be back.  Now I realize that eventually every bubble bursts, but I just can't see everyday prices getting below $20 again.  

View Quote

Anything over $20 is where it starts bothering me. I think that's what *normal* should be now.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Anything over $20 is where it starts bothering me. I think that's what *normal* should be now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're going to be "bothered" any time you attempt to buy .22 LR at every day prices for the rest of your life.  I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For all the folks that say "I can shoot 5.56 cheaper than .22!!", I'd like to know where you're finding $0.10/round 5.56?  I'm not sure if I've ever figured what I've got in my reloads, but I'm fairly confident that you can't go buy components at today's prices and get down to $0.10/round.  .22 LR prices suck, but even at $0.10/round it's pretty much the cheapest game in town.
View Quote

Normally I hit it pretty good at the gunshows, most expensive part is the bullet but gunbroker came close for a change:
55 gr 5.56 $0.07
Powder 24 gn $0.03
Primers <$0.02

So that I'm able to give links for I'm at $0.114, normally pay right around $0.05 for bullets at the gunshow.  Now those are out of the bin and by weight so it may vary but I still figure I'm loading for $0.10 plinking 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Normally I hit it pretty good at the gunshows, most expensive part is the bullet but gunbroker came close for a change:
55 gr 5.56 $0.07
Powder 24 gn $0.03
Primers <$0.02

So that I'm able to give links for I'm at $0.114, normally pay right around $0.05 for bullets at the gunshow.  Now those are out of the bin and by weight so it may vary but I still figure I'm loading for $0.10 plinking 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

55 gr 5.56 $0.07
Powder 24 gn $0.03
Primers <$0.02

Please allow me the chance to hoist my bullshit flag.

24 grain of powder for .03 means you got a pound for roughly 8.75
Primers under .02 means you get them for under 20/k ?
Really the only thing close is the projectile. You did forget brass cost. Bottom line is, you can not reload 556 anywhere near 10cents per with today's prices. If .... If .... If you did it once you couldn't do it twice without waiting months to piece it together
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Last year, most of arfcom was extremely confident that $3k 6920s, $300 stripped lowers, and $1/rd 5.56 was the new norm.

Demand is still insignificantly above supply, it will level out at some point, likely back around where prices used fo be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're going to be "bothered" any time you attempt to buy .22 LR at every day prices for the rest of your life.  I hope I'm wrong.

Last year, most of arfcom was extremely confident that $3k 6920s, $300 stripped lowers, and $1/rd 5.56 was the new norm.

Demand is still insignificantly above supply, it will level out at some point, likely back around where prices used fo be.

Most not all. I sold 5 lowers during the panic but kept 2 just in case. Kinda like I sold 100 mags but kept 75 JIC. I do think we will return to a norm of 20-25$ per brick but gone are the 10-15 days. I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#15]
black wood firearms has had one for months
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
A couple of weeks ago I just happened to stop by a crap mart and scored 22 ammo for just UNDER .05 per round.

Remington in 50 round boxes.  The nice lady let me buy 12 boxes so that was 600 rounds for just shy of $30.  I haven't seen it since of course.  And before I get accused of hoarding it, it was shot that weekend.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not trying to start a GD pissing match fellers.  If you can go down to your LGS/local fun show and pick up components to stomp out dime 5.56 rounds and or $0.03/round .22 LR, that's great.  I hope I'm able to in the near future as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#18]
$55 for 500 rounds is actually a pretty fair market prices unless it is total shit like the cheap Remington. Maybe a little high, but the fact he has it in stock is a miracle. In the past year and a half I can count on one hand places that even had 500 round boxes in stock.

It's not gouging, it's market value fluctuations. It actually helps keep limited resources more evenly distributed. Right now I wouldn't pay $55 for a brick because I have ~2500 rounds at home. But in the past year I have paid nearly that ($40 for a few bricks, I think $50 for one) because I needed it to shoot. So at $55, I am going to pass because I am set. But if they were only say $20 or even $30 I would have bought every damn brick I could afford and so would you. So now I'd be the asshole with the .22lr ammo fort and some poor guy wanting some .22 to plink with his kid is shit out of luck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
The stuff I am seeing, I cant remember the name. But it aint nothing I have seen in the past. The name makes me think it is some stuff south of the border.  Which makes me wonder about the quality of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been seeing armscor 22lr locally. I bought several thousand rounds and it shot as well as any other bulk pack. Was this the brand?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe that Aguilla may be made south of the border.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, It is made in Mexico.    

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stuff I got is Eley primed and in a red box, I think Hyper Velocity? I actually like it. It shoots really well through my Mark II.

My dad got some of their CBs and it has NO powder, vs a tiny amount some CBs have. So while they shoot ok for rats and rabbits in his back yard, they are lower powered than the CCI CBs he had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top