Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2016 2:47:59 AM EDT
Starting to look into a job in Huntsville and wondering what it's like.  Schools?  Things for kids (4th grader) to do?  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Hsv has one of the highest education levels in the country.  I lived in Madison (Hsv suburb) for 20 years - great place to raise kids.

Madison city Schools are rated the highest in the state and pretty well rated for the country.  Crap tons of stuff for a kid to do.  There are three community-built playgrounds in NAL:  Madison Kids Kingdom, SE HSV and Athens.

A lot of good information at this site:  http://www.city-data.com/forum/huntsville-madison-decatur-area/

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Where at in WA do you live?  How long have you lived there for?

I moved here 13 years ago from Olympia.  Be ready for the hot humid summers.  Plenty to do here in Huntsville.  Or if you want to travel some you have several places that are 2 to 3 hours away.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Huntsville was awesome in my opinion. I did an internship there for two years after college. I lived in Athens, just a bit up 65 from Huntsville. Above poster is correct. Madison area is where you want to live. Great education, great places to eat, and plenty of entertainment. Huntsville is a big technology and military city. A lot of smart people live in the area. You can go from city life to hick life in about a 25 minute drive from the city lol.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hsv has one of the highest education levels in the country.  I lived in Madison (Hsv suburb) for 20 years - great place to raise kids.

Madison city Schools are rated the highest in the state and pretty well rated for the country.  Crap tons of stuff for a kid to do.  There are three community-built playgrounds in NAL:  Madison Kids Kingdom, SE HSV and Athens.

A lot of good information at this site:  http://www.city-data.com/forum/huntsville-madison-decatur-area/

Good luck.
View Quote

This is all spot-on.  Madison is awesome.  Great food and beer here for the size of the Huntsville/Madison "metro" area, too.  The only down side IMO is that places to shoot are somewhat limited compared to the Birmingham area where I moved from.  I'll take the trade-off any day though.  I am actually thinking about re-applying for membership to a range in the Birmingham area and just making the hour and a half drive to go shoot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is all spot-on.  Madison is awesome.  Great food and beer here for the size of the Huntsville/Madison "metro" area, too.  The only down side IMO is that places to shoot are somewhat limited compared to the Birmingham area where I moved from.  I'll take the trade-off any day though.  I am actually thinking about re-applying for membership to a range in the Birmingham area and just making the hour and a half drive to go shoot.
View Quote

Whats out at the Merrill Reservation just south of new hope? I used to always take my dog on walks out there and always heard people shooting rifles.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Whats out at the Merrill Reservation just south of new hope? I used to always take my dog on walks out there and always heard people shooting rifles.
View Quote

Perhaps you're talking about the Blue and Grey R&P club?  They're located about 2 miles from Hwy 431, just before the Guntersville Dam.  At least that's where they were when I was a member years ago.  There was talk then about buying their own property and getting off TVA land.  Have no clue how that turned out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
What's not to love about Huntsville.  Just be sure to live in South Huntsville (Jones Valley area). I hate dealing with traffic out in the Madison area though. Schools are pretty phenomenal.  

Just don't live in North Huntsville.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Perhaps you're talking about the Blue and Grey R&P club?  They're located about 2 miles from Hwy 431, just before the Guntersville Dam.  At least that's where they were when I was a member years ago.  There was talk then about buying their own property and getting off TVA land.  Have no clue how that turned out.
View Quote

I haven't been out to Blue & Gray.  The only other places I'm aware of are:

Swan Creek WMA - always crowded, closed Dec - Feb for duck season.
Skyline WMA - long drive for me, generally less crowded than Swan Creek, but the last time I was there it was packed.
Cavern Cove - USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, Speed Steel, and SASS matches.  This is private land where the owner lets people host matches and is open to letting regular competitors come out to practice (have to shoot 8 matches/year), but it is not a regular shooting range where you just show up and shoot whenever you want.
Larry's Pistol and Pawn - indoor, Huntsville
Last Resort Guns - indoor, Madison

I miss having access to places where I could do my own USPSA/IDPA type practice sessions (I had memberships at both Brock's Gap and Heritage).  I have shot a few times at Cavern Cove, but I always feel a little guilty asking Gary for permission to come shoot in what is essentially his yard (though it's set up much nicer than most shooting ranges).
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
If I had to live in a larger city Huntsville would be my pick.  Instead I live a little over an hour from it to the east and in a small town where everybody knows each other.  I've already been to Huntsville twice this week and to Gadsden three times I think.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought about moving to Huntsville about 10 years ago.

I asked a coworker who had worked there, and he said it was like gun racks in BMWs!  A place where people had money, but hadn't lose their Southern values.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
If you like to live rural, you can have several acres and a house in the country for under $200,000 with about a 45 minute drive to Huntsville. You can be in Tennessee in about 25 minutes from Huntsville too.

I work in Huntsville and live in Tennessee. We do all of our shopping in Huntsville and use the doctors and hospitals in Huntsville as well. It's a great city to live in if you like city living.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you like to live rural, you can have several acres and a house in the country for under $200,000 with about a 45 minute drive to Huntsville. You can be in Tennessee in about 25 minutes from Huntsville too.

I work in Huntsville and live in Tennessee. We do all of our shopping in Huntsville and use the doctors and hospitals in Huntsville as well. It's a great city to live in if you like city living.
View Quote

Just make sure you can plant corn before you buy a house.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I spent 3 years there a while back, loved every part of it except distance from the beach and family. I would gues the reason Huntsville has stayed such a great town is that it is not easy to get to from major cities..kept the garbage out maybe ? Trafiic is never bad except in Madison and even then, not nearly as bad as Atlanta or Chattanooga. One Christmas eve around 5, I had to sit through 2 cycles of a redlight, that was bad as it ever got in downtown.
Schools are great as well as lots of places for the foodies. If ice is forecast and you live over one of the mountains, leave immediately or you won't make it ;)
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm actually heading to the Arsenal on a PCS move which will turn into my retirement home in February

I attended AIT there before the BRAC closed her down years back, but thankfully I was able to weasel a job there that should either promote me 1 more time or let me retire peacefully
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in South East Huntsville... Jones Valley area. My end of the city is where you would move if you want to buy a house to remodel. The advantage of South East Huntsville is the lots are much larger than Madison. Madison is where all the new money moves. It is a great area with fantastic schools. As a previous poster said... Do NOT move anywhere close to North Huntsville! We have the highest per capita PhD's in the nation. Shit tons of engineers. The dollar still goes a long way here. Salaries are high, cost of living is low/ reasonable. Relatively no property tax but the sales tax is 9%. I'm ok with that because it is based on consumption.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Starting to look into a job in Huntsville and wondering what it's like.  Schools?  Things for kids (4th grader) to do?  Thanks
View Quote

Just noticed Washington... Are you Boeing? If so, the Boeing offices and plant are REALLY close to Madison. Actually, it is probably located in Madison. Look at houses at or on County Line Road, or in that general area.   GREAT area for kids, family. Very safe, your wife will love it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live in South East Huntsville... Jones Valley area. My end of the city is where you would move if you want to buy a house to remodel. The advantage of South East Huntsville is the lots are much larger than Madison. Madison is where all the new money moves. It is a great area with fantastic schools. As a previous poster said... Do NOT move anywhere close to North Huntsville! We have the highest per capita PhD's in the nation. Shit tons of engineers. The dollar still goes a long way here. Salaries are high, cost of living is low/ reasonable. Relatively no property tax but the sales tax is 9%. I'm ok with that because it is based on consumption.
View Quote

I have to laugh at your post.  I guess from your perspective it's true but from someone who's been here 46 years it's not quite accurate.  To someone who grew up in the Blossomwood / Oak Park area, you south Huntsvillians are "new money" and those guys in Madison, they're just transplants with money.  LOL!  There's a reason that many of the folks I attended high school with share their last names with streets in Old Town but it's cool, because Jones Valley is nice too.  It just chaps my ass when folks make uneducated statements about "avoid north Huntsville" when they really mean northwest Huntsville.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I work in healthcare.  Love where I live here in Washington, but the job is driving me crazy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I work in healthcare.  Love where I live here in Washington, but the job is driving me crazy.
View Quote

As I said, I don't live in Huntsville but I really like the area.  If it were not for the custody situation with my children I would probably try to transfer over to that area myself.  The girlfriend could secure about a 20k a year raise by being there versus being here as well. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sent you an IM.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Just moved to Huntsville myself. Officially moved there 1.5 weeks ago, but I know the area since my company did an extensive project in the area.

On the North East side though in the Madison County School district. I'm practically in Meridianville but have Huntsville address. Location is great. I can be anywhere I want in about 15-20 minutes.

For gun shops check out Larry's Gun and Pawn.

For movie theater check out Madison Square Luxury Cinemas. They have the best seats ever. You pick your seat like picking seats on a airplane. The seats are power reclining all the way horizontal, have a table, and they give you little pillows. Prices are very reasonable as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have to laugh at your post.  I guess from your perspective it's true but from someone who's been here 46 years it's not quite accurate.  To someone who grew up in the Blossomwood / Oak Park area, you south Huntsvillians are "new money" and those guys in Madison, they're just transplants with money.  LOL!  There's a reason that many of the folks I attended high school with share their last names with streets in Old Town but it's cool, because Jones Valley is nice too.  It just chaps my ass when folks make uneducated statements about "avoid north Huntsville" when they really mean northwest Huntsville.
View Quote

This is accurate.  I just got married and I moved into my wifes apartment which is off near Monrovia.  I am itching bad to move back to the south side of town.  I hate Madison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top