Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2014 3:48:02 PM EDT
If there were only one room in a house the would have cigarettes smoked in it, what would you use to keep the stench out of the rest of the house? I know almost nothing about these purifiers, but I'm hoping there's something affordable that works.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sharp currently makes the best consumer home units I've ever used.  Check out the Sharp FPA60UW.  It's worth the $.

I'm not impressed at all with the last couple generations of Honeywell units, and nothing else below $500 can touch the Sharp.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That's going to be rough. I run a Honeywell True HEPA filter (50250) and it works well for keeping air pollen counts low, but I doubt even something like that would get rid of enough of the cigarette smoke if you're actively smoking in the room.

Best solution: get fan by window, blow into fan...

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll check into that Sharp. Thanks.

I may be combining households, with my daughter, SIL, and grand kids; and SIL smokes. Cigarette smoke makes me puke, and I also can't stand the nasty smell on everything.

We only have two issues with this move, and smoking is one of them. (My poor internet service here is the other). lol

Edit - Wildblue, on a data cap. You can't do much, without getting your speed throttled way down.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an ionizer air purifier.  It was very good at taking the smoke smell out of the air.  The smoke left a deposit on the "blades" to be wiped off.  No filter to replace.  I can't think of the brand name but I think they went out of business.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Do UV Lights work for tobacco odor removal?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Still researching, so I appreciate all the help. The topic of only smoking e-cigs in the house has been brought up too, so we're also looking into that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'll check into that Sharp. Thanks.

I may be combining households, with my daughter, SIL, and grand kids; and SIL smokes. Cigarette smoke makes me puke, and I also can't stand the nasty smell on everything.

We only have two issues with this move, and smoking is one of them. (My poor internet service here is the other). lol

Edit - Wildblue, on a data cap. You can't do much, without getting your speed throttled way down.

View Quote

The Smoking, this is an easy one...  Have SIL. Smoke outside, till he can afford his own place to Smoke in, if he wants.

I was with a woman for 18 years, even in the dead of winter, she never smoked a single cig in the house... I never said a thing about it, she did it out of respect for me and the house and the others in it...

My new G/f smokes outside too, even at her own house... She has an ash tray and smoking chair on the front porch.. I asked her, she never smokes in the house.

Problem solved.

The internet, that one is not so easy...  I'm trying to figure that one out myself, so when I move to the country, I can stay connected...  

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do UV Lights work for tobacco odor removal?
View Quote

I don't see how it's possible.

UV kills bacteria.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Good news; he's going to smoke the e-cigs inside, and only smoke real ones outside. He may even use it as an incentive to quit.

I'm making park of the driveway wider and straighter, because people without 4WD tend to have trouble getting in here, and that requires contacting DigRite (which I did today). There's one of those green phone post deals near the driveway, and they're sending CenturyLink out to mark where the buried phone lines are.  I intend to be out there, saying something like *Since you're here, can check to see if internet will work...*

Just so I haven't given the wrong impression; they've had their own house for 12 years, and combining was my idea. Their house will be taken over by the older kids (mostly my grand daughter, who just got married this month), while my daughter and SIL will bring the two younger kids here. We'll pitch in together here, and when I croak my daughter will be half owner along with her brother. My life ins will pay it off, so it's up them whether they stay together or one buys the other out. If Brad does what we think he's going to do after college, he'll be gone most of the time doing IT stuff anyway.

Their house is smaller than mine, with a family of seven, while I have 2,378sqft for just Brad and me (and he's about to head back to college). These are exciting times around here.

Thanks again for the help. It's part of what made him change to just smoking outside, rather than spending hundreds on something that likely wouldn't work anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The internet, that one is not so easy...  I'm trying to figure that one out myself, so when I move to the country, I can stay connected...  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We only have two issues with this move... (My poor internet service here is the other). lol

If CenturyLink doesn't come through, Brad found another possibility;

http://radiowire.net/

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
IQAIR are really good filters many 3rd party tests to prove it, i have one myself

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/air-purifiers.html

these guys are really good also they dont over rate and they test the units.

for furnace filter i use Nordic Pure (i use the MERV 13 filters but my system can handle it) they have ones with carbon in them for smells also
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IQAIR are really good filters many 3rd party tests to prove it, i have one myself

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/air-purifiers.html

these guys are really good also they dont over rate and they test the units.

for furnace filter i use Nordic Pure (i use the MERV 13 filters but my system can handle it) they have ones with carbon in them for smells also
View Quote

forinternet see if they have service on sprint

http://millenicom.com/

i used them on verizon and get 20GB + static IP for $99 a month (MUCH cheaper than from verizon) if you cna get sprint you can get the unlimited plan

we get the 4Glte and its verfast usall 6MB down and 3 up and 15mb down and 6 up if i go outside (i really need to get my antennae up)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
We're down a hill, almost to the creek bottoms, so service is limited. The only cell signal that consistently gets through is US Cellular. (They have a tower less than five miles away, right by the high school).

I contacted Radio Wire today, and within two weeks they're supposed to come out and do a test to see if their signal reaches here.

We're also wondering if their service is faster than satellite, because they say their speeds are;

Basic: $45.00/month

2 MB download and 1 MB

upload.

My son tells me MB is MegaBYTES, where WildBlue gives us up to seven Mb MegaBITS which is less than one MB. If I can get something $10 per month cheaper, and go from 7Mb to 16Mb, I'm going to jump on it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We're down a hill, almost to the creek bottoms, so service is limited. The only cell signal that consistently gets through is US Cellular. (They have a tower less than five miles away, right by the high school).

I contacted Radio Wire today, and within two weeks they're supposed to come out and do a test to see if their signal reaches here.

We're also wondering if their service is faster than satellite, because they say their speeds are;

Basic: $45.00/month

2 MB download and 1 MB
                                   upload.

My son tells me MB is MegaBYTES, where WildBlue gives us up to seven Mb MegaBITS which is less than one MB. If I can get something $10 per month cheaper, and go from 7Mb to 16Mb, I'm going to jump on it.

View Quote

any service on the ground is faster. why? because it has to travel 20-30 thousand miles one way or 40-60 thousand miles round trip to get to you, the pages load fast but there is 2-4 second delay every time to click to load a page.

your ping times i'm guessing are about 1800ms (average can range from 1000-2500, the best sat link I have ever seen was 750ms)  where my 4gLTE is about 35-40ms witch is about the same as dsl/cable maybe 10ms slower

charter stop cable less then a mile from my house like 3000 feet...... they refuse to hook me up :(

also 90% of the time you can put a antatta and booster on a pole or on top your house and you will be able to get verizon and other carriers, they even have boosters that will make your own little cell tower for you house !

check out the 3g store  that stuff

PS i do IT for a living

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top