Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:09:55 PM EDT
I'll be in Springfield for the next week. Looks like I'll be staying in about the center of the city. Any suggestions on good food? Any local specialties?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Bangkok City on Walnut St has some good food, with some different flavors than most Thai restaurants. Bambinos Cafe or Nonas for Italian.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like dessert, make sure and go to Andy's and Pineapple Whip.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Anton's for breakfast. It's on Glenstone just north of Grand.

Whole Hog is our go to BBQ joint.

Nona's downtown is pretty good but the south side one isn't, I prefer DiGiacinto's on Campbell for Italian.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Theres always Mexican Villa.......
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd second most of these recommendations.  I also like Jin's Korean.  It's south of Bass Pro if you're going to check out the NRA museum there.  The only downside is there are quite a few fairly common Korean dishes (even for a stateside restaurant) they don't offer.  If you find yourself hungry after most places are closed, George's Steakhouse has cheap greasy spoon food with a tex-mex bent.  I visited not all that long ago, and it looks like the usual suspects of drunk fratboys, strippers, cops, etc. must've found a new joint.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Although my wife being from here loves the place.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Well its not in Springfield but no trip down there would be complete without a visit to Lamberts Cafe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hush, you... We do not speak of that place!

Fine, I'll admit, I ate there once. Pretty sure the salsa was really ketchup with a little sawdust for filler.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fine, I'll admit, I ate there once. Pretty sure the salsa was really ketchup with a little sawdust for filler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love me some mexican villa......... its a shame you dont.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well its not in Springfield but no trip down there would be complete without a visit to Lamberts Cafe.
View Quote

Right here. Go hungry.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Right here. Go hungry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right here. Go hungry.

I always make sure I stop there if I'm in the area. I've certainly had better food, but the atmosphere dredges up childhood memories of eating at all those weird roadside country style restaurants with my parents. I love the pass arounds. Fried Okra!

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:20:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I always make sure I stop there if I'm in the area. I've certainly had better food, but the atmosphere dredges up childhood memories of eating at all those weird roadside country style restaurants with my parents. I love the pass arounds. Fried Okra!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right here. Go hungry.

Listen to these guys here and go to Lambert's. As was said, be sure to bring a healthy appetite.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks folks!

While Lambert's looks interesting (throwed rolls?), it's 4 hours away. I'll be working all day, so this'll be an evening dinner kinda thing only.

I'll be sure to avoid the Mexican Villa!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Jimm's place on Glenstone is good.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Ohana Japanese stead house just off the corner of S Campbell and Battlefield. Also another vote for Mexican Villa.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I would highly recommend you try out Hong Kong Inn on north Glenstone, and order Cashew Chicken.  It may not be the best food, but it is probably the only unique Springfield food on the list.  Cashew Chicken was invented in Springfield, so it’s the place to get it.  One thing, that restaurant is cash only, no credit or debit cards accepted.  Don't let the cheep interior and poor neighborhood fool you, it's the best local fair in my opinion.

Mexican food: I recommend Cielito Lindo, it’s good and the margaritas are the best in town.
Country food: Lamberts in Ozark is maybe a 20 minute drive, but the wait in line is usually long on the weekends.  
Italian: Bambinos Café gets my vote, it’s less well known than some of the others, but is my favorite.
Upscale: Ocean Zen and Fire and Ice are my recommendations.  The view from the tower club is great, but the food isn’t worth the price they ask in my opinion.
Desert: I’m not an Andy’s or pineapple whip fan, I say avoid them due to the cost. Pick up a six pack of Mother’s beer instead of a single desert from Andy’s.

Other entertainment:  I realize you didn’t ask for these, but here are some of the better places to hang out after 5:00.

Springfield Cardinals baseball: Low cost of admission, and decent talent level.
Mud Lounge: Coffee bar offering various alcohol coffee mixes.
Sound of Freedom Indoor range: Located in Ozark across the highway from Lamberts.
Andy Dalton Rifle Range: Enjoy one of Missouri’s cheap ranges funded by the federal excise tax on Ammo.  Cost is $3 per hour.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#20]
For upscale dining:

Avanzare
Metropolitan Farmer
Metropolitan Grill
Nicola's
Gilardi's
D'Arpinos

Are you looking for upscale, italian, good wine list, good cocktail menu, or what?

ETA:  Mexican Villa is fucking awesome,  but not for everyone.  If you didn't grow up eating it you probably won't like it.

I agree with the previous list for entertainment - and would add Scotch and Soda or J.O.B. for drinks.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Does Hemingway's still do the all you can eat crab legs on Friday? Dang that was tasty the last time I had it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Hard to beat the steak sandwich from Grad School downtown
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mexican Villa varies *wildly* by location.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They're referring to Lambert's in Ozark, not Sikeston!
View Quote

Yeah but the wait time will be about the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The brewery just off Walnut downtown is good, too.

Springfield Brewing Company on Market.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For upscale dining:

Avanzare
Metropolitan Farmer
Metropolitan Grill
Nicola's
Gilardi's
D'Arpinos

Are you looking for upscale, italian, good wine list, good cocktail menu, or what?

ETA:  Mexican Villa is fucking awesome,  but not for everyone.  If you didn't grow up eating it you probably won't like it.

I agree with the previous list for entertainment - and would add Scotch and Soda or J.O.B. for drinks.

WHAT ABOUT FLAME!!?? That's a great one,

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Touch and flame would be nice if you care for the upscale setting. On the other hand Jimms Steakhouse and Lounge is a lot of fun and great food/service
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Farmer's Gastropub, downtown, haven't been to the one across from the mall. Voted best English pub outside of Jolly Old England.
Haruno's for sushi
Jimm's or Doe's Eat Place for a steaks
Buckingham's BBQ across from BPS
The Grad School for burgers, downtown
Rosati's for good deep dish Chicago style pizza
Triple Eight Chinese food
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Farmer's Gastropub, downtown, haven't been to the one across from the mall. Voted best English pub outside of Jolly Old England.
Haruno's for sushi
View Quote

Farmer's downtown moved to their new location across from the mall at the beginning of the year. Bill is a great guy and runs a good establishment.

Doe's Eat Place has also been out of business since around the first of the year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Farmer's downtown moved to their new location across from the mall at the beginning of the year. Bill is a great guy and runs a good establishment.

Doe's Eat Place has also been out of business since around the first of the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haruno's for sushi

I didn't realize Farmer's moved the location, with all the work they put into authentic style decoration I figured they would be there awhile.
Damn shame about Doe's, shows how long it has been since I went here, was typically a summer thing if we were going to a ball game.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Where by the mall did Farmers move?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For upscale dining:

Avanzare
Metropolitan Farmer
Metropolitan Grill
Nicola's
Gilardi's
D'Arpinos

WHAT ABOUT FLAME!!?? That's a great one,

Fair enough.  Flame downtown and its sister restaurant,  Touch,  are great choices.  I prefer the patio at Touch during the summer,  and like to go to Flame over the winter.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I didn't realize Farmer's moved the location, with all the work they put into authentic style decoration I figured they would be there awhile.
Damn shame about Doe's, shows how long it has been since I went here, was typically a summer thing if we were going to a ball game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haruno's for sushi

Farmer's Gastropub is excellent,  but they put no work into the design of their old downtown location - the interior, bar, etc. was carried over from when the place was Ophelia's.

The new location is excellent - he gutted the location an
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where by the mall did Farmers move?
View Quote

The north end of the Brentwood Shopping Center,  just across Glenstone from Nakato.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#36]
That's right. I know the place. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Farmer's Gastropub is excellent,  but they put no work into the design of their old downtown location - the interior, bar, etc. was carried over from when the place was Ophelia's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haruno's for sushi

The Wilhoit Plaza location is still pretty much as they left it, I've been trying to get a loan package approved so we can move in and open up a taphouse.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#38]
My favorites.

1. Springfield Brewing Co. - damn fine brews.  Their unfiltered wheat is my favorite, it is spot-on for a hefeweizen from the Rheinland-Pfaltz.
2. Jim's Steak House and Pub. Look, this guy's steak is fucking amazing.  The cooks know what they're doing.  There are plenty of chain steak houses in town that are alright, but you're here for a night, go for great!
3. Springfield Family Restaurant.  Before I left and joined the army, this place on S. Campbell used to be called Ziggie's.   There still is a Ziggies on glennstone in some hotel, but it doesn't have the same dive flavor as the Family Restaurant on Campbell.  Great drunk food.
4. Nona's.  Located downtown, with a new location on S. National, this is the best wop food in town.  Better than some of the Italian joints I ate at in Europe outside of Italy.
5. Maria's.  Also downtown, this is our locally owned Mexican joint.  The food is good.  I debate in my head about the authentic aspect of the food, though, as at maria's my waiter speaks English.  There's some good places in town where the food is almost, if not as good as maria's, where you have to point on the menu for your waiter.  To me, that is real Mexican.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Last night was Hemingway's at the Bass Pro Shop. Definitely some cool guns, including a pistol belonging to Jesse James!
The food was just ok, the bread pudding with cream was the highlight.

Tonight I think it'll be Fire & Ice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Bamboo on Battlefield is pretty good.....more of an Asian type food.  The Pizza House down on Commercial is awesome!  Brewing Company has some good stuff.....
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hard to beat the steak sandwich from Grad School downtown
View Quote

one of the best burgers ive ever had was from there

Cheddars is really good too
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#42]
All you goons that are posting springfield eateries, why ain't we got an SGF shoot going at the pleasant hope range yet?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Or even just a meetup for beers and good food!?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This too.  Shiiit.

Look, I'm free most days, I'm separated, but trying to get back with my life, but I could definitely use some local Arfcommers to join me in turning $ into noise, or $ into good food.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This too.  Shiiit.

Look, I'm free most days, I'm separated, but trying to get back with my life, but I could definitely use some local Arfcommers to join me in turning $ into noise, or $ into good food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This too.  Shiiit.

I might be game depending on when and where.  I live 12 miles north of Marshfield so "running" to Springfield takes a while.  With job and family it's tough.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Second this. Very good beer and food. Fish and Chips is good there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I was eating at Whole Hog pretty regularly there for a while but lately it seems very hit or miss. I would recommend Enoch's on National if you're in the mood for BBQ. Some more Italian places that are really good, my two favorites, are Bruno's downtown and Di Giacinto's just South of Bass Pro. Peking House on Sunshine has been my go to for Chinese. Their General Chicken is really good.

I shoot at Pleasant Hope every couple of weeks. We do need to get an Arfcom meet-up going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top