Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 3:26:42 PM EDT
I am curious what the legalities of shipping long guns is if you are the one receiving them?  Say I ship myself a rifle from MO to NV 2 day or overnight, fly out there and then receive it?  what if it is an NFA item? or a handgun?  The checked bags lines at southwest at MCI keep getting longer and longer in the morning and I am seeing if I can bypass some of it if I didn't have to check firearms.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can ship to yourself.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
View Quote

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
actually thought the answer would be no....

thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
To add to that...

UPS and FedEx both require firearms to be shipped next day air.

USPS will ONLY ship long guns, unless you have an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]

UPS requires handguns to be shipped next day air.  Long Rifles are OK ground.  You can not ship it out of a UPS store unless they don't know what it is.  That could cause a problem with insurance claims.  Otherwise you have to take it to the hub or have a pickup done.

I'm in negotiations with UPS right now and just talked to a rep about it.

FedEx has a corporate policy that eludes that they really only ship to FFL holders or manufacturer's.

USPS will but I wouldn't trust them and they will screw you on a insurance claim.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

USPS will but I wouldn't trust them and they will screw you on a insurance claim.

View Quote

I ship firearms through USPS all the time. I haven't had a problem yet. The Postal Service is, in fact, my preferred shipper.

I also receive firearms at my shop on an almost daily basis. The only times I've had real trouble were UPS shipments, but in both cases I fault the seller, who packed the gun poorly. And that's the key: pack the gun so that it can't move around inside the box and it is protected from outside impacts (particularly from drops on either end). Insure it for full value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top