Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 7:29:22 PM EDT
Just learning questions....  I would ask a sales guy.  But hey,  they are "sales" guys...  In other words, I don't trust them for *^&#!
Considering getting one...  Should I get .30 cal for the Remmy 700 or .22 for the AR and 10/22?   (I know that I can use both if I get the .30 cal.)
Is there better suppression by getting the correct size for the rifle?
What is a ball park on getting the threads for these?  Remming 700 Heavy Barrel,  Of course I could fit it on the M1A if I had lost it hunting.  UGH...
Am I going to run into cycling issues on my semi-autos?

Who make a solid package?  

Thanks for the help....

Taz

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Just learning questions....  I would ask a sales guy.  But hey,  they are "sales" guys...  In other words, I don't trust them for *^&#!

Considering getting one...  Should I get .30 cal for the Remmy 700 or .22 for the AR and 10/22?   (I know that I can use both if I get the .30 cal.)

What is a ball park on getting the threads for these?  Remming 700 Heavy Barrel,  Of course I could fit it on the M1A if I had lost it hunting.  UGH...

Thanks for the help....

Taz

View Quote
You aren't going to want to run .22LR in a sealed rifle can (.22LR is DIRTY). You can however cover almost everything with 3 cans: .30 cal rifle can, .22LR user serviceable can, and a pistol can of your choice (a .45 can covers just about everything).

For most semi-automatic pistols, you will need a suppressor with a recoil booster, LID, pedersen device, or whatever the manufacturer decided to call it. Many names for the same thing, a piston and a spring to keep the mass of the can from messing up the slide recoil cycle.

A slightly oversized can is barely louder than the caliber matching can. Whatever you do, make sure you get a dedicated .22LR can. Subsonic .22 is giggle quiet with decent suppression.

There are several good manufacturers, and tons of information in the suppressors forum under the armory tab. Make your own decision though, don't just guzzle the kool-aid and buy the latest most expensive toy that is all the rage online. With a ~6 month wait, it is extremely possible that something newer and shinier will come out as you are waiting. Don't buy bottom of the barrel, NFA purchases take awhile, and you will want to be happy with your purchase.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the suppressor forum under the armory tab.  Tons of great stuff.

Short answer you don't want to shoot .22 through anything not a .22 can period.  Silencer shop has several deals right now for two cans usually a 5.56 or 7.62 and .22.  One of them the .22 can is 99 bucks so pretty reasonable.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You aren't going to want to run .22LR in a sealed rifle can (.22LR is DIRTY). You can however cover almost everything with 3 cans: .30 cal rifle can, .22LR user serviceable can, and a pistol can of your choice (a .45 can covers just about everything).  

For most semi-automatic pistols, you will need a suppressor with a recoil booster, LID, pedersen device, or whatever the manufacturer decided to call it. Many names for the same thing, a piston and a spring to keep the mass of the can from messing up the slide recoil cycle.

A slightly oversized can is barely louder than the caliber matching can. Whatever you do, make sure you get a dedicated .22LR can. Subsonic .22 is giggle quiet with decent suppression.

There are several good manufacturers, and tons of information in the suppressors forum under the armory tab. Make your own decision though, don't just guzzle the kool-aid and buy the latest most expensive toy that is all the rage online. With a ~6 month wait, it is extremely possible that something newer and shinier will come out as you are waiting. Don't buy bottom of the barrel, NFA purchases take awhile, and you will want to be happy with your purchase.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help....

Taz

This is good info. I have 3 cans and they cover pretty much anything. A SWR Specter for .22 up to 5.7, a AAC Ti-Rant in .45 covers all the pistol cals and a SDN-6 in .308 covers the 300 blackout and the 5.56 ar's. The two big cans have hundreds or rounds each through them and have gained no weight. The .22 can sees the majority of the rounds and gains weight like a college freshman. I am currently considering sending it back to SWR for the upgrade to the new internals and havent cleaned it in about 2k rounds. It is more than double its starting weight and the sound is starting to get noticeable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything said here is good info, but one thing you said is knawing at me. You can NOT shoot a 223/556 round through a 22 lr can. It is just big enough to not fit through the baffles, w/o strikes. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you were trying to use the same can for both.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are only going to get two, get something like an Octane 9 instead of a dedicated 22LR can. It can be used on all rimfire, 300BLK subs and 9mm and lesser pistol cartridges.

And it is user serviceable, F/A rated, quiet so on.... If I were to get only two it would be that and a YHM ULT 30. You would have an extremely versatile combo between the two.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks gentlemen,
You have answered most of my questions.
I was thinking of .22 LR
and
something for the .308 and .223/5.56

I didn't consider a pistol caliber for the .22LR. Humm.....

It sounds like the best way to go is to buy one that can be cleaned by me.  

Then I just have to find someone to do the treading on this...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried to cover all my bases with 3 Cans...

Surefire Socom 556 for all my ARs..  Sadly all 5.56s nothing slick like some of the guys....

Octane 45 HD, will fit my pistols in .45, .40 and 9mm...  There are a ton of Pistons/Adapters available for it, so it'll even fit on 3 Lug rigs like a MP5, or a AR in 9mm....

Sparrow II, that will fit all my .22s, like Ruger 10/22, Savage Bolt Actions, Ruger MKIII, etc.. etc...

In retrospect, I should have opted for the Surefire in .30cal, so it'd fit bigger bolt actions and an AR in .308 if I ever get one, while still working on my ARs in 556...

Now if my Dang stamps would just come in....  The wait, its killing me...

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I typically recommend starting with 3 suppressors that should cover you to get you started,
1. A good take apart 22 suppressorpp
2. One of three top rated 45 suppressors
3. A good 30 cal suppressor rated to 308 or 300WM

After that I would look at getting a good 5.56 suppressor and 9mm suppressor for those that shoot a lot of 556 and 9mm since they are typically shorter and will have improved db reduction over the overbore suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I typically recommend starting with 3 suppressors that should cover you to get you started,

After that I would look at getting a good 5.56 suppressor and 9mm suppressor for those that shoot a lot of 556 and 9mm since they are typically shorter and will have improved db reduction over the overbore suppressors.
View Quote

This right here.  I really like my Silencerco suppressors.  The warranty is top notch, customer service is the best, and they make great products.  I have used the customer support and warranty and can attest to it.

- .22lr = Spectre II
-9/45 = Octane 45
-556/308 = Specwar 762 or Saker 762  These are quick detach for multiple weapons.

For that bolt gun, you might consider the Harvester too.  Silencer Shop is doing a deal with getting a Specwar 762 and a Spectre II for $99.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This right here.  I really like my Silencerco suppressors.  The warranty is top notch, customer service is the best, and they make great products.  I have used the customer support and warranty and can attest to it.

- .22lr = Spectre II
-9/45 = Octane 45
-556/308 = Specwar 762 or Saker 762  These are quick detach for multiple weapons.

Thanks for the help everyone!  

For that bolt gun, you might consider the Harvester too.  Silencer Shop is doing a deal with getting a Specwar 762 and a Spectre II for $99.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- .22lr = Spectre II
-9/45 = Octane 45

Thanks for the help everyone!  

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Just an info note - The Silencerco Octanes are G2G for 22LR as they can be cleaned!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just an info note - The Silencerco Octanes are G2G for 22LR as they can be cleaned!
View Quote

Just make sure you can see your sights on your host gun.  The Octanes work well on some host guns but may block your sights on many pistols and rifles.

The standard 22 suppressors are around 1" diameter.  The Octanes are 1.375" diameter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top