Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 1:31:20 PM EDT
I recently moved and was going to register to vote on www.alabamavotes.gov.  It's been quite e few years since I've had to re-register, but i don't seem to remember this being part of the process before.   The last part says "I solemnly swear or affirm to support and defend the constitution of the United States and the State of Alabama and further disavow any belief or affiliation with any group which advocates the overthrow of the governments of the United States or the State of Alabama by unlawful means and that the information contained herein is true, so help me God.

In this political "climate", I must say this gives me pause. Has this always been so or is my tinfoil hat too tight?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It's always been there.  On my paper registration card, I drew a line thru it before signing.  My oath is to the Constitution, not to Alabama.

They registered me with no questions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the link

I cant imagine they'd take me to jail if I signed and then joined a group which advocates the overthrow of the State of Alabama.

I mean, if I did I suppose there'd be A LOT more stuff for which they might arrest me

j/s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top