Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 8:22:17 PM EDT
So my company just got purchased and the only job openings seem to be in the St Louis / St Peters area.

Tell me about the area, shooting, hunting, fishing. Any good restaurants. What is life in MO like?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my company just got purchased and the only job openings seem to be in the St Louis / St Peters area.

Tell me about the area, shooting, hunting, fishing. Any good restaurants. What is life in MO like?
View Quote

May St. Peter's fall in to the burning pit of Hell

(My mother-in-law lives there)
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure Ultimate Defense is in St. Pete, I've never been there but I have yet to hear any complaints. I know a ton of people that go there often & love it though. Lots of restaurants, Busch Wildlife is close for some fishing.  I think you have to apply for a managed hunt to hunt there (deadline is July 31), but if the reports I've heard are true, I hear there's some huge deer there for the taking. People are friendly so won't be long before you can chat someone up with some property where you can hunt. St. Peter's is a nice area, you could do much worse
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a nice area. About 30 from downtown St. Louis.  Very safe area.

Id move there.

Missouri is a pretty kick ass state with regards to shooting and outdoors activity.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Nice area(s), plenty to do for yourself and family.  Good eats, shopping abound, basspro nearby and cabelas not that far either.

Excellent public school districts with plenty of private too.

Don't live in St.Peters, but live in O'Fallon, which is just as nice and borders St. Peters.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Nice area(s), plenty to do for yourself and family.  Good eats, shopping abound, basspro nearby and cabelas not that far either.

Excellent public school districts with plenty of private too.

Don't live in St.Peters, but live in O'Fallon, which is just as nice and borders St. Peters.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you come here, look over the county, not just St. Peters, the communities all run together.

View Quote

Agreed!
St. Peter's is great, but don't overlook the neighbors.
MO is great for all the other reasons already listed in other posts.
Good luck in your search for a job and home!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all for your replies, the wife was getting worried about the crime rating of St Louis but from what it sounds like once your are outside it is a great place to raise a kid.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Night and day difference between the City of St. Louis and St. Charles County.  They aren't all that close in distance, either.

The City of St. Louis and St. Louis County are separate political entities.  In other words, the City is not part of the County.  St. Louis County has areas that are as bad as the city, but for the most part it's safe, especially outside the I-270 loop.

View Quote

The city country seperationt really screws us on crime stats bc  of that seperation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The city country seperationt really screws us on crime stats bc  of that seperation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Night and day difference between the City of St. Louis and St. Charles County.  They aren't all that close in distance, either.

The City of St. Louis and St. Louis County are separate political entities.  In other words, the City is not part of the County.  St. Louis County has areas that are as bad as the city, but for the most part it's safe, especially outside the I-270 loop.

I was just in baltimore last week. Ten times more ghetto but bc they have decent areas in the county they done get so hosed on crime stats.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

good to know,

housing is so reasonable out there, not like NoVA.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's a shot up the Jack's Fork River Valley in South Central Missouri looking to the southwest:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66528

The river is about 500 feet just below where I'm standing.  Much of southern Missouri looks like this and at locations not far from St. Peters.

A flying squirrel:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66177

One of my favorite places on the planet, on the upper Gasconade River in Wright County:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65691

Shooting Sporting Clays:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42245

View Quote

sweet thanks,

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Population of the city is barely over 300k (as of 2012) and continues to drop. If they included the county it would be over 2 million. When they did the rankings of the most dangerous cities St. Louis usually trades back and forth with Detroit for the #1 spot. However, in the same statistic, it's usually overlooked that O'Fallon, MO (St. Peter's friendly neighbor) is in the top 10 SAFEST places in the country to live. Just stay away from the north & east and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I regularly work in Richmond and St. Louis.  The main difference is you just tone down the southerness a bit and replace it with more midwesterness.  It's way less east cost political and for the most part everybody leaves you alone and and isnt in your business.

Your wife will change her mind when she sees the following areas.

St. Louis County
- Chesterfield
- Wildwood

St. Charles County
O Fallon
Dardienne Prairie
Lake St. Louis
Wentzville

Stick to those areas if you want neighborhood living.  Otherwise go another 10 minutes west and buy property.

PS: check www.udrange.com  its in St Peters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I regularly work in Richmond and St. Louis.  The main difference is you just tone down the southerness a bit and replace it with more midwesterness.  It's way less east cost political and for the most part everybody leaves you alone and and isnt in your business.

Your wife will change her mind when she sees the following areas.

St. Louis County
- Chesterfield
- Wildwood

St. Charles County
O Fallon
Dardienne Prairie
Lake St. Louis
Wentzville

Stick to those areas if you want neighborhood living.  Otherwise go another 10 minutes west and buy property.

PS: check www.udrange.com  its in St Peters.
View Quote

Nice range,  the wife says that she wants to fly out with me when I go for my interview. I have plans to check out all along I70 for housing. It looks as though I could sell my townhouse in VA and get a full size home that is fully paid off in Charles Co. I call that a huge bonus.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh no issues, living here.   There is a difference between St Charles and St Louis County and St Louis City.    St Charles is separated by a river from STL.    St Charles County is very Republican, low crime.  Some parts like St. Peters have a lot of  1/4  acre lots Mom Dad 2.5 kids and Mini Vans.  If you go into the Southern part of St Charles County, It goes to 3 acre Zoning and you also have Busch wild life and more land and the wineries.  When CCW first happened.  St Louis County and City did not want to issue permits and St Charles did.   But there are very nice parts of St Louis County that I would have no issue living in at all, just you have more liberals, but from NoVA, im sure you can relate.    Think you will find housing very affordable.   Do you have kids that need good schools?  Do you need to find a job?  

Think others already covers the clubs where you can join to shoot at.  If you have relo questions let me know I have been through 3 corporate moves.  Moved here about 8 years ago.  Gun laws are great here.  Taxes are good.  Only thing we bitch about is our CCW doesn't count as a NICS check.  (minor issue)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is the company near I-70 or I-64 / Highway 40?

If it's closer to 40, you can find some great places to live south of the highway.  However, there are great places located all over the region.  I live North of O'Fallon in a secluded area with low traffic; there's a house in the subdivision that is coming onto the market, and that is a rare occurrence here.

View Quote

I think they are just north of I-70. I got a call yesterday with a phone interview saying they will fly me out in the next 2 weeks for a formal interview. I like the idea of a large lot  after living in a townhouse.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#27]
North of 70 in St Peters. You can have 3 acres and still be to work in under 30 minutes in rush hour.    PM me if you want more info.  Happy to talk to you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
North of 70 in St Peters. You can have 3 acres and still be to work in under 30 minutes in rush hour.    PM me if you want more info.  Happy to talk to you.
View Quote

Thanks Paul, I'll hit you up when I know more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I live about 90 minutes or so NW of St. Peters. Come up 61 from Wentzville if you want to see some nice country. This was my sunrise at work:

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I live about 90 minutes or so NW of St. Peters. Come up 61 from Wentzville if you want to see some nice country. This was my sunrise at work:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10574254_331252463700557_5919433631081297663_n.jpg
View Quote

sweet, photography is my hobby so I plan some weekends taking some landscapes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top