Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 1:49:38 AM EDT
Closed on a place in Irondale today.  We won't be down full time until the very end of June/beginning of July.  I will be down many times intermittently to do several things. Some painting, moving some of our non essentials etc. I have some questions and anyone in the area that could give advice I would very much appreciate.

1. Furniture- used or new Sofa, Loveseat chair(s) etc. I will NOT be spending much. Just need this stuff to last 3 years as there will likely be another move and I plan to leave this stuff behind. Living room budget $2,000 sun room budget $1000. Bedroom/Kitchen is covered. Have been told to check out Encore Resale and Alabama Furniture Market. Any others?

2. I'm interested in setting up a 4+ camera outdoor CCTV system. I'm a Luddite when it comes to tech but I can follow the directions. Anyone with experience willing to advise/help in the area would be appreciated. <$500 budget

3. I've started shooting sporting clays at my club here in WV. Would love to join a shooting club that has Clays, pistol, rifle etc but if I can find a place to shoot clays I'll be happy.

4.  CWP. Requirements? Classes? Cost?

5. Training. I'll be 45 minutes from Frank Proctors place and plan to take full advantage. I've also been advised to seek out Chase Jenkins with Talon Defense and will do so also. Any other trainers/training centers/ranges etc anyone can recommend? The closer to Bham/Irondale the more I'll be able to go but I want quality training. Pistol and Shotgun are my favorites to work but I also need to get in some Med classes and some Rifle work for fun.

Not much for going out and about too often,but anyone who wants to shoot, have a meal, or drink some beers just shoot me a PM.  Wife is all set up at Children's of Alabama for her 3 year PICU fellowship, I'm still looking for a new gig so if you know of ANYTHING big, small, full, or part time in my new AO I'll take a look.

-Joshua
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
3. Southern Sportsman in Irondale, CMP Markmanship Park just East of Irondale about 45 minutes, Selwood Farms about 45 minutes SE of Irondale.

4. CWP. Requirements? Classes? Cost?

None, none, depends on how many years and which county, $7-$20/year is the range.  Just fill out the form and pass the background check.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3. Southern Sportsman in Irondale, CMP Markmanship Park just East of Irondale about 45 minutes, Selwood Farms about 45 minutes SE of Irondale.

4. CWP. Requirements? Classes? Cost?

None, none, depends on how many years and which county, $7-$20/year is the range.  Just fill out the form and pass the background check.
View Quote
Selwood Farms looks awesome!! And that's excellent news on CWP. Where will I need to go to apply, Sheriff's office?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.lighthorsetactical.com/

http://doubletapal.com/
View Quote
Looks like good training and a good venue. Any first hand experience? If so what classes? What stood out?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Where will I need to go to apply, Sheriff's office?
View Quote
yep, in Shelby Co. we can even get the form on line and just mail it in with a check..
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you do for a living, OP?
If you don't feel comfortable posting, send me an IM and I'll keep an eye out.

+1 on Selwood Farms.
I've been a few times and nothing beats a round of golf with an over/under.

If the Cahaba River WMA range opens as promised on April 1st, I mean to get back out to the rifle range.
Though Talladega WMA is probably just as close for you.
View Quote
I'm with a Sales and Marketing company at the moment. I have the luxury of other income and my wife does well. So the need and motivation for 50+ hour weeks is long gone. My current position is really a part time job where I can come and go as I please. I don't expect to find that again but something where I can make 20k a year and have the flexibility to spend as much time as possible with my wife would be just fine and help offset some of my tax burden. Below is what I posted in the job listings forum:

Looking for work in the Birmingham area. I have opened and managed Restaurants, Inventory Auditing in the Corporate structure of Lowe's Home Improvement, Sold Wine for a national Distributor, Own and Manage Rental Property, and am currently in Retail Contract Assurance and Marketing for Advantage Solutions.

I've had some communication with both Eastern Industrial Supplies, and Mcleod Software, but would love an opportunity to apply/interview at as many places as possible. I'd prefer less than 30% of the year to be out of town travel if possible, but I'm willing to work with any company that I can be of benefit to.

Any and ALL leads or suggestions will be greatly appreciated so feel free to send me any ideas big or small or post companies that you think may have positions to fill in the area.

Thanks,
Joshua
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I see this is an older post , I'll chime in.

Lighthorse tactical is good people.

Alabama furniture mart is pretty good, but you can get cheap furniture most anywhere. Costco and Rooms to Go in Hoover are worth stopping by.  

Brocks Gap in Hoover hosts monthly IDPA and Practical Tactical matches that you might enjoy.  

brocks gap

Cheap CCTV:
costco

They are cheap but surprisingly workable.  I see this one has poor reviews.  I have had several and have had pretty good luck out of them.  One of mine did have a hard drive die after a few years.  The Costco conceirge service is excellent and makes it worth buying from them. I had trouble getting my system to view remotely. They installed logmein on my laptop and configured my system for me while I was on the phone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
All excellent information. Thank you. I found some furniture at the Layzboy store in Irondale that's going OOB.

I also found this couch at Sam's and since there is a Sam's 6 minutes away from my house I think I'm going to get two and see if they'll work out.
Sam's leather couch

I'm still shopping around for CCTV options and will definitely take a look at that option. Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top