Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 5:56:22 PM EDT
OMG - when did they do all this? Full on, concrete barriers and benches. Everything was really nice. Free targets. Only $3/hr. Yeah, it sorta sucks you have to go at their pace, and its for aimed shooting, not plinking. But I was trying to group stuff with a scope, so it was fine. I really liked it, will be back

The only bad thing is some jackass was shooting my target  WTF, retard? I was the only one on that quarter of the range shooting at 100 yards. And  I saw you hit the target post. I mentioned it to the volunteer RO, but I couldn't figure out who it was.

Oh well - everyone else was cool, and there were at least a half dozen ARs there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That happened to me once when I was testing handloads.  I hadn't even started shooting yet.

But at least she figured it out and told me before I started and was very apologetic.  I had the other side of the target I could use.

My cousin has had some people doing it w/o giving a shit.  Very annoying when testing.

I was more surprised that half of the booths were closed off for maybe the rest of the season and that there may be a two-hour time limit when going out.  That may go to one-hour during the sight-in times (in October?).
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only left there because of other shooters once - family group with belligerent grandpa, muzzled the line more than once, got in an argument with the RO, berated his wife for not wanting to shoot, and the grandkids started playing video games on their phones loud enough to be heard through my ear pro from two booths away. It was hot and humid and I was tired so I packed up and left.

Other than that... if you can deal with punching paper and don't want to mag dump, it's a great facility. Just wish it had another 300yd to work with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The range at Busch Wildlife if closing down January 1st to get remodeled and as far as I can figure it will be essentially the same as Lake City. How do you all like the overhead baffles and bullet traps?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The Jay Henges range by StL is the same. One of the cleanest ranges I've seen around. For sighting in and working up some handloads, it's a great place. Wonder if all the MO DNR ranges are build as carbon copies?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Jay Henges range by StL is the same. One of the cleanest ranges I've seen around. For sighting in and working up some handloads, it's a great place. Wonder if all the MO DNR ranges are build as carbon copies?
View Quote

All very similar. I've shot at Parma Woods and it's a close copy of the Lake City setup.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I shot a Parma woods once. And it was nice. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky to live in a state that has some decent shooting facilities. I'll just pretend all my state tax dollars goes to them.

I like how they have the overhead baffles, no way for you to screw up and sent a around out of the range.

As for idiots, private ranges tend to cut them down, but no place is immune. At least they don't seem to take too much shit there. I like informal plinking, but if I am going for tight groups its a nice place. Might try out the pistol range some time or the skeet range. Haven't shot skeet in forever.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All very similar. I've shot at Parma Woods and it's a close copy of the Lake City setup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say the new Lake City is a copy of Parma.  Parma is very nice, and was built around 2000 or so.  I quit going there once they started running more like Lake City though, and then the whole magnet on a bullet, not trusting me to actually have reloads for my AK, etc.  That was the last time I went to a public range, and that was.....shit, 10 years ago now.  (Granted, the time before that was the time an old man decided to go change his target while the line was actively firing.  So, guess I can't really blame how MO runs the place.  Glad I go to private clubs now!)

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would say the new Lake City is a copy of Parma.  Parma is very nice, and was built around 2000 or so.  I quit going there once they started running more like Lake City though, and then the whole magnet on a bullet, not trusting me to actually have reloads for my AK, etc.  That was the last time I went to a public range, and that was.....shit, 10 years ago now.  (Granted, the time before that was the time an old man decided to go change his target while the line was actively firing.  So, guess I can't really blame how MO runs the place.  Glad I go to private clubs now!)

View Quote

I've never had the staff at LC magnet my ammo. Besides, I just keep a box of XM193 on top.

I'm considering joining a private range, just haven't decided which/made time for a visit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't particularly like the "one shot every 3-5 seconds" rule, but the RO's seem to keep a pretty good watch over things which makes me feel slightly better about some jackdick doing something stupid....and they've never berated me for not showing my "paperwork" for something I am shooting out there, unlike an unnamed indoor range to the west of there that made a big ol scene about it.

I'll go there to sight things in at known ranges or take a newb to the range but if anyone in east kc had something better and more private I'm all ears
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#10]
LC was built about 6 years ago.  The new Busch range will probably have AR 500 steel baffles instead of the concrete baffles-IF we can get it through the budget process.  The steel will be a lot less maintenance on the area staff.  

As far as the un-manned ranges, the high volume ones will eventually be converted to be like Golden Valley or Rock Fork Lakes once construction is done.

And don't bitch to me about how they run the range, I am just the guy that designs them the way the shooting range people at MDC wants them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't particularly like the "one shot every 3-5 seconds" rule, but the RO's seem to keep a pretty good watch over things which makes me feel slightly better about some jackdick doing something stupid....and they've never berated me for not showing my "paperwork" for something I am shooting out there, unlike an unnamed indoor range to the west of there that made a big ol scene about it.

I'll go there to sight things in at known ranges or take a newb to the range but if anyone in east kc had something better and more private I'm all ears
View Quote
Assuming you are talking about the facility next to IPL, what trouble did they give you?  I've never seen anyone bothered for NFA items.  They do police for steel ammo though.  They've had too many instances of splatter striking shooters.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LC was built about 6 years ago.  The new Busch range will probably have AR 500 steel baffles instead of the concrete baffles-IF we can get it through the budget process.  The steel will be a lot less maintenance on the area staff.  

As far as the un-manned ranges, the high volume ones will eventually be converted to be like Golden Valley or Rock Fork Lakes once construction is done.

And don't bitch to me about how they run the range, I am just the guy that designs them the way the shooting range people at MDC wants them.
View Quote

I'm not trying to be a kiss-ass, but I appreciate having the option of the MDC ranges..

... but I did join a real range anyway
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you saying that Rocky Fork Lakes will become a supervised range?

And, if you have any influence, I don't think that five trap / skeet overlays will be enough.

All of the supervised ranges would be used more if they were open more than 30 hours per week.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And, if you have any influence, I don't think that five trap / skeet overlays will be enough.

All of the supervised ranges would be used more if they were open more than 30 hours per week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope I didn't ever say that we are currently making Rocky Fork Lakes a manned range, Rocky Fork Lakes is not going to be a manned range (yet, but the idea has been thrown around to have a vendor be at the range at some point in the future to sell ammo, ear plugs, etc.. and to keep an eye on the range, but has been denied by the powers that be).  It is getting taller berms and shooting pavilions that force the shooter to fire from the bench (if the person fires from the firing line).  No standing, no kneeling, no prone.  This will make it so that the shooter, shooting from the bench, cannot see the sky-the shooter can only see the range floor, the targets and the backstop (and the roof of the shooting pavilion).  

I have no influence on policy, I am an engineer and design and oversee the building of what the big wigs at MDC want.  And as far as the 30 hours per week being open, I have nothing to do with that (see my above post about not bitching to me about how they are run).

The department had to do this because there are too many jack holes (and we have all seen them at public ranges) who shoot all over the place and have no idea about keeping their rounds sent downrange in the range.  Prior to this the department had agents go out there dressed as joe schmoe issuing citations to violators for four months in an attempt to get people to use the range in accordance with the posted rules, but to no avail.

On the pistol side there are four seated bench shooting positions, and there are two standing positions.  Also, on the pistol side there will be target stands provided by the department that can be placed into holes cut into the concrete floor at different distances from the shooter at both the seated and standing positions (and yes we are aware that these will be stolen, thrown into the woods, dumped into the lake, tossed on the roof of the firing lines, sexually abused, etc..).

With any luck (read if the weather doesn't wash out half of the new backstops) the range will be open before October, but with the weather we got this weekend that is a big if.  

I am going out there on Wednesday to do a punch list inspection with the contractor and if all looks good they will get on the remaining items to touch up and it will be ready for use real soon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope I didn't ever say that we are currently making Rocky Fork Lakes a manned range, Rocky Fork Lakes is not going to be a manned range (yet, but the idea has been thrown around to have a vendor be at the range at some point in the future to sell ammo, ear plugs, etc.. and to keep an eye on the range, but has been denied by the powers that be).  It is getting taller berms and shooting pavilions that force the shooter to fire from the bench (if the person fires from the firing line).  No standing, no kneeling, no prone.  This will make it so that the shooter, shooting from the bench, cannot see the sky-the shooter can only see the range floor, the targets and the backstop (and the roof of the shooting pavilion).  

I have no influence on policy, I am an engineer and design and oversee the building of what the big wigs at MDC want.  And as far as the 30 hours per week being open, I have nothing to do with that (see my above post about not bitching to me about how they are run).

The department had to do this because there are too many jack holes (and we have all seen them at public ranges) who shoot all over the place and have no idea about keeping their rounds sent downrange in the range.  Prior to this the department had agents go out there dressed as joe schmoe issuing citations to violators for four months in an attempt to get people to use the range in accordance with the posted rules, but to no avail.

On the pistol side there are four seated bench shooting positions, and there are two standing positions.  Also, on the pistol side there will be target stands provided by the department that can be placed into holes cut into the concrete floor at different distances from the shooter at both the seated and standing positions (and yes we are aware that these will be stolen, thrown into the woods, dumped into the lake, tossed on the roof of the firing lines, sexually abused, etc..).

With any luck (read if the weather doesn't wash out half of the new backstops) the range will be open before October, but with the weather we got this weekend that is a big if.  

I am going out there on Wednesday to do a punch list inspection with the contractor and if all looks good they will get on the remaining items to touch up and it will be ready for use real soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
I only use Rocky Fork when I visit relatives in Columbia.  Didn't know a remodel was happening.
Not bitching at you, just frustrated.  The department has some great facilities that are not utilized to their potential.  From the outside looking in, it seems MDC is not willing to staff to the level necessary to operate more than 6 hours per day, five days per week.  Working folk just can't  get to the range before the 4 p.m. closing. Some lighting for evening use might alleviate some of the weekend crowds.   Staying open one night per week for just four months doesn't scratch the surface of the potential public benefit.
Thanks again. And I hope the construction estimate of 24 months is accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top