Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2014 3:27:23 PM EDT
So how does this work since the changes???

Do certain towns, cities, areas, etc  still have enforceable ordinances restricting Open Carry????

Or is it pretty much anywhere in Mo is open carry is legal, (except the obvious where firearms are prohibited)???
Not trying to debate anyone's opinion right wrong or indifferent,  just the law as it stands today...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a valid ccw from ANY state, it is now preempted as legal throughout the state.  If someone does not have a valid ccw, then open carry can still be regulated by city or municipality.

When I conceal, I never really paid attention to no carry signs.  While open, I feel I need to pay more attention and actually "obey" by NOT open carrying at those places.  If a cop is ever called, I don't want him to be able to say I walked right passed the sign.

I have now open carried in St. Charles, St. Louis County, and Jefferson County without incident.  Lowes, Ship N Save, QT, Shell and a couple other places.  No one said a word.  At Lowes I talked to three different employees during my shopping trip and no one made any comment.  I did push a shopping cart which probably made me look like less of a potential threat as I was just another guy shopping.  Maybe I over thought it, I don't know.  I was definitely a bit nervous because it is an odd feeling however, the first time I concealed I was nervous as well thinking everyone was looking at me.  

I don't plan on doing it often but I wanted to do it a couple times just for the heck of it.  Ymmv

Eta: http://www.senate.mo.gov/14info/pdf-bill/tat/SB656.pdf
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I open carried sunday , went to bob evans for breakfast nobody said anything or looked disturbed , stopped a buchietts for animal feed and some supplies no comments except for the guy in the sporting good department wanted to know what manufacture my 1911 was , went to the gunshow and they wanted me to unload my gun give them the ammo and put a tie-wrap on it . Never mind the big nra display inside . I took the gun back to my truck and locked it up .
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Several other things about the change:

1. You must have your CCW permit on you while open carrying in cities with an ordinance against open carry.

2. You must show your CCW permit to LEO if asked to see it.

2. Your handgun cannot be taken from you or you detained unless you are suspected of a crime.

Good change all the way around.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a few people walking around openly carrying since the change. I have seen no "alarm" response from anyone. I'm not even sure most people noticed the gun the few times I have seen it..
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
That is the way it should be. If you are walking around in a store, minding your own business, nobody really cares. I've said this for years, and I have only had one lady, the manager of an auto parts store in California, Mo. of all places, tell me I couldn't carry a gun in there. I looked at the door, then back at her, and said: "I don't see a sign?" . She said:" Well....we used to have one...." , and I went about my business.

I've had MANY people come up and thank me, ask me what I'm carrying, or just ask a few questions about the legality of OC . Some don't know it's legal even, so I try my best to ease their mind and educate them .

Man...one at a time guy, we can make this more "common place" so folks don't freak out at the sight of a law abiding person carrying a pistol on their hip.

On another note, I was eating lunch yesterday in Culver's in JC, and a guy was OC'ing a Glock in a non-retention holster and had a badge next to it. The holster was just one of those leather top-slide-in jobs, with nothing holding it in . Sure, that would be fine for CCW, but for OC ?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the way it should be. If you are walking around in a store, minding your own business, nobody really cares. I've said this for years, and I have only had one lady, the manager of an auto parts store in California, Mo. of all places, tell me I couldn't carry a gun in there. I looked at the door, then back at her, and said: "I don't see a sign?" . She said:" Well....we used to have one...." , and I went about my business.

I've had MANY people come up and thank me, ask me what I'm carrying, or just ask a few questions about the legality of OC . Some don't know it's legal even, so I try my best to ease their mind and educate them .

Man...one at a time guy, we can make this more "common place" so folks don't freak out at the sight of a law abiding person carrying a pistol on their hip.

On another note, I was eating lunch yesterday in Culver's in JC, and a guy was OC'ing a Glock in a non-retention holster and had a badge next to it. The holster was just one of those leather top-slide-in jobs, with nothing holding it in . Sure, that would be fine for CCW, but for OC ?

View Quote

Are you worried about it falling out, or someone trying to take it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1. You must have your CCW permit on you while open carrying in cities with an ordinance against open carry.

2. Your handgun cannot be taken from you or you detained unless you are suspected of a crime.

View Quote

Does that mean that cops can't take your pistol from you during a traffic stop any more?

Is there a specific place in the bill that says that?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So worries about printing while CCW are over, correct?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you were worried about it before, yes even though it wouldn't have been a crime before this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does that mean that cops can't take your pistol from you during a traffic stop any more?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(c)In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and
(d)Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121

It doesn't mean it won't happen, but it shouldn't.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(c)In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and
(d)Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121

cbr would you please give the complete drill down for your quote. I would like to be able to print this out with the complete drill down in case some cop wants to get heavy handed. As everyone says, some of the cops dont get the message.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.senate.mo.gov/14info/pdf-bill/tat/SB656.pdf

Line 33

But my question is does being pulled over for a traffic violation meet the criteria.  So if you are pulled over for speeding is that criminal action therefore this protection does no apply
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#14]
There will be lots of LEO that will state that they are going to disarm you for their safety which shouldn't be allowed under the new law. And they will claim that they need to run the serial number to make sure the firearm isn't stolen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, either could happen, but if you are going to carry openly, you should at least have a retention holster so someone doesn't walk up behind you and take it mainly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm curious as how this'll effect my travels, if at all,.

I OC regularly in Springfield, Greene Cty, and the surrounding areas.  I think I've had only one person call me on it.

That person was at a rapid roberts, where their "no guns sign" is 4"x4", and didn't meet the requirements of signage by law.  Once I mentioned that, it was no longer mentioned.  Ironically, that same gas station was robbed a week later.   The next time I went in, I refrained from asking them how their "no guns" sign worked out for them.

OC in SWMO kinda reminds me of this scene from Jurassic Park.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well I always thought it was the state of Commiefornia that fucked things up. Maybe it's any place that has the term "California" in it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were worried about it before, yes even though it wouldn't have been a crime before this.

Years ago when I got my CCW, printing was a big no-no.  A year or so back I believe the printing section of the law was removed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Years ago when I got my CCW, printing was a big no-no.  A year or so back I believe the printing section of the law was removed.
View Quote

Printing was never an issue.  I think you might be referring to accidental exposure.  Such as the wind blowing your coat and exposing your weapon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Printing was never an issue.  I think you might be referring to accidental exposure.  Such as the wind blowing your coat and exposing your weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2-3 years back, when trying to get open carry forwarded at the capital, our loving NRA rep, Whitney O'Daniel, "gave us" a "flash clause" option (nothing but trying to make us think we were getting something) instead of just working to make OC 100% legal. The entire group of us stood there with him and our Senators and Reps that were working with us trying to get OC moved forward, and told them "NO! We do not want a flash clause!"  We were told the OC portion of the bill that year would kill it, and we would get nothing. We said "All or nothing, so no flash clause."

We got a flash clause.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that sounds right. I was just a bit off!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I just ran across this a few minutes ago. Is anyone here going? It looked like there will be a decent amount of people attending according to their FB page.  I'm  hoping this doesn't get spun by the media to make us look bad.

St. Louis OC Walk
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just ran across this a few minutes ago. Is anyone here going? It looked like there will be a decent amount of people attending according to their FB page.  I'm  hoping this doesn't get spun by the media to make us look bad.

St. Louis OC Walk
View Quote

Don't hold your breath on the whole "make us look bad" concern.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Louis OC Walk

Oh I'm not.  I'm sure the antis will spin it to their liking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
While I support OC I think an OC walk is some stupid shit. OC if you want,but I don't care who you are I can get your gun. Most intelligent,and safest method of carry is concealed..Do as you will..If you want to educate the community become a trainer and teach those who don't know the law.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While I support OC I think an OC walk is some stupid shit. OC if you want,but I don't care who you are I can get your gun. Most intelligent,and safest method of carry is concealed..Do as you will..If you want to educate the community become a trainer and teach those who don't know the law.
View Quote

While I prefer CC myself, I certainly support OC. I just hope this doesn't get spun by the media like the OC demonstrations in TX. I'm already hearing and seeing  numerous reports on the upcoming march on the radio and internet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Louis OC Walk

And I'm also sure plenty of the "pros" will give them spin material.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Louis OC Walk

I'm also wondering if we will see any sort of counter demonstration from Moms Demand or the Brady crowd.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone seen any updated news stories about this yet?  

I'm teaching a class and haven't had a chance to check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top