Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2014 5:31:07 AM EDT

So my CCW permit is expiring, and I didn't realize they changed to appointment only.  I call to schedule my appointment and they're 4 weeks out on an available appointment, causing my permit to lapse and me unable to CCW.

WTF is this shit?  That's pretty much a "deny to carry" since they can't process my renewal in a timely manner.

BS if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Complain to the Sheriff, not us. This is why Jamison recommends renewing 45 days in advance of the permit expiring.

Also may I suggest getting an out-of-state permit for potential times like this. I know, more money and government bureaucracy.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The last time I tried to renew they wouldn't talk to me until <30 days out.

That's a good idea on the dual ccw I will probably do that so I don't have to mess with the Jackson County BS anymore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time I tried to renew they wouldn't talk to me until <30 days out.

That's a good idea on the dual ccw I will probably do that so I don't have to mess with the Jackson County BS anymore.
View Quote

Good point on the sheriff and 30 days out.

Arizona is $60 for 5 years and your current MoCCW training will cover their training requirements.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah its a catch 22.  They won't work with you until you're under 30 days out and the backlog is over 30 days
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been calling Jackson County Sheriff"s Office for two days trying to make an appointment. How did you go about it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been calling Jackson County Sheriff"s Office for two days trying to make an appointment. How did you go about it?
View Quote

Guess I got "lucky"

When you consider a county with the population of Jackson, with the amount of CCW holders and new applicants, I figure there aren't enough appointment slots in a month to service everyone requiring it.  The cynic in me wonders if that is intentional.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Guess I got "lucky"

When you consider a county with the population of Jackson, with the amount of CCW holders and new applicants, I figure there aren't enough appointment slots in a month to service everyone requiring it.  The cynic in me wonders if that is intentional.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I got "lucky"

You aren't the only cynic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I finally got an appointment. It is at the end of May...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been up there fairly often over the years for various things, and while there may have been a line, I was always taken care of in a reasonable amount of time and always on the same day I showed up....even with crotchety ol' Ron handling a lot of it.

Just kinda baffled here.

I'm going to apply for an AZ CCW permit as well, which will require fingerprints...and it's safe to say that I won't be trying to go to Jackson County Sheriff's Dept for that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been up there fairly often over the years for various things, and while there may have been a line, I was always taken care of in a reasonable amount of time and always on the same day I showed up....even with crotchety ol' Ron handling a lot of it.

Just kinda baffled here.

I'm going to apply for an AZ CCW permit as well, which will require fingerprints...and it's safe to say that I won't be trying to go to Jackson County Sheriff's Dept for that.
View Quote

I just requested an application packet so I can get an Arizona CCW permit too...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I would lodge a complaint with the Sheriff. I really like Mike and get along well with him, but until
he hears all the complaints and that he (Mike) is starting to look anti-gun and it may effect him
in the future "votes" nothing will change. Jackson Co. is large enough to have full time CCW
personnel. Sheriff Sharp has a email address on the Sheriff's website. I intend to discuss this with him
the next time I see him but until then, voice your complaints to him and when he receives enough I'm sure
he will fix this problem..
jmho..
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the problem right now is that the original group of CCW permit holders in Jackson County are all expiring at the same time. This large amount of renewals are overloading the current staff.

An hour and a half after requesting an Arizona CCW application package online, I received an email stating the application package has been shipped. I may get an Arizona permit before i get my Missouri permit renewed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the problem right now is that the original group of CCW permit holders in Jackson County are all expiring at the same time. This large amount of renewals are overloading the current staff.
View Quote

I kind of wondered about that....it's my second renewal and I thought I got in right after it started.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in Livingston county.  I stopped in to see about renewing today and was back outside at my bike and ready to leave 11 minutes after walking in.  2 or 3 minutes of that was BSing with the deputy that did the renewal...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
showoff
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It says on the sheriff's website that there is an appointment required.  I think it is dangerous.  If someone in the office wasn't friendly to CCW, then they could just make an appointment for one person per day to skirt the law.  I just wrote an e-mail to my MO rep asking his thoughts on it.  He's friendly to CCW, I think.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
When the Department of Revenue misbehaved and the legislature removed them from the process, most thought it would be better.  However, giving even more power to the local Sheriff should be concerning for some.  Jackson County, Boone County, St. Louis County, etc.  

There have always been inconsistencies among the different counties.  Back when the permit to purchase was still in effect, some counties would issue the day one applied, and others would make people wait the maximum time allowed by law.  

When concealed carry first went into effect, several sheriffs resisted the process.  Court orders were were required in some cases to get them to comply.

There are currently counties not following the law regarding instructor recognition.

So now Jackson County wants you to make an appointment four weeks in advance?  What's next?  Four months?  Four years?   Nothing will stop them from attempting it.  

So Jackson County has a huge population and there are a lot of people to accommodate. So what.  They also get a lot more tax revenue than other counties because of a bigger population.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So now Jackson County wants you to make an appointment four weeks in advance?  

View Quote

Well to be fair, they never requested 4 weeks in advance or any other deadline (other than they used to not talk to you until you were <30 days from expiration)....that's just the current backlog that I now have to deal with.  But yeah, theoretically that backlog could grow pretty long.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well to be fair, they never requested 4 weeks in advance or any other deadline (other than they used to not talk to you until you were <30 days from expiration)....that's just the current backlog that I now have to deal with.  But yeah, theoretically that backlog could grow pretty long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So now Jackson County wants you to make an appointment four weeks in advance?  

There is a guy on here who's sig-line was, or still is, "you are being lied to."
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not saying I am or am not being mislead, just wanted to give everyone else a heads up who will be renewing in the future.  I just happened to go to the website to check their hours and saw the new "appointment" policy otherwise I would've had no idea...I mistakenly assumed I could go up there (like I used to) at a time convenient to me, and get what I needed same day-ish.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#22]
On second thought, you may or may not being mislead about the backlog.

You think this trumped up appointment 'requirement', was designed to create this backlog ?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I talked to Donna at Jackson County the other day about the statewide system, I asked her about their backlog on applying. She said they have had a lot of applications and renewals, she also stated that the other person who had been helping her had quit and she was trying to get a new person trained. I had another guy complain about not being able to get thru on the phone, not sure why that is because when I call she answered right away.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I talked to Donna at Jackson County the other day about the statewide system, I asked her about their backlog on applying. She said they have had a lot of applications and renewals, she also stated that the other person who had been helping her had quit and she was trying to get a new person trained. I had another guy complain about not being able to get thru on the phone, not sure why that is because when I call she answered right away.
View Quote

I got someone (Donna?) on the third day. She was very polite & stated there was a backlog. I don't think there is any hanky-panky going on. Jackson County Sheriff's office is simply overwhelmed with renewals coming up. It also appeared that there is only one person working permits right now. Good thing I have a permit from another state. Still going to add Arizona though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Arizona CCW application package arrived in yesterday's mail. I am going to try and send my completed application back either this Friday or next Monday.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep mine did too....now to find the time to go get fingerprinted.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Arizona CCW application package arrived in yesterday's mail. I am going to try and send my completed application back either this Friday or next Monday.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Getting fingerprinted seems to be the hardest part about Arizona's CCW permit process. I'm thinking about rolling my own fingerprints.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Getting fingerprinted seems to be the hardest part about Arizona's CCW permit process. I'm thinking about rolling my own fingerprints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local PD did it for $5.00
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Missouri Highway patrol does finger prints for free on Wednesdays.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]
So what does the Missouri Highway Patrol or local law enforcement say or feel when doing fingerprint cards for an out of state CCW permit?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had them do it for NFA stuff before.  And while the cards I got from AZ are already marked with their info...they're the same cards everyone else uses so if it bothered you, use theirs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So what does the Missouri Highway Patrol or local law enforcement say or feel when doing fingerprint cards for an out of state CCW permit?
View Quote

My local did not care one way or the other. It was practice for him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Arizona CCW application went out with today's mail. Now it is a waiting game to see if I get an Arizona permit before my appointment with Jackson County to renew my now expired Missouri permit. The local PD did my fingerprint cards for $5 and the officer was a damn fine looking woman. I would pay her $5 to hold my hand anytime...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
They need to do some of that gov. spending I've been hearing so much about and hire some more people.

To get a new CCW the Apt was ~4 weeks from when I made it. They had one older lady in the whole office. Said it would take pretty close to the full 45 days to go through.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a Missouri CCW permit so why does the counties have anything to do with the process?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's a Missouri CCW permit so why does the counties have anything to do with the process?
View Quote

It's just the law sir, just the law....
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And "I was only following orders" went out at Nuremberg...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I had my prints done at St. Peters P.D. for Florida, the officer asked where to send them. (They won't let you walk out of the station with YOUR prints on a card but they will mail it for you.). When I handed him the Florida envelope he says "Oh, I wouldn't have done them if I had known what they were for."

I said, "shut up public servant and drop this in the mail."  At least that's how I'm telling it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think part of it is done via the State HiPo, but it probably goes through each county Sheriff because of the bureaucracy already in place. They have more offices etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was making a funny.

The process was originally set up to buy votes by having the local sheriff process the endorsement instead of going through the Department of Public Safety.

Remember they had to have enough votes to override Holder's veto. So what we get is a compromise here and a compromise there until we get what we got. In the years following the movement has gone to fixing some of the nuances.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was making a funny.

The process was originally set up to buy votes by having the local sheriff process the endorsement instead of going through the Department of Public Safety.

Remember they had to have enough votes to override Holder's veto. So what we get is a compromise here and a compromise there until we get what we got. In the years following the movement has gone to fixing some of the nuances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was making a funny.

Are you referring to One-Term-Bob Holden ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

<snip>

I was making a funny.

View Quote

Me too!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

When the Department of Revenue misbehaved and the legislature removed them from the process, most thought it would be better.  However, giving even more power to the local Sheriff should be concerning for some.  Jackson County, Boone County, St. Louis County, etc.  

View Quote
What's the story here?

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Remember the debacle of the DMV office copying your CCW info and faxing it to some central (private business) registry, saying "But we won't ever disclose it to anyone else"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the story here?

Remember the debacle of the DMV office copying your CCW info and faxing it to some central (private business) registry, saying "But we won't ever disclose it to anyone else"?

Scanned my birth certificate,  DD-214, SS card, & other documents. The DMV then sent them somewhere. I am not sure but I think the documents ended up with some fed agency which was a direct violation of the state CCW law. Now instead of one state agency handling things, we now have every sheriff's dept and his brother having access to this information. Well that didn't help...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if there was another debacle I missed along the way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Scanned my birth certificate,  DD-214, SS card, & other documents. The DMV then sent them somewhere. I am not sure but I think the documents ended up with some fed agency which was a direct violation of the state CCW law. Now instead of one state agency handling things, we now have every sheriff's dept and his brother having access to this information. Well that didn't help...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the story here?

Law enforcement always had the endorsement data in the MULES system. That is how they would know you had a CCW when they ran your DL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#50]
My appointment was yesterday. I now have a purdy CCW permit from Jackson County, MO.  

No word on Arizona. Most likely the hold up is the FBI fingerprint check.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top