Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 11:04:39 AM EDT
Just a heads up.  There is going to be a large gun auction in Troy, MO August 14-17.  A local business owner passed away and his collection of over 800 firearms will be auctioned.  There is a catalog in the link below.

http://thornhillauction.com/2014/07/virginia-thompson-auction-late-donald-thompson-sr/
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy Shit.  That place is going to be a zoo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy Shit.  That place is going to be a zoo.
View Quote

Yep. Just skimmed the catalog. What a variety... all the way from Hi-Point C9 pistols to a Krieghoff 5-barrel matched set.
$20 admission, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
OH man there is some nice stuff there.

Help me out - is that Broom Handled Mauser with the wood stock considered a C&R and not under the NFA as an SBR?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. It's a non-NFA C&R.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All buyers will be photographed...

Fuck yes!!! $20 Glamour Shots!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
That's quite a collection.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF $20 to get in, AND they want to take your picture?  Bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Last Estate auction I went too had the family or friends of the family in the crowd bidding the price of the guns up.

They did this with almost every piece.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw it in the local paper. Do bad I'm broke.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know of any auctioneer service that does not photograph bidders plus get their name and address.  If you want to buy a gun at a Thornhill auction you will sign a Bill of sale and give up your SSN.

The admission fee is bull, but I will study the sale bills for Friday and Sunday to learn whether I need to buy something.  I saw a mention of an admission fee on the web site notice, but not a number.  Kind of big for their britches.  I wonder if they will get a proxi bid set up, I have never seen one at their auctions.    If so, that changes the nature of the auction considerably.

I have told auctioneers about shill bidding.   The reputable guys stop it and restart the bid.  Some will claim the family has to bid the same as everyone else.  One required a loud and public comment when the guns his shills bought were in the auction the following day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know of any auctioneer service that does not photograph bidders plus get their name and address.  If you want to buy a gun at a Thornhill auction you will sign a Bill of sale and give up your SSN.

The admission fee is bull, but I will study the sale bills for Friday and Sunday to learn whether I need to buy something.  I saw a mention of an admission fee on the web site notice, but not a number.  Kind of big for their britches.  I wonder if they will get a proxi bid set up, I have never seen one at their auctions.    If so, that changes the nature of the auction considerably.

I have told auctioneers about shill bidding.   The reputable guys stop it and restart the bid.  Some will claim the family has to bid the same as everyone else.  One required a loud and public comment when the guns his shills bought were in the auction the following day.

I have been to several auctions and I have NEVER had to have my picture taken, and I have NEVER had to give my SSN.  I have been to gun auctions at Loli Bros in Macon and I had to show my DL to get registered, but that's about it.  I have always had to register for an auction, and that I understand, but no pic and no SSN.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:00:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lolli Brothers require a 4473 for every firearm bought at one of their sales.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been to several auctions and I have NEVER had to have my picture taken, and I have NEVER had to give my SSN.  I have been to gun auctions at Loli Bros in Macon and I had to show my DL to get registered, but that's about it.  I have always had to register for an auction, and that I understand, but no pic and no SSN.

Lolli Brothers require a 4473 for every firearm bought at one of their sales.

Right, and last time I checked (just got a gun last month) you don't have to submit a photograph or your SSN for a 4473.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you use a  FBI identification number, or sit out the delay?

Fact is, you have not attended many estate auctions in this region if they did not take your photo before issuing a voter's number.  You're going to really hate an auction that requires a letter of credit from a bank.

You should log off here and delete all email and social media accounts to preserve what remains of your privacy.  Probably should stop driving, cancel phone and internet accounts, and stop paying taxes, too.
View Quote

Personally I have never been delayed due to not putting my SSN on a 4473.

Shit, now I just jinxed myself...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you use a  FBI identification number, or sit out the delay?

Fact is, you have not attended many estate auctions in this region if they did not take your photo before issuing a voter's number.  You're going to really hate an auction that requires a letter of credit from a bank.

You should log off here and delete all email and social media accounts to preserve what remains of your privacy.  Probably should stop driving, cancel phone and internet accounts, and stop paying taxes, too.
View Quote

Never been delayed even one second on a 4473 for not putting my ssn down on the form.  

And yes I have been so several estate auctions, but I am glad that you know what I do day to day because you are so darned smart.  And I don't need a credit form from a bank because I only ever use cash.

Thanks for the advice.  I love a smartass.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
How did the bidding go?

Ive given up trying to get guns at auction as its getting pretty rare to get good deals that way.
Around SWMO, auction prices are about 1.5-2x retail most of the time.
Ive watched a new england arms single shot 410 go for 400 and a hipoint c9 go for 250.
Might be a bit different at an auction where the buyers all have to pass a BG check though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#20]
The last good deal I got at a gun auction was probably 8 years ago up in Macon.  I got a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift for $440.

And they didn't even take my picture. (I did fill out a 4473).
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The engraved custom Marlin lever action brought $17750.
View Quote

Time to sell gramps turddy-turddy!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top