Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 10:57:28 AM EDT
As I mentioned in one of the Ferguson threads, a building I work out of is being used as a "command post" during the oncoming activities.  

While this is happening, we still have to be open and there will be people coming and going that have nothing to do with LE.  We have been asked to verify the "credentials" of anyone attempting to gain entry to our building that is not LE.  My boss has appointed me to do this.  I will have an officer with me should someone with no business there get ignorant.

Obviously I will be armed as I always am and actually have "permission" from the boss even though the building is posted.  Hell the boss is taking my ccw class in December.  Anyway, I thought it would be prudent to at least let the officer with me know in the event of an unintended flash or print or comment.  And honestly I think it would be the courteous thing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The following answer assumes I'm understanding your question correctly. IIRC, if you are on private property, that you have permission to be on, and carrying with permission of the property owner, then a CCW permit is not required to carry concealed.

And on private property the owner ABSOLUTELY has the right to request that visitors not have weapons on them.  
View Quote

Correct..  My boss is the "CEO" of our organization and the top authority.  We own the property and he has complete discretion so me being armed is NOT the issue.

A polite way to inform the officer I'm standing with is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
"So, what's YOUR carry gun?"  

If you are in the 63136 zip code, the State of Emergency declaration gives all non-Prohibited persons - whether they have a CCW permit or not - the lawful ability to be carrying either openly or concealed.  Just let the officer know "I am carrying".
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Easy. Hey BTW I am carrying.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
After you have been around him a bit and see what his attitude is, you will probably know what and when to say it, but I would work into casual conversation that you are a CCW instructor and go from there. I doubt he will be too nervous or anything about it as long as you carry yourself well and he can plainly see you are competent. I doubt you will have an issue.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
"Bummer, was hoping you were carrying a 1911 so we could share mags."
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Just tell him... directly and early. Everyone is on edge at this point and if he sees the gun before you tell him he may get the wrong idea. All of the police officers understand why the business owners are arming themselves and they don't have a problem with it. That being said, you really need to be careful about what happens if you have to pull your gun and use it. Do what you have to do to protect yourself, but put your gun down or back in the holster as quickly as possible and don't go outside your building waving the gun around or there is a good chance you will be mistaken for a bad guy and shot.

And one last thing... quoting laws about emergency declarations and what is legal; and not legal to police officers working in that area is NOT a good idea. By the time you get the words out of your mouth, you'll probably already be shot. Trust me on this!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Why tell the officer?

I did a ride along and didn't say shit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why tell the officer?

View Quote

Because if God forbid a group of scum were dumb enough to do something, I'm going to defend myself.  I don't think THAT is the time for the officer to find out and I certainly wouldn't want to be mistaken as a dirt bag.  I just think in this situation, it would be better if I told him or her.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm under no delusion as to what my role is in this situation.  I'm not playing cop but I think it would be best if the one standing near me and I were on the same page.

Hey, maybe I'll get a hottie. .

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd just come right out and tell him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
say "oh, you carry a Glock? I have a ..."
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Best way will be to ask your boss to contact the police and inform them that you have permission to carry. Let the boss who is the one that will have to tell the police sooner or later that you are good to go. Cause if your the one who tells the police. They are going to jack you up till they clear your claim with the boss. Might as well get it all done right from the get go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
"Hey if things go sideways, let ME do the shooting, you just call for the coroner to come pick up the bodies."

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I will have an officer with me should someone with no business there get ignorant.

View Quote

An assigned officer, or different ones all the time? If they're going to be rotating assignments, I would go with the suggestion above about letting your boss coordinate with police about it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]If you are in the 63136 zip code, the State of Emergency declaration gives all non-Prohibited persons - whether they have a CCW permit or not - the lawful ability to be carrying either openly or concealed.  Just let the officer know "I am carrying".
View Quote

I'm very interested to read the reference for that one. Can you post a link to the statute on that?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm very interested to read the reference for that one. Can you post a link to the statute on that?
Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]If you are in the 63136 zip code, the State of Emergency declaration gives all non-Prohibited persons - whether they have a CCW permit or not - the lawful ability to be carrying either openly or concealed.  Just let the officer know "I am carrying".

Thanks

Here
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because if God forbid a group of scum were dumb enough to do something, I'm going to defend myself.  I don't think THAT is the time for the officer to find out and I certainly wouldn't want to be mistaken as a dirt bag.  I just think in this situation, it would be better if I told him or her.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm under no delusion as to what my role is in this situation.  I'm not playing cop but I think it would be best if the one standing near me and I were on the same page.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why tell the officer?

Makes sense.   Pics of hottie.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#18]
" hey bro, I'm packing too"
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally, I wouldn't mention it. If he's curious, he'll ask.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2013/title-v/chapter-44/section-44.101
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you are in the 63136 zip code, the State of Emergency declaration gives all non-Prohibited persons - whether they have a CCW permit or not - the lawful ability to be carrying either openly or concealed.  Just let the officer know "I am carrying".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Firearms and ammunition, state of emergency, no restrictions permitted.

44.101. The state, any political subdivision, or any person shall not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency.

(L. 2007 S.B. 257)

I'm not sure if your interpretation is correct.  It reads to me like it prohibits government from increasing restrictions during a state of emergency.  I don't see where it removes any existing restrictions.  

In other words, I think any existing laws on concealed or open carry would still apply.  It just prohibits New Orleans style confiscations.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Personally, I wouldn't mention it. If he's curious, he'll ask.
View Quote

same.

If things begin to be apprehensive, then let him know about your credentials and your extreme emergency tool.

Don't give him an opportunity to disarm you and call his Sarge for advice.

Wait until he should believe you are an unexpected asset.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Hey I have my CCW and I'm carrying, end of story.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh boy...I've entered a coming out thread.  Wanting to discuss what you're packing in your pants with another guy....this thread has gay all over it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh boy...I've entered a coming out thread.  Wanting to discuss what you're packing in your pants with another guy....this thread has gay all over it.
View Quote

Don't worry, you are not in GD anymore.  

As it turns out, I don't have an officer with me, at least not at this point.  Things may change when events start happening or when the news and or other people figure out where we are.

I did talk to the director of the city police academy.  He seems to be a really cool guy.  He invited myself and some of our coworkers to come shoot a Thompson, MP5, and Lewis machine gun.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As it turns out, I don't have an officer with me, at least not at this point.  Things may change when events start happening or when the news and or other people figure out where we are.

I did talk to the director of the city police academy.  He seems to be a really cool guy.  He invited myself and some of our coworkers to come shoot a Thompson, MP5, and Lewis machine gun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey scpd, Do you really thing that is IT? You do remember that he is in a building that has the NO CCW sign out front. And if I remember correctly. All of the other employees are not allowed to CCW. He has the bosses blessings as the exception to the rule. So how is the officer supposed to know that he is the exception? Is the officer supposed to take his word for it? Or is it going to take the boss telling the officer that this is the only employee that is good to go with the CCW?

I am not trying to complicate something, but I think a good number of you are over simplifying the situation.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hey scpd, Do you really thing that is IT? You do remember that he is in a building that has the NO CCW sign out front. And if I remember correctly. All of the other employees are not allowed to CCW. He has the bosses blessings as the exception to the rule. So how is the officer supposed to know that he is the exception? Is the officer supposed to take his word for it? Or is it going to take the boss telling the officer that this is the only employee that is good to go with the CCW?

I am not trying to complicate something, but I think a good number of you are over simplifying the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may not have been completely clear...  Many of us have had permission to carry for some time and of those, I have trained 90%+.  During a meeting/discussion Friday on how we would handle things, I suggested it was time to put the permission in writing.  He agreed so Saturday I drafted a letter, he liked it, printed it on letterhead and signed for anyone he wanted to.  So worst case scenario, I had a hard copy of the letter with me.

I previously mentioned talking to the director of the Academy this morning.  As early as I was there, he was the only white shirt there at the time.  He was extremely cool and several of us discussed cc and he commented how great it was that we (non Leo types), had the ability to carry.  During the conversation we talked about some scenarios the police are faced with, we discussed how we approach some of those as a ccw instructor etc.  

Throughout the day I had many conversations with officers about many things.  I was near a constantly opening door the majority of the day so I had my NRA jacket on that has a small instructor logo on the left chest.  That was a conversation starter for some and some mistook it as an agency logo. Lol
It was a good experience and many, many officers expressed their gratitude that we provided a large building for their use.  Honestly, I don't think they would have cared if I had my sbr slung.

If any of you are city LEO and you are at the command center, come say hello.  I'm the 6'6" guy that Isn't a cop and I'll be there at least through Wednesday.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I may not have been completely clear...  Many of us have had permission to carry for some time and of those, I have trained 90%+.  During a meeting/discussion Friday on how we would handle things, I suggested it was time to put the permission in writing.  He agreed so Saturday I drafted a letter, he liked it, printed it on letterhead and signed for anyone he wanted to.  So worst case scenario, I had a hard copy of the letter with me.

I previously mentioned talking to the director of the Academy this morning.  As early as I was there, he was the only white shirt there at the time.  He was extremely cool and several of us discussed cc and he commented how great it was that we (non Leo types), had the ability to carry.  During the conversation we talked about some scenarios the police are faced with, we discussed how we approach some of those as a ccw instructor etc.  

Throughout the day I had many conversations with officers about many things.  I was near a constantly opening door the majority of the day so I had my NRA jacket on that has a small instructor logo on the left chest.  That was a conversation starter for some and some mistook it as an agency logo. Lol
It was a good experience and many, many officers expressed their gratitude that we provided a large building for their use.  Honestly, I don't think they would have cared if I had my sbr slung.

If any of you are city LEO and you are at the command center, come say hello.  I'm the 6'6" guy that Isn't a cop and I'll be there at least through Wednesday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I do believe that's it. The cops there know what this could be when this it "no true billed" and a employee that has to be at the business legally CCWing is not on the radar of the LEOs in the area. And remember unless the property/business owner makes a complaint about a subject CCWing in a posted business there is no crime.  I mean cbr could be thrown to the ground and a jackboot stomped on his neck but I seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Today I have three NG with me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder why?

Be safe sir.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wonder why?

Be safe sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why?

Be safe sir.

No worries.  They sat in the Humvee while I froze my ass off controlling access.  If something had gone down I would have been reloading by the time they got out.

Honestly our greatest asset here is no one knows where we are.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
A coworker of mine took a pic of me this morning as I was at my post.

Unfortunately, no .50 on the Humvee.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A coworker of mine took a pic of me this morning as I was at my post.

Unfortunately, no .50 on the Humvee.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/uzishooter/WP_20141126_001_zpsd831e85b.jpg
View Quote

Did ya steal the keys anyway?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Is that your get home bag to the left?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is that your get home bag to the left?
View Quote

I didn't steal the keys since the NG were in the Humvee 90% of the time. .

The pack is mine.  It is a Ranger Green Tactical Tailor with some minor supplies and there may or may not be an sbr in there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
My guard duty is complete.  

The City Police have broken down their command center and are packing everything up.  Apparently the football game yesterday was the final litmus test for them.  They feel it went well so they are going to handle anything that pops up from their standard command.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]
It also sounds like it was a positive experience for you.

Glad of that !  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top