Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 9:23:59 AM EDT
I am taking my daughter to Huntsville AL, US Space & Rocket center for spring break. That visit is good to go. However, she is a budding photographer and loves outdoor scenery. I have not been to that part of AL. Can anyone suggest any scenic drives or locations for her to get some good shots. This is a day trip driving in from Memphis, so something in NW AL would be best.

Also, any good gun shops, knife shops or Civil War sites to visit? Is Larry's Pawn and Pistol worth a stop?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Larry's is worth a stop.  They have some of the best prices you'll find on Rugers, police trade-in pistols and pump shotguns of all brands, and sometimes good deals on ammo.  Other than that, Huntsville is lacking in gun/knife/fun-stuff stores.  Lots of good craft beer and food.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
We will need to eat. What do you suggest?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Local BBQ. Big Bob Gibson's if you find yourself in Decatur.

Wish I could help for photography locations, but don't go that way often.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't go to the Gibson's locations in Huntsville. They aren't the same as Big Bob's in Decatur.  I like Ted's and Lawler's as well.  Sam and Greg's or The Boot for pizza.  I Love Sushi for sushi.  1892 East and Commerce Kitchen for a fancier meal.  Rosie's is good for Mexican food, but IMO a bit overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
For photography on a quick trip, the Huntsville Botanical Garden is something she might enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Big Ed's is good for pizza - just a few blocks down the Parkway from Larry's.  (Which has an indoor pistol range, if such a thing might interest you.)

As a dozen people about bbq and get a dozen answers. 

There are some neat rockets on Redstone Arsenal she might want to photograph.  Stop by the visitor's center (off of 565) and request a pass to get on base.  (Bring ID, car registration, and proof of insurance.)

I agree with the Botanical center.  It's one of the hidden gems in Huntsville.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Drive along HWY 146 that turns into HWY 65 near Skyline, AL. It goes up into TN, but it's a beautiful drive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That is an easy drive from Memphis. I will do it again. We decided to skip extra places to get back for something local that evening.

The Space and Rocket center is very cool. The best part is the Davidson Center with the Saturn V display. That rocket is huge. We got to talk to one of the many old timer engineer that worked on the space program. That guy knew his shit. I have been in engineering for 25 years, but this guy was a real engineer.  

There was a brief but interesting display of missiles and rockets used in the military.

It was my first IMAX visit of any kind. That is the way to watch movies.

Some of the buildings, displays and décor are a bit dated, but overall that is a great place to visit. If you have kids, I suggest getting there and letting them discover American ingenuity.

9/10

A few pics of the Davidson Center to wet your appetite. Go see the rest.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad yall had a good time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top