Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2017 9:26:23 PM EDT
So I'm planning to go to the CMP range in Talladega tomorrow. It's my first trip and am wondering if the veterans can share some knowledge.

I'm pretty excited about hitting the 600 yard line. Which direction does the range face?  I'm a little concerned about that 20 mph northwest wind.

Anything else I need to know?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Bring lunch.  They have a new mini-snackbar, but it isn't always open.

2.  Despite like 15 or 20 visits, I've never thought to check what direction the Range 1 is facing.  Range is wooded on the left and right sides.  Winds are squirrely on the 600y range, particularly between the 300 and 600 yard line on the left side.  It's a great opportunity to practice doping the wind.

3.  There are some ammo restrictions (see below).  However, you can now shoot M855 on the range.  Recent change.  (But who the hell would want to?)

4.  You need to get a safety brief at the clubhouse before shooting.  You'll get a card that's good for a year so you don't have to do it again.  If you don't have an ECI / Chamber flag, they are a dollar.  They are required.

5.  The concrete on the line is hard.  Like diamond hard.  If you're gonna shoot prone, bring a mat and some extra padding (towels or whatever under the mat) for your elbows.  Did I mention that the concrete is hard?  No kidding. 

6.  Tell Don or Leon (at the 600y range) that Rusty said hi!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome...thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I just called them and their power is out.  I guess I will be staying at the office today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top