Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 11:10:09 PM EDT
A Ruger 10/22 Takedown .22 Caliber Rifle has been in my arsenal for several years now.  A YHM Mite .22 Caliber Suppressor has been in my toolbox for even longer.  So, the obvious action was to mate the two tools and let each one compliment the other.  But, the dilemma...  The 10/22 TD wasn't threaded.  So, in steps a local, small business gunsmith - Mike @ Eagle Eye in Wentzville.  This gunsmith does amazing work, he even gave me more than I imagined and at an extremely reasonable price.  

I asked for a barrel cut to 16.1" with recrown, threaded end for a Mite and a thread protector.  What I picked up was this...

The barrel was cut to 16.1", which removed the factory front sight base and blade.  The smith then threaded the end of the barrel and machined the factory front sight base with blade into the thread protector.  I did not ask for the front sight base to be utilized as the thread protector and was pleasantly surprised to find that it had been used as such.  

Needless to say, I was more than pleased with the work.  Then, came the time to pay for the work and the total was unbelievably low for the amount of work done.

So, what was left to do?  Simple...  the suppressor screws on the end of the barrel, add some subsonic .22 LR and you have one heck of an ultimate homestead firearm!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
fucking fantastic!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that's going the extra mile
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice!

I'll have to keep him in mind for when I get my hands on a Mini Uzi and need the barrel cut down.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to know!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Right on. Will keep him in mind on things.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Mike is WELL known in the NFA world as a super skilled smith.  I don't think there's anything he can't do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I use to have Mike thread my barrels back when he had his own suppressor manufacturing business.  The first suppressors I purchased were his Triple X cans.  Those were back before you could have suppressors in MO so we had to get demo letters to demo them to PD's.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mike is WELL known in the NFA world as a super skilled smith.  I don't think there's anything he can't do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That is impressive!  So, since no one else asked and I have no clue....is the thread protector/front site indexed so that when you screw it on it "returns to zero"?  Not sure if that's even possible, but very cool none the less.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone!  I am more than pleased with the work and would definitely recommend him.  What he did with the front sight base, having worked in manufacturing/machining environments, without request, skillfully and quickly is not a fluke/one-off in my book.  

By the way, suppressors are being manufactured at Eagle Eye as well.

nturavrgcop,

Yes, the front sight is and does index correctly.  It appears that the end of the thread protector/sight base was faced until it indexed with the rear sight.  Granted, I don't use the open sights on the rifle, but the option is there as a backup if needed.  Unless he got lucky, this fitment took some patience and time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work!

Successful machinists are the ones who paid attention in math classes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Now that's some slick thinking outside the box. Nice job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#13]

I dropped off a sub 2000 today to get the barrel threaded.

Your words are encouraging and his work is awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top