Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
I am flying in Thursday 2/2 (been in Texas for three weeks) and saw there were some protesters about.

Does it look like they are hanging around or have they drizzled away yet? 

I need to steel myself for the mind numbing stupidity before I deplane. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they got it out of their system with the first protest. Haven't heard of anything one going.  I have a call with the airport authority tomorrow and will ask.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I spoke with the director of operations this morning. He said that they don't expect a repeat of the protest and the location of the previous protest didn't affect arrivals or departures. The organizers of the protest are at the city council meeting today requesting that the city formally become a sanctuary city.  Depending on the outcome they may try to hold another protest or rally but they told the airport that they have no plans to hold further actions at BHM.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spoke with the director of operations this morning. He said that they don't expect a repeat of the protest and the location of the previous protest didn't affect arrivals or departures. The organizers of the protest are at the city council meeting today requesting that the city formally become a sanctuary city.  Depending on the outcome they may try to hold another protest or rally but they told the airport that they have no plans to hold further actions at BHM.
View Quote
Seriously?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously?

Yup.  Apparently they passed a resolution of support.  I haven't seen the wording yet but I suspect is doesn't have much teeth. They like to jump on such bandwagons but never have the backbone to push such matters into a full on fight.  The council leadership it is more about the optics and less about the end result.

ETA:  I just read the resolution.  I was right, no teeth in it.  Only thing they committed to do was establish a committee.  The rest was fluff.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously?
How about they make their homes, apartments, campers, or bridge over passes available to refugees currently here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup.  Apparently they passed a resolution of support.  I haven't seen the wording yet but I suspect is doesn't have much teeth. They like to jump on such bandwagons but never have the backbone to push such matters into a full on fight.  The council leadership it is more about the optics and less about the end result.

ETA:  I just read the resolution.  I was right, no teeth in it.  Only thing they committed to do was establish a committee.  The rest was fluff.
View Quote
So they formed a committee, to commit to forming a committee?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pretty much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

They must be taking cues from some churches I've been to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
So pretty much business as usual down at city hall.

I so wish I didn't own property in the city.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously?

It's going to be fun to watch the loss of Federal Funds shut down Birmingham.  All of the cities around Birmingham are just laughing at Birmingham.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty much.
View Quote

You sure it wasn't that they formed a committee to study the impacts of forming a task force to look into the feasibility of a committee to determine whether Birmingham will become a Sanctuary City?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You sure it wasn't that they formed a committee to study the impacts of forming a task force to look into the feasibility of a committee to determine whether Birmingham will become a Sanctuary City?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

You're giving them too much credit.  I don't think they gave it that much thought.  More like "hey what should we do?" *shrug* "a committee sounds like something.  My church has a bunch."  Don't think they thought beyond that.

Councilwoman Rafferty came out after the vote and said she didn't know what the resolution fully entailed.  She voted for it because she was scared shitless of all the protesters that packed out the chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top