Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 8:26:34 PM EDT
Let's talk felons and how they can hunt. I've got an employee that is looking to go hunting but he's got a felony record. Can he use a bow? It's a very recent conviction so getting it expunged is not an option.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I know at one time they could use black powder since they aren't firearms.

I have no idea if that is still the case and I don't know about bows.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
MDC

While it may be unlawful for a prohibited person to possess a firearm or ammunition, he or she may be able to hunt by means other than firearms. Chapter 7 of the Wildlife Code provides for bow, crossbow, slingshot, atlatl and cage-type trap as methods for hunting.
View Quote

Note that this is dated 2007, so check for changes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Does he still have to report to their parole officer? Best ask him or if not reporting requirement. Might still make contact with one and ask. Lawyer is going to cost money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Black powder
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I know guys that hunt with muzzle loaders, bows, and some fancy ass high end air rifles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I work with a 50-something-y/o dude who got a felony drug conviction in the late 1970s. He buys a firearms deer tag and goes hunting with his 30-30 every year. Says when he had his record pulled sometime in the 90s, the state of Missouri no longer had record of the felony conviction. I'll bet he ain't the only one in this boat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in my days of having to worry about such things...

It was up to the PO if you were allowed to bow hunt or not. Most will tell you to piss up a rope.

I will say this... He should NOT go buy a tag without discussing it with his PO first...

I did so... It wasn't 15 minutes later that my PO was calling me asking what my intentions were... I assume MDC notifies the DOC if you purchase a hunting permit.

All of this is behind me now obviously (clean record upon completion of probation) and I'm now free to do as I wish... But... There's my experience with it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a family member with a felony conviction that served time,not in Missouri.  He has hunted in rifle season in multiple states.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
a co worker of mine has 5 dwi's became a felon , he has to black powder the catch he told me it has to
be a cap and ball or flint he can not use a black powder that takes a 209 primer .
he does bow hunt aswell .

TS2
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
What does the PO have to do with whether felon uses firearms or not? Shouldn't that of been stipulated by the Judge at the sentencing? Last I knew, a bow, atatl, trapping and such are not firearms. Why would the felon need to report this to his PO?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does the PO have to do with whether felon uses firearms or not? Shouldn't that of been stipulated by the Judge at the sentencing? Last I knew, a bow, atatl, trapping and such are not firearms. Why would the felon need to report this to his PO?
View Quote

Im in full agreement... However... At the time... I didn't want to piss my PO off... So I just went with it.

As I said... That was just my experience... All should take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I've recently had this discussion with two LEOs.  One says that a felon cannot hunt with any firearm, the other says that they can use black powder firearms.  I looked up Missouri law and it is also confusing.  One part implies that they cannot hunt with any firearm, another part implies that they can use black powder.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Have one that just got out of Levenworth in March after a 12 year stent, 3 years of prior felonies and in prison. Can't wipe his own ass without the parole officer calling me. I'm not even sure why I employ him, he has informed me he can't even have a fishing license.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have one that just got out of Levenworth in March after a 12 year stent, 3 years of prior felonies and in prison. Can't wipe his own ass without the parole officer calling me. I'm not even sure why I employ him, he has informed me he can't even have a fishing license.
View Quote

Yeah, this guy did 9 months in Florida for felony drug possession and burglary of unoccupied residence. He's been out 4 months and Seems to be turning his life around and is staying clean. His PO makes sure of this.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought the law was very clear that felons cannot own firearms.  Muzzle loading guns are still firearms.  They are classified as antique firearms, but still firearms.  

Now that's not to say that depending upon the felon, that law enforcement couldn't look the other way for a non-violent offender.  Or confuse the issue since there is no background check to buy antique firearms.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought the law was very clear that felons cannot own firearms.  Muzzle loading guns are still firearms.  They are classified as antique firearms, but still firearms.  

Now that's not to say that depending upon the felon, that law enforcement couldn't look the other way for a non-violent offender.  Or confuse the issue since there is no background check to buy antique firearms.
View Quote

IIRC muzzle loaders are not considered firearms. They may be bought online and don't require an ffl transfer.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IIRC muzzle loaders are not considered firearms. They may be bought online and don't require an ffl transfer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle loaders are definitely firearms (antique firearms).  However, this ATF website seems to answer the question very clearly and "prohibited persons" are allowed to use antique firearms...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought air rifles were pulled into the firearms category a couple of years, 2010-2011, ago? I knew a guy who had a felony conviction, was able to buy an air rifle. Not to long after he was told he might get in trouble for owning it. Am I mistaken?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top