Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 9:41:49 AM EDT
Link

One of the oak trees at Toomer's Corner was set on fire following Auburn's win over LSU on Saturday.

Surveillance footage appears to show a man walk up to the oak tree on W. Magnolia Ave., which had to be replanted during the remodeling process that started in 2015, and set some of the toilet paper hanging from it on fire.

Someone inadvertently set the one of the Toomer's Oaks on fire. It's out now, but all the toilet paper is burned off
The fire department arrived and extinguished the fire.

As of 1:45 a.m. Sunday, there were still embers smoldering in the tree enough to catch a small piece of toilet paper on fire. A bystander stomped the small fire out when the paper fell to the ground.
View Quote

Didn't look inadvertent to me.

UPDATE: An Auburn University spokesman said professor of horticulture Gary Keever inspected the tree Sunday morning.

"Gary Keever inspected the tree from the ground Sunday morning and did see some defoliation on one side," Auburn University spokesman Mike Clardy told AL.com. "We will get a lift up into the canopy as early as Monday to get a better look. We may not know for weeks the extent of the damage, depending on how the tree responds."

I hope it was a coonass this time and not another Bama nutcase.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a die hard RTR fan, but that is just fucked up.    

ETA:  Oh and good on Auburn for beating LSU!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to look at the tree a soon after it happened.  Didn't look like it hurt anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top