Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2017 6:55:10 PM EDT
If you are off work, and so inclined, come help be a voice to counter the Sheriffs association, and show support!!!

Starts at 0900 in Montgomery!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anybody heard any news on this?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Article

Sounds like they didn't vote. Held up in committee?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Article

Sounds like they didn't vote. Held up in committee?
View Quote
Yeah, it sounds like today there was just a public hearing, and that the bill will be hanging around in committee for a while.

Oh well, fingers crossed. And if it doesn't pass or dies in committee, time to vote some motherfuckers out of office.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The Sheriffs Association, and a bunch of uniformed officers were there in force.

Most were using democrat tactics and trying to pull heart strings talking about how it saves children...and similar stuff.

I got there a few mins late and missed the sign up sheet to speak to the whole committee.

I did speak with the head of the committee (Treadaway) after it was over. He was receptive to some stuff I pointed out, and didn't want to hear others.

He told me I was in a minority as far as LE supporting the bill. (Duh, that's why I went)

My position was that you have the same expectation of privacy in your car as you do your house. The only exigency allowing roadside warrantless searches is the fact that your car is mobile. Therefore, it is an extension of your home, and should be treated as such.

Also, I pointed out that in AL, if you had to use a firearm in self defense, and you were charged with ccw, it's in the AL code, that self defense is an affirmative defense to the charge, so basically the state is saying you should be able to have it in your car..

In the end, I don't feel great about it, but we really need to stay on our reps asses about it.

Treadaway would not commit to a date for it to go to the house, he said it would go to a sub committee first, and he didn't have a date for that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Sheriffs Association, and a bunch of uniformed officers were there in force.

Most were using democrat tactics and trying to pull heart strings talking about how it saves children...and similar stuff.

I got there a few mins late and missed the sign up sheet to speak to the whole committee.

I did speak with the head of the committee (Treadaway) after it was over. He was receptive to some stuff I pointed out, and didn't want to hear others.

He told me I was in a minority as far as LE supporting the bill. (Duh, that's why I went)

My position was that you have the same expectation of privacy in your car as you do your house. The only exigency allowing roadside warrantless searches is the fact that your car is mobile. Therefore, it is an extension of your home, and should be treated as such.

Also, I pointed out that in AL, if you had to use a firearm in self defense, and you were charged with ccw, it's in the AL code, that self defense is an affirmative defense to the charge, so basically the state is saying you should be able to have it in your car..

In the end, I don't feel great about it, but we really need to stay on our reps asses about it.

Treadaway would not commit to a date for it to go to the house, he said it would go to a sub committee first, and he didn't have a date for that.
View Quote
Well, that doesn't sound very promising. But thanks all the same for being a voice for our 2A rights. Much respect to you, sir.

I'm really counting on this to come through, as my sheriff (Abernathy) is being a real dick about issuing my wife a CCW. He's refusing on the basis of her being prescribed an SSRI (which she no longer takes) for postpartum depression two years ago. Now, I'm no lawyer, but that doesn't seem like something that should be at the sheriff's discretion in a supposedly "shall-issue" state.

I guess it should come as no surprise that Abernathy has publicly--and loudly--voiced his disapproval for the constitutional carry bills. And yet BamaCarry endorsed him all the same, because "he's a man of God". What a load of bullshit.

[/rant off]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Smitty, thanks for your efforts. Much appreciated! 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Smitty.  I appreciate what you did for us!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
If I recall the house committee is where related bills have gone to die consistently for the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Just heard that Treadaway has said the committee will vote on sending it to the floor of the house. He has not set a date to vote yet.

ETA:

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just heard that Treadaway has said the committee will vote on sending it to the floor of the house. He has not set a date to vote yet.
View Quote
I guess it's time to start the pressure cooker. Start calling and emailing

EDIT:

Rep. Allen Treadaway (R)
(205) 254-1700 Morris office
(334) 242-7685 Montgomery office
[email protected]

Rep. Thomas Jackson (D)
[email protected]
334-242-7738

Rep. Allen Farley (R)
[email protected]
334-242-7767

Rep. Mary Moore (D)
[email protected]
334-242-7608

What is the name of the committee? Is it the House public safety and homeland security committee? Looks it but need confirmation before I start pasting links to all the members?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What is the name of the committee? Is it the House public safety and homeland security committee? Looks it but need confirmation before I start pasting links to all the members?
View Quote
Yes.

Treadaway

Farley

Jackson

Ainsworth

Drake

England

Hanes

Moore

Rowe

Shiver

Wharton

(Wharton is one of the sponsors)
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

REPRESENTATIVE TREADAWAY, ALLEN
Affiliation:(R)
District:House District 51
County:Jefferson
Phone Number:334-242-7685
Fax Number:
Street:11 South Union Street
Office:Suite 528-A
City:Montgomery
State:AL
Postal Code:36130-2950
Email:[email protected]
Treadaway said an example of how the permit requirement is an important tool for law enforcement came last week when Birmingham police stopped a pickup with no headlights on. The officers noticed an AR-15 on the back seat, which was not illegal, Treadaway said. The driver admitted to having a pistol in the truck and did not have a permit for it.
That led to his arrest and a search of the truck, which turned up two pipe bombs and illegal drugs, Treadaway said.
"That's a prime example that if this law passed, the concerns of law enforcement is that tool would be taken away," Treadaway said. (http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/04/law_enforcement_gun_rights_adv.html)
View Quote
REPRESENTATIVE FARLEY, ALLEN
District:House District 15
County:Jefferson County, Shelby County
Phone Number:334-242-7767
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 427-L
Art Thomm, state liaison for the National Rifle Association, gave committee members a handout showing that 12 states allow concealed carry without a permit -- Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming, New Hampshire and Montana.
Rep. Allen Farley, R-McCalla, who is retired from law enforcement, asked Thomm how much money the NRA spends lobbying public officials in Alabama.
Thomm said he did not know (http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/04/law_enforcement_gun_rights_adv.html)
View Quote
REPRESENTATIVE JACKSON, THOMAS
Affiliation:(D)
District:House District 68
County:Baldwin County, Clarke County, Conecuh County, Marengo County, Monroe County, Washington County
Phone Number:334-242-7738
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 437-D
“Now I see law enforcement sitting around and these are the people who are against it. Why are you for this bill? Personally?” asked Representative Thomas Jackson, D-Baldwin County. Jackson is also the ranking minority member in the Alabama House of Representatives.
“I’m for it…” Sheriff Hale began.
“Why are you for it?” interrupted Jackson
“I’m for it Mr. Representative because I believe in the second amendment,” said Hale. (http://wiat.com/2017/04/26/public-hearing-house-bill-would-eliminate-need-for-pistol-permits/)
View Quote
REPRESENTATIVE AINSWORTH, WILL
District:House District 27
County:Blount County, DeKalb County, Marshall County
Phone Number:334-242-7772
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 524-B

REPRESENTATIVE DRAKE, DICKIE
District:House District 45
County:Jefferson County, Shelby County
Phone Number:334-242-7727
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 528-B

REPRESENTATIVE ENGLAND, CHRIS
District:House District 70
County:Tuscaloosa County
Phone Number:334-242-7703
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 539-B
Rep. Chris England (D-Tuscaloosa) said if lawmakers reject the bill and Alabama continues to require a permit, that is still in line with the constitution.
"Our supreme court has already said it's not a license to carry whenever, wherever, however or what kind of weapon you want," England told his colleagues. (http://abc3340.com/news/local/police-flood-alabama-capitol-ask-lawmakers-to-keep-concealed-carry-permit-requirement)
View Quote
REPRESENTATIVE HANES, TOMMY
District:House District 23
County:DeKalb County, Jackson County
Phone Number:334-242-7551
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 527-D

REPRESENTATIVE MOORE, MARY
District:House District 59
County:Jefferson County
Phone Number:334-242-7608
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 539-D
Rep. Mary Moore, D-Birmingham, said the Second Amendment has been wrongly interpreted to grant individual gun rights, when it should only apply to a "well regulated militia." (http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/04/law_enforcement_gun_rights_adv.html)
View Quote
REPRESENTATIVE ROWE, CONNIE C.
District:House District 13
County:Blount County, Walker County
Phone Number:334-242-7595
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 537-E

REPRESENTATIVE SHIVER, HARRY
District:House District 64
County:Baldwin County, Monroe County
Phone Number:334-242-7745
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 526-D

REPRESENTATIVE WHORTON, ISAAC
District:House District 38
County:Chambers County, Lee County
Phone Number:334-242-7735
Fax Number:
Office:Suite 427-C
The bill is sponsored by Rep. Isaac Whorton, R-Valley. It is similar to a bill that passed the Senate last week, with Republicans supporting it and Democrats opposed.
Committee member Rep. Thomas Jackson, D-Thomasville, asked Whorton why he supported eliminating the permit requirement considering the problems caused by gun violence.
"Guns are made to kill," Jackson said. "That's what they're made for. And handguns are made to kill people. You don't go hunting with a handgun."
Whorton has noted that if his bill passed it would remain illegal for felons and those convicted of domestic violence to possess a gun. Whorton said those legally eligible to carry a gun should not have to pay a fee for that right (http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/04/law_enforcement_gun_rights_adv.html)
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Per Bamacarry it's now stuck in a subcommittee. Tell me, the hell is the point voting GOP when they stab us in the back every goddamned time?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Per Bamacarry it's now stuck in a subcommittee. Tell me, the hell is the point voting GOP when they stab us in the back every goddamned time?
View Quote
Darnit!
These guys need to watch out because they will be labeled anti 2A when the local election rolls around.  I believe right now is a great time for another party that's? really liberty based to start making headway in Alabama. The Republicans are pissing me off here and in Washington. They keep acting like the democrats.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Seriously.  Need to have 4th of July rallies in multiple cities to protest them killing the bill again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top