Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2016 11:47:44 PM EDT
UPDATE 12/14/2016:

We are officially Birmingham bound will be moving down late June 2017. Super excited as it was the #1 choice of our 9 total options. The house hunt now begins in earnest.  If you are aware of any Historic/Older homes in the area that are in need of a big time remodel please let me know. We are going to be house shopping for your typical 3+br 2+ba homes as well, but would also be interested in a remodel project.

UPDATE: 9-21-2016

Just got off the phone with the Mrs. she interviewed for a PICU fellowship position today at UAB.  She LOVED IT and seems to think the feeling was mutual.  Won't know anything until 'the match', and then will know for certain (this is counting on her matching) in mid December.  She said that the hospital is now without a doubt #1 on her list as it "checks" all the boxes and has additional features that set it apart.  Birmingham is where we both want to be based on location, and is now where we both pray we end up.  Thanks for all the info, and to all those who are willing prayers that if this is the Lord's will for us that it come to pass.  Well wishes and happy thoughts would be extremely appreciated too!

---end update---

So almost exactly a year from today Mrs. Southernbeau and I will be moving. The where is still completely up in the air, but we have reasons to think there is a better than average chance we land in Birmingham.  The why is my wife will be (hopefully) starting her Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) fellowship.  My questions are:
-Is a MAXIMUM of $200,000 a realistic budget for a decent home in a good area (on a lake or close to UAB University Hospital would be our preference)
-What is Bham like?
-General job market?
-Is the real estate market strong enough to justify purchasing a house that we may be selling in 3 years?

Anything else interesting or anything that you love/hate about the area I'm all ears. The more info the better.

*ANYONE WITH INFO SPECIFIC TO THE PEDIATRIC FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMS AT UAB THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND POSSIBLY TALK WITH MY WIFE PLEASE REACH OUT VIA P.M.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of job will you be looking for?

$200k is kinda low for lake property. And for something you will sale in 3 years unless you buy something to flip. What size house?

Real estate is insane in the desirable areas, particularly Hoover/North Shelby County. We just moved in April. Stayed in same area. Sold our house in approximately 50 days and bought a house that was on the market 4 days by the time we signed the contract. We lost out on 3 bidding wars.

Birmingham has an awesome food scene right now. And good beers. If you like baseball, Regions field is awesome. Great, central location for off-roading.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a landlord with property in SC (where we are from originally). As far as work I'll probably find something fun to do what that will be is completely up in the air. I'm doing part time work for a marketing company at the moment just for something to do.

I figured a lake place was a long shot so that's no big deal. A straight live in "flip" is a absolute no go. A live in remodel is definitely not out of the question.

As far as house size it's just the two of us so we're open to anything really. We have a nice 1680sq/ft 3/2.5 townhouse with a giant 2 car garage right now that we love.  We were just fine for a year in a 2/1 850sqf apartment too though, but is really missed having a garage.

I love good food, good beer, and all baseball so That sounds great.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I work at the hospital where she will be training. Actually, one of my neighbors is a PICU fellow but the only reason he lives near me (north Shelby) is because he has kids in school. You will definitely get more for your money the further out you go but your wife will be working 60 hour weeks so you really dont want a commute like that. I would look toward Homewood (edgewood, Hall-Kent area) or Vestavia proper. Its far enough out of the city but close enough for an easy drive. I wouldnt live in Birmingham city limits.

PS, she will be a UAB fellow but all of her work will be at Children's of Alabama with exception of whatever adult rotation they do.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a landlord with property in SC (where we are from originally). As far as work I'll probably find something fun to do what that will be is completely up in the air. I'm doing part time work for a marketing company at the moment just for something to do.

I figured a lake place was a long shot so that's no big deal. A straight live in "flip" is a absolute no go. A live in remodel is definitely not out of the question.

As far as house size it's just the two of us so we're open to anything really. We have a nice 1680sq/ft 3/2.5 townhouse with a giant 2 car garage right now that we love.  We were just fine for a year in a 2/1 850sqf apartment too though, but is really missed having a garage.

I love good food, good beer, and all baseball so That sounds great.
View Quote

If you started looking now, I think you could possibly find something in your budget on Smith Lake, just north of Birmingham. It may be a further drive than she's willing to make, though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, A ran into a fella at a conference who worked in Hoover.  He told me that he lived north of Birmingham in Blount County.  He said the traffic going south on I-65 was definately not as bad as the traffic going north from Shelby County.  Traffic going north on I-65 can be very rough.

I have a good friend who lives in Pell City on the lake.  But, he works local and doesn't have to commute.  Pell City may be a little too far for your wife to travel if she is working 60 hour weeks.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Has your wife been to an optometrist yet ?   Good luck with your move to Alabama
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I work at the hospital where she will be training. Actually, one of my neighbors is a PICU fellow but the only reason he lives near me (north Shelby) is because he has kids in school. You will definitely get more for your money the further out you go but your wife will be working 60 hour weeks so you really dont want a commute like that. I would look toward Homewood (edgewood, Hall-Kent area) or Vestavia proper. Its far enough out of the city but close enough for an easy drive. I wouldnt live in Birmingham city limits.

PS, she will be a UAB fellow but all of her work will be at Children's of Alabama with exception of whatever adult rotation they do.
View Quote

Great info thanks.  What are your impressions of the program in general and the hospital?  Does your PICU fellow neighbor seem to enjoy the hospital?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I kind of expected the 200k budget to be a stretch for lake property, but that's no big deal.  I appreciate the responses and the information, anyone with other info I'm all ears.  It's completely possible we end up moving somewhere else, but I believe we could do well in Birmingham.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
UAB is top notch.. and Children's is one of the best in the nation. I'm not in that field but have several people I know who are.. and the really enjoy their jobs. Now, as for the housing.  I live in Alabaster but work about a mile North of both of those hospitals. The commute is about 30 minutes in the morning and an hour in the afternoon rush hour. Not bad for the tranquility and peace of living outside of Jefferson County. House prices in the three subdivisions around me range from the $140s to the $200s and that everywhere from a 3/1 1200sqft to a 5/2 2500sqft ... so plenty to choose from

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd look in the following places for a house (these are all east of Birmingham, just some options, no particular order):

Trussville - there are some houses that fit the $ mark, shortest drive
Leeds/Moody - just far enough away from Birmingham that there's very little urban creep
Oxford - around half an hour drive to work. Good area, up and coming and growing more and more.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Great info thanks.  What are your impressions of the program in general and the hospital?  Does your PICU fellow neighbor seem to enjoy the hospital?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He seems to like it but the fellows are removed from a lot of the management aspect, which i have to deal with. He came from Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
The Malfunction Junction bridges are scheduled for replacement soon. It will make traffic coming from north, east and west of town miserable at various points of the project. Should take 4 years according to aldot (probably 15 years in real time). At least that's the word I hear from people at work. Doesn't directly affect me so I've not paid attention.

If I had no kids and planned on a 3 year stay, I'd get a loft/apt downtown. Near food and breweries.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Malfunction Junction bridges are scheduled for replacement soon. It will make traffic coming from north, east and west of town miserable at various points of the project. Should take 4 years according to aldot (probably 15 years in real time). At least that's the word I hear from people at work. Doesn't directly affect me so I've not paid attention.

If I had no kids and planned on a 3 year stay, I'd get a loft/apt downtown. Near food and breweries
View Quote

It's just us, and three years is all we can count on at the moment since that's the duration of PICU fellowships.  It will be like that wherever we wind up.  The downtown loft/apartment thing is very tempting, and is absolutely something we'll be looking in to.  I really really really like having a garage and shop though.  But three years of living it up in a cool area with walking distance food and breweries especially sounds like a whole lot of fun.  Any suggestions on where specifically to look?  Can something @ or under $1,000 a month be had realistically?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's just us, and three years is all we can count on at the moment since that's the duration of PICU fellowships.  It will be like that wherever we wind up.  The downtown loft/apartment thing is very tempting, and is absolutely something we'll be looking in to.  I really really really like having a garage and shop though.  But three years of living it up in a cool area with walking distance food and breweries especially sounds like a whole lot of fun.  Any suggestions on where specifically to look?  Can something @ or under $1,000 a month be had realistically?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had no kids and planned on a 3 year stay, I'd get a loft/apt downtown. Near food and breweries

i have no idea how much they run but there are some cool places right downtown and in southside. i lived super close before i got married so it was easy to stumble home from the bars. we are country folks too but live in the suburbs. we have tons of family land though so it helps if we want to get away.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Look into the condos in Avondale and Homewood.  Crestwood has a nice young professional vibe and is relatively close to UAB (it's on the East side of Birmingham by Avondale).

I'm tied at the hip with the Dental School & Orthopedic surgery side of UAB.  If you need some guidance from people in a similar situation I would be more than happy to place you in contact with good people (clinicians, med/dent students and real estate).  

Birmingham is in the middle of an investment boom with a foodie & microbrew culture that is becoming nationally famous.  We have chefs here with all of the Michelin stars and spots on the Food network.  Condos and apartment buildings are going up and entire sections of the formerly blighted parts of the city are being replaced with new structures.

Crime is still a problem however your chances are pretty minute if you just pay attention and don't go to the bad places.  

Most of the places East and South of the city are gorgeous.  We have beautiful parks and lots of things to do.  

EDIT:  You might look into University Place apartments.  I know that you're looking to buy... but this place is pretty much at UAB within walking distance to Childrens.  I don't know if anything is available for rent though, it's a popular place.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
http://venueballpark.com/  One of my nurses lives here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Extremely nice but $1800/month on a 2/2 with 967sq/ft isn't going to work for us. Place looks freaking sweet though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Extremely nice but $1800/month on a 2/2 with 967sq/ft isn't going to work for us. Place looks freaking sweet though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but you WATCH BASEBALL FROM YOUR PORCH!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, if no kids downtown would be nice. Crestwood,Highland,Lakeview. Lots of good places and getting to work by bike is a breeze. Hell, B'ham even has bike share.
But, if you had kids in school, i would be someplace else.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Check the Grant's Mill area of Irondale. New construction brick homes, great neighborhood and easy commute to about any where in Birmingham. Houses in my neighborhood sell quickly in less than a week very frequently.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep, if no kids downtown would be nice. Crestwood,Highland,Lakeview. Lots of good places and getting to work by bike is a breeze. Hell, B'ham even has bike share.
But, if you had kids in school, i would be someplace else.
View Quote

More properly, the bikes have not been stolen yet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i work at that hospital too. give me a shout when she gets here. we have a group here that supports each others families that work downtown in the event of an issue. i live north almost on the blount county line. drive to and from work even in rush hour is seldom bad. east west and south can be a nightmare. stay away from anything in birmingham city limits and anything to the west.
View Quote

Roger that. I'll be reaching out to all those who've made generous offers "IF" we get an option to interview.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i work at that hospital too. give me a shout when she gets here. we have a group here that supports each others families that work downtown in the event of an issue. i live north almost on the blount county line. drive to and from work even in rush hour is seldom bad. east west and south can be a nightmare. stay away from anything in birmingham city limits and anything to the west.
View Quote

Roger that. I'll be reaching out to all those who've made generous offers "IF" we get an option to interview.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Good luck to you both. I hope that it works out.

There are many many far worse places to land.

Alabama is a really nice place once you get out of the big cities.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#29]
UPDATE: 9-21-2016

Just got off the phone with the Mrs. she interviewed for a PICU fellowship position today at UAB.  She LOVED IT and seems to think the feeling was mutual.  Won't know anything until 'the match', and then will know for certain (this is counting on her matching) in mid December.  She said that the hospital is now without a doubt #1 on her list as it "checks" all the boxes and has additional features that set it apart.  Birmingham is where we both want to be based on location, and is now where we both pray we end up.  Thanks for all the info, and to all those who are willing prayers that if this is the Lord's will for us that it come to pass.  Well wishes and happy thoughts would be extremely appreciated too!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#30]
sounds good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#31]
One year outlook for b'ham area overall is 3% increase.

Selling in 3 years would likely be break even at best when considering real estate fees.

No way would I buy for a three year gig.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One year outlook for b'ham area overall is 3% increase.

Selling in 3 years would likely be break even at best when considering real estate fees.

No way would I buy for a three year gig.

View Quote

I can ride out whatever comes. I've already got lots of rental property so adding another won't be a huge deal.  Bought a place here in Morgantown. The market here is different but I should make 10k on the place. Not great but for only being in it 22 months it should work out fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#33]
We are officially Birmingham bound will be moving down late June 2017. Super excited as it was the #1 choice of our 9 total options. The house hunt now begins in earnest.  If you are aware of any Historic/Older homes in the area that are in need of a big time remodel please let me know. We are going to be house shopping for your typical 3+br 2+ba homes as well, but would also be interested in a remodel project.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say west Homewood, Avondale, crestwood area .
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Congrats on your move. If you guys decide on living outside of B'ham proper...

I commuted to UAB during a span of 10 years. I live in the Pell City/Logan Martin Lake area.  IMO, I-20 east commute is not as bad as some of the other arteries. It's worst section for potential traffic delays is always beyond Irondale and into town.  I always dropped off the interstate there at Irondale and snaked up Montclair Rd, over the mountain. It comes out near St. Vincent's/highland/UAB. Not as quick a route (45 minutes) as I-20 if it's fluid, but way more consistent on a drive schedule in or out. That route also works great for folks in Grants Mill/Leeds area.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#36]
We're still in the looking/deciding stage. A commute over 30 isn't going to happen most likely. I think we'll be okay to look "somewhat" outside town as she wont be traveling to the hospital at typical rush hour times. That said closer the better after a 30 hour + call shift.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We're still in the looking/deciding stage. A commute over 30 isn't going to happen most likely. I think we'll be okay to look "somewhat" outside town as she wont be traveling to the hospital at typical rush hour times. That said closer the better after a 30 hour + call shift.
View Quote

Good deal and good for your lady.  Another variation of an eastern outlaying area you might want to peruse would be up highway 11, Trussville to Springville. More country-ish, but it runs alongside I-59.  Mix of subdivisions and farms out that way and fairly fast access to the core of town.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Homewood if you want to be able to walk to placesto shop and eat.
North of Bham, Gardendale to Kimberly would be good also
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Homewood if you want to be able to walk to placesto shop and eat.
North of Bham, Gardendale to Kimberly would be good also
View Quote

I really like the Kimberly area but 3 year home price outlook is leaning towards underperforming the +3%/ year greater Birmingham projected market average.  I can't guarantee we will be in the home for any longer than 3 years.  I know most would advise against a purchase at this point but I have my own philosophies on real estate. I also own several rental properties. That is another reason I'm not terribly worried about buying with such a relatively short guaranteed duration in Birmingham. And while I like the northern area, both resale and potential rental (ease of and rates demanded) seem to lean pretty heavily in the communities on the southern side of the city proper.  I've enlisted the help of a nice agent and she's sending me some listing tomorrow. I gave her a good bit of information and sent her one home I'm interested in. I'm excited to see if she's able to impress with the listings she pulls and what info she can provide.  

I greatly appreciate all the pointers, advice, and well wishes gents. Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Real estate in Bama doesn't work the like rest of the country.  Pretty flat here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Real estate in Bama doesn't work the like rest of the country.  Pretty flat here.
View Quote

Yeah. The expected value increase is pretty flat it seems with some areas that perform slightly better. I'm more concerned with my ability to sell reasonably fast or get a decent rental rate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Parts of downtown Bham and homewood is where the money is
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Mountainbrook is where the $ is
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top