Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2016 4:03:12 PM EDT
I'm looking for someone around the Birmingham area that can finish 80% lowers. Is there anyone you guys would recommend?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you're going to find anyone to finish your 80% lowers for you. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you must finish your own 80% lowers. The ATF is very strict on that. There is a do-it-yourself subforum here on arfcom that covers most of these topics. Sorry for any typos or mistakes, I'm dictating this on my phone.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think you're going to find anyone to finish your 80% lowers for you. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you must finish your own 80% lowers. The ATF is very strict on that. There is a do-it-yourself subforum here on arfcom that covers most of these topics. Sorry for any typos or mistakes, I'm dictating this on my phone.
View Quote

As far as l know this^^^^ is correct and what I believe to be true. The whole point of an 80% lower is for you to do the work. If your not interested in the work just buy a 100% lower.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI.

Finishing a 80% lower is manufacturing of a firearm.

You can do this legally for yourself, but you cannot do it for someone else without a license.

I am a manufacturer, and I can machine lowers like that. But you have to understand that for me to do that, you can expect at least an hour to an hour and a half of shop time, and then in the end I have to mark it and serialize it and give you a 4473 for you to take it home.  Cheaper to buy a lower at that point.

The draw of the 80% is you can do it at home. Typically lowers are done dozens at a time on a large CNC machine. The setup time is minimized and makes them as cheap as they have been in the past.

Doing one at a time is not a cost effective way to do it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top