Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:13:42 PM EDT
Link to PDF of the bill

Text from the NRA-ILA email I just received:

Last week, state Senator Shay Shelnutt (R-17) introduced Senate Bill 330.  SB 330 would allow a Sheriff to issue or renew a pistol permit to or for a person residing in any county in the state.  This bill enables residents to obtain permits in neighboring counties, where fees may be significantly less expensive.

SB 330 was drafted and introduced in acknowledgement of one simple truth: citizens of Alabama should not be held to disparate standards in exchange for the ability to lawfully exercise the same fundamental right.  

A pistol permit issued in Jefferson County ($7.50 a year) confers the exact same right across the state as a pistol permit issued in Baldwin County ($20.00 a year).  Yet, over a 5-year period those rights cost approximately $62.50 more in Baldwin County.  The permittee receives no additional benefit for this more expensive permit.  As a result, the counties that charge excessive fees are simply generating revenue from a small group of law-abiding residents.  The NRA believes that pistol permit fees should only reflect the actual cost of fulfilling all statutorily mandated responsibilities associated with the permitting process; any financial obligation in excess is a revenue generating tax.  Your fundamental right to self-defense should not be held hostage in exchange for excessive taxes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
 how about no permit at all?

why do I suspect why do I suspect we're going to get stuck with this piece of crap rather than constitutional carry?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 how about no permit at all?

why do I suspect why do I suspect we're going to get stuck with this piece of crap rather than constitutional carry?
View Quote
Agreed. This is the first time I ever heard about this. If constitutional Carry passes, I would be fine with this bill. I'd buy in jeffco instead of Morgan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take the money part of it away and the sheriffs opposition to no permit carry will collapse.

Of course Sheriff Hale will hate it. He will be flooded with permit applications that cost him money.
View Quote
No, what will happen is every county will start charging $20. When you start talking equalization in government , it never goes down.

And we still need permits issued for the reason stated - reciprocity.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top