Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 9:56:33 AM EDT
I received a post card in the mail the other day from DOR to renew my ID card that has my CCW on it.

I looked at the ID card and while the ID itself doesn't expire for a couple of months, my CCW expires in a week.

I thought the Sheriff's department was supposed to send out a reminder?  Or am I just imagining things...

Also, I renewed my CCW last time in Sep of 2011, so it expires Sep of 2014 - at some point it changed from 3 years to five years, so is my CCW actually good for 2 more years, or does it change to 5 at next renewal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I received a post card in the mail the other day from DOR to renew my ID card that has my CCW on it.

I looked at the ID card and while the ID itself doesn't expire for a couple of months, my CCW expires in a week.

I thought the Sheriff's department was supposed to send out a reminder?  Or am I just imagining things...

Also, I renewed my CCW last time in Sep of 2011, so it expires Sep of 2014 - at some point it changed from 3 years to five years, so is my CCW actually good for 2 more years, or does it change to 5 at next renewal?
View Quote

Sheriff's have not been sending out renewal notices, and are not required to. I would imagine the DOR sent you a renewal notice because your ID expires in a couple of months, not because the CCW expires. They were never required to send renewal notices and probably did because the ID expired in the same time frame. So they will no longer have to send renewal notices on expiring CCW's.

5 years goes into effect with your next renewal, so no you don't have 2 extra years before you renew. Expiration date is expiration date.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

Now I just need to come up with $50 in the next week...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You are welcome.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
another quick question...

I obtained my CCW from FL about 18 months ago,  b/c of the hog wash of 'monitoring' by the MO DOR.

As I understand it, that has changed.  

But,

What assurances do I have of that?

Not more copies of records?  No more tracking or reporting?  

I have several friends who are still skeptical and I cannot convince them to get MO CCWs at this point.  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I obtained my CCW from FL about 18 months ago,  b/c of the hog wash of 'monitoring' by the MO DOR.

But,

I have several friends who are still skeptical and I cannot convince them to get MO CCWs at this point.  

Thanks,

View Quote

Life is a gamble at best. Walking out your front door can open you up to a drive by shooting. And so it is with personal information these days. Weather it be DOR or the sheriff's office providing information about you to some other goberment office or the media. As much  as I do not like the idea that someone is sharing information about me and my status of having a CCW. I rather be able to protect myself out on the street than worry about the data sharing. I suppose each of us need to decide which is more important.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Life is a gamble at best. Walking out your front door can open you up to a drive by shooting. And so it is with personal information these days. Weather it be DOR or the sheriff's office providing information about you to some other goberment office or the media. As much  as I do not like the idea that someone is sharing information about me and my status of having a CCW. I rather be able to protect myself out on the street than worry about the data sharing. I suppose each of us need to decide which is more important.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But,

Thanks,

I get all that, the only guarantee in life is God's Love for us.  

My question is:  after the faux pas and changes...

Are the new guidelines such that the sheriffs' offices suppose to not create a central data base for the whole state and aren't suppose to report the information to third parties?  

I'm going to protect myself and my loved ones.  

I'm going to do it legally, if at all possible.  

I'm going to do it as discretely as possible as well.  Hence, my question.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are the new guidelines such that the sheriffs' offices suppose to not create a central data base for the whole state and aren't suppose to report the information to third parties?  

Thanks,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But,

Thanks,

Thanks,

There is now a penalty if the information is released.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But,

Thanks,

Thanks,

A slap on the wrist? Or one between the eyes? Or somewhere between? can ya give us a hint Rob?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Penalty found in Chapter 571.101 Subsection 9 (2) that says: "Any person who violates the provisions of this subdivision by disclosing protected information shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor."

This was already a part of the law. I do not remember when it was enacted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Been in there a while I know.
A class A misdemeanor is punishable by a upto 1year imprisonment and a 1000  dollar fine.
When the whole DOR fiasco was going on, I contacted my representatives and suggested they fine the guilty parties 1 dollar and 1 day imprisonment. For each violation ----- each CCW holder.

160,000+ CCW holders = 160,000+ dollar fine and 160,000+ days in jail.
We got nothing.

Edit to add: I would have settled for them to give me my damn dollar, and let me poke the guilty party in the eye with a stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top